Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP and cycle racing.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

nordicb wrote: »
    Have heard about this crash, sorry to hear about the damage, I hope nobody got physically hurt.

Did A4 as well, I don't remember being so cold waiting for the start, couldn't stop violent shivering!

On the other hand, managed to stay with the front group till the end, but didn't score.

I managed to stay upright thank god , couple of other lads werent so lucky ,1 possible broken ribs , another with a messed up wrist and another with a bad bang to the head .
    Im not sure what happened exactly , i just saw a lad wobble then heard a bang as he caught my derailleur and wheel , they said afterwards that there was a touch of wheels ahead and people braked hard .
    I dropped to the back of the group to recover after my failed attempt to get away at the start failed , just before the crash i said to myself id better move back up the group out of danger .
    Yeah , it was unbelievably cold at the start , i left that morning without a gilet or long fingered gloved and was seriously regretting it .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

29542079_10157260211116258_6920912530287447634_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=2e9c8c99cbbbb1b56292d7a17743392a&oe=5B32D7CB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Actually decided to take the P2M off the race bike this year as the Shimano crankset is a little lighter and I never looked at power during a race anyway.

Do miss the post analysis a little but will continue as I am.

Have the P2M on the training bike though, couldn't do turbo or intervals without it.

Happy using the race bike for Z2 spins, its refreshing not to have to be keeping to a particular average power, working to an average heart rate works fine for this (actually miss the cadence reading more than the watts)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Buy a cadence sensor? They often appear for sale on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RowanHarley

I've been looking at the ras an laois and it seems to come down to a bunch finish all the time. Could anyone tell me what power I'd need to put out to keep away from a bunch of A4's averaging 38km/h if I was in a breakaway of 3 or 4 riders maybe and when would be the best time to go. Link to the strava for 2017 race

• Advertisement

I've been looking at the ras an laois and it seems to come down to a bunch finish all the time. Could anyone tell me what power I'd need to put out to keep away from a bunch of A4's averaging 38km/h if I was in a breakaway of 3 or 4 riders maybe and when would be the best time to go. Link to the strava for 2017 race
    The race this year has an extra lap in it .
    How did your previous races go this year ?
    Do you feel strong enough to stay away ?
    Hard to tell what power you'd need to put out to stay away without knowing your ftp , weight etc . Plus its not about what power you need to put out its how you ride up to before you jump ( were you sheltered enough etc. ) , who is in the break with you , how you ride in the break , how the others ride in the break .
    A lot of lads , myself included , try and break away but blow their sides a few km up the road .
    In A4 its hard to get a break going because as soon as someone jumps the group chase them down immediately.
    My advice would be , learn how to sprint from a stopped start , this will give you the power to sprint if it comes down to it , but also the instant power to jump from the group to try and make a gap .

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

sullzz wrote: »
    Hard to tell what power you'd need to put out to stay away without knowing your ftp , weight etc . Plus its not about what power you need to put out its how you ride up to before you jump ( were you sheltered enough etc. ) , who is in the break with you , how you ride in the break , how the others ride in the break .
    A lot of lads , myself included , try and break away but blow their sides a few km up the road .
    In A4 its hard to get a break going because as soon as someone jumps the group chase them down immediately.
    My advice would be , learn how to sprint from a stopped start , this will give you the power to sprint if it comes down to it , but also the instant power to jump from the group to try and make a gap .

Put it this was at the race in Clonard I only averaged about 190 watts but normalised was 250w. I forced it on the drags but nothing was going away. You’ll be doing well to get a breakaway in the race on Sunday. Just race clever.

My last few races have been below average so I'm more wondering than thinking. Thinking back on the des hanlon, one of my clubmates got a sizeable gap on his own and stayed away for a good while. The group only caught him because of a long downhill. So it got me wondering, could a group stay away.

Also, where did you find out there was an extra lap? I haven't seen anything for the 2018 race.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

My last few races have been below average so I'm more wondering than thinking. Thinking back on the des hanlon, one of my clubmates got a sizeable gap on his own and stayed away for a good while. The group only caught him because of a long downhill. So it got me wondering, could a group stay away.

Also, where did you find out there was an extra lap? I haven't seen anything for the 2018 race.

Its always possible that a group or solo rider could stay away. In any race, even A4. It all depends how the race is going tactically. Are there lots of attacks? Is the bunch getting slower to react or people looking around for others to chase? All signs fellas are tiring or wondering what others are doing (or not doing).

The hillier the race the more likely breaks will form, but its not impossible in a flat race either. I was at Boyne GP (A4). Its mostly flat. A few attacks went with 1 lap to go and a solo rider either counter attacked out of that group or managed to put the head down and solo away. The mood in the bunch on that 4th and last lap that day was kind of let the attacks off. You need to pay attention and learn to read the signs of this kind of thing.

On the other hand reading the race is one thing, but going up the road is hard and theres no saying otherwise. You will need the legs to stay away. Keep trying, its all a learning process and the trying and failing will make you stronger both mentally and physically.

Edit:
    Rowan I see you asking lots of questions. Thats good. Id advise you to latch onto good racers or a good coach in your club and learn from them. If you want even, contact a coaching service like Matteo Cigala, they might have reasonable rates for a Juniors who are not working.

Sure breaks can stay away , one of my clubmates stayed away with 2 others in the Brendan Campbell memorial last year . You just need to have the legs for it , and the lads you are with need to be singing off the same hymn sheet .
    I attached a picture of the race advert

• Advertisement

Chumpski wrote: »
    Its always possible that a group or solo rider could stay away. In any race, even A4. It all depends how the race is going tactically. Are there lots of attacks? Is the bunch getting slower to react or people looking around for others to chase? All signs fellas are tiring or wondering what others are doing (or not doing).

The hillier the race the more likely breaks will form, but its not impossible in a flat race either. I was at Boyne GP (A4). Its mostly flat. A few attacks went with 1 lap to go and a solo rider either counter attacked out of that group or managed to put the head down and solo away. The mood in the bunch on that 4th and last lap that day was kind of let the attacks off. You need to pay attention and learn to read the signs of this kind of thing.

On the other hand reading the race is one thing, but going up the road is hard and theres no saying otherwise. You will need the legs to stay away. Keep trying, its all a learning process and the trying and failing will make you stronger both mentally and physically.

Edit:
    Rowan I see you asking lots of questions. Thats good. Id advise you to latch onto good racers or a good coach in your club and learn from them. If you want even, contact a coaching service like Matteo Cigala, they might have reasonable rates for a Juniors who are not working.

Didn't know they gave discounts to juniors. I'll give some coaches an email and get a quote. Who knows, I might be able to afford a coach by summer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Didn't know they gave discounts to juniors. I'll give some coaches an email and get a quote. Who knows, I might be able to afford a coach by summer time.

the majority of lads in A1 / A2 know of a good coach or are coaching themselves. you are in Galway? maybe ask in your local bike shop as well if they have an interest in bike racing... they will know of lads who coach. I can give you names of lads in Mayo but its a bit away if you want to meet up with them, testing, etc.

I had a coach previously (40 a month) and its given me a great knowledge of training. it brought me on leaps and bounds.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Power is not what you should be looking at here, dependent on roads, weather and the other riders in general, that can change quite drastically. If people go from the gun or they sit in and hunt down each break as well makes a huge difference.
    +1 and once you make the gap, keeping either the same speed as the bunch or higher.
    A good question to ask would be, looking at the fastest times on the course last year, could you do that solo?
    Chumpski wrote: »
    Edit:
    +1 a bit of structure, no matter how minor will do wonders. Matteo has a good reputation and does discounts for more hands off training AFAIK

If a group work well, definetly. The one benefit of A4 is that alot of lads are there for themselves and no one else, if a few get a break up the road and work together well, they can hold off the far more disorganised bunch which will only have a few strong riders dragging them along.

This weekend will be my first A3 race with Dungarvan the chosen location. Its near home so not far to travel to get a hiding.

I'm a few kgs heavier than last season and ftp is maybe 20 Watts below but form is good and while I'm expecting nothing I'm hoping to finsh it at least.

107km with Colligan Hill x 3 not exactly my fav conditions but it's a start point. If I can find a group after I get dropped ill do the three laps but if I get isolated I'll try get two laps in.

dahat wrote: »
    This weekend will be my first A3 race with Dungarvan the chosen location. Its near home so not far to travel to get a hiding.

I'm a few kgs heavier than last season and ftp is maybe 20 Watts below but form is good and while I'm expecting nothing I'm hoping to finsh it at least.

107km with Colligan Hill x 3 not exactly my fav conditions but it's a start point. If I can find a group after I get dropped ill do the three laps but if I get isolated I'll try get two laps in.

Nice one man , best of luck with it .
    Had planned on doing the Deenside cup , but havent been on the bike since last Sunday . Came down with some strange illness after the race in Bohermeen and havent been right since . Im having a shocking bad start to the season .

Nice one man , best of luck with it .
    Had planned on doing the Deenside cup , but havent been on the bike since last Sunday . Came down with some strange illness after the race in Bohermeen and havent been right since . Im having a shocking bad start to the season .

Thanks!
    Raparee Cup is my A race at this rage of the season so hopefully I stay fit till then and manage to drop 4/5kgs (unlikely).

Things haven't gone your way alright, hopefully things pick up soon. If you've picked up some unknown viral thing that could take sometime to shift, they can be nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

sullzz wrote:
    Nice one man , best of luck with it . Had planned on doing the Deenside cup , but havent been on the bike since last Sunday . Came down with some strange illness after the race in Bohermeen and havent been right since . Im having a shocking bad start to the season .

Was wondering where ya were last night. Another breakaway won.

dahat wrote: »
    Thanks!
    Raparee Cup is my A race at this rage of the season so hopefully I stay fit till then and manage to drop 4/5kgs (unlikely).

Things haven't gone your way alright, hopefully things pick up soon. If you've picked up some unknown viral thing that could take sometime to shift, they can be nasty.
    Yeah seems like some sort of viral thing , shooting pains in stomach most of the week , and in my back through my lungs today , finding myself breathless in work today . Hope it shifts soon .

Was wondering where ya were last night. Another breakaway won.

Really , many in the break ? Any of our lads ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

sullzz wrote:
    Really , many in the break ? Any of our lads ?

Mr Dunne was in every break from the start until one stuck. Got away with one other lad and another bridged on last lap. Ended up with 2nd. We got 2nd, 3rd, and possibly 4/5/6th as well. Results not up yet.

• Advertisement

DCC GP, disaster, dropped on first time up Colligan.

Soldiered on solo to do 2 laps as a training spin but time to reassess now for rest of this year and next. I'd have expected to do better so I'm feeling flat atm.

Now to get chips & burger to cheer myself up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

3rd in the Deenside Cup yesterday, great course. Very hard going but I prefer that. Just a couple more points til A3!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Race IVCA yesterday, puncture in first 10 k ;)

Using power now in races and will analyze them soon and put up whats I need to race

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Miklos wrote: »
    3rd in the Deenside Cup yesterday, great course. Very hard going but I prefer that. Just a couple more points til A3!

It is a good course isn't it, the climb defines the race

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

It is a good course isn't it, the climb defines the race

Yeah, a proper course! The race takes on it's own character, rather than the rather anonymous flat ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

There's an Orwell 2-Day on the CI calendar in a couple of weeks. Is it going ahead, can anyone shed any info on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 GabbaTheHutt

Hi Plastik
    It is going ahead! Permission was only finalised with Wicklow CC & the Gardai last week. We should be releasing details early this week.
    I'll post when announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Only done one club league race, but I think the racing bug has me. Would it be nuts to try and drop into A4 later in the season, when fitness levels are up/ everyone else has months of racing in their legs? Kinda thinking of seeing how I get on with the remainder of the spring league and then maybe upgrade the licence to dip my toes later in the summer...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Only done one club league race, but I think the racing bug has me. Would it be nuts to try and drop into A4 later in the season, when fitness levels are up/ everyone else has months of racing in their legs? Kinda thinking of seeing how I get on with the remainder of the spring league and then maybe upgrade the licence to dip my toes later in the summer...

Get a few more club races under you first. Club racing is faster and more intense than A4 but also far shorter IMO. What league are you in, I know my one, if you can hold in the bunch for semi limit you have more than met the standard for A4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Macy0161 wrote: »

ah jump right in... i never did league race before my first ever A4 (did 2 local reliability trials). you won't know unless you try it. but how are you bike handling skills?

Advertisement