Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP and cycle racing.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

martyc5674 wrote: »
    What I have noticed(and I'm only the odd sportive rider so bear with me) is that sportive riders will use a saddle bag but those racing will stuff everything into their jerseys(on club rides and sportives)
    Is there some saddlebag snobbery going on??!!

Yes, saddlebags are frowned upon in racing, it is in the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Hope you heal well!.
    Food for thought re the keys etc...

What I have noticed(and I'm only the odd sportive rider so bear with me) is that sportive riders will use a saddle bag but those racing will stuff everything into their jerseys(on club rides and sportives)
    Is there some saddlebag snobbery going on??!!

Completely destroys the aesthetics of an expensive frame.

Rule 29

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Cheers...is it from the same rule book where the socks must match your cufflinks, or is it actually a rule?

Cheers...is it from the same rule book where the socks must match your cufflinks, or is it actually a rule?

It's actually a rule, I've seen the commissaire ask people to remove them.

Technically it is the former, I don't think Comms have any issues with small saddle bags so long as they are secure to the bike. Loose ones could in theory be a risk.

Basically they look naff. Unless your audaxing there is no need for them. If your commuting, have the stuff in your bag. if your racing, in your follow car or your jersey pockets.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Technically it is the former, I don't think Comms have any issues with small saddle bags so long as they are secure to the bike. Loose ones could in theory be a risk.

Actually that sounds about right. The ones I saw removed were large. They don't have much use in a race, if you have trouble on a 1 day race you might as well give up and if it's a stage race the service car or a team car will have equipment to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Anybody got a strava link for the mullingar gp, i.e. for this course

http://www.lakesidewheelers.ie/news/mullingargrandprixsunday15thjuly

Anybody got a strava link for the mullingar gp, i.e. for this course

http://www.lakesidewheelers.ie/news/mullingargrandprixsunday15thjuly

Is this it?

https://www.strava.com/segments/1599175

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

tuxy wrote: »

That's it, yeah.

Well did yous all fare ok in yesterdays skittery conditions ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Anyone know what happened to the lad on the ground about 100m from the line at the Seamus Kennedy memorial over the weekend? Not sure if it was the A3 or A4 race but we passed it twice in the A1/A2 race. Just hoping he’s alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Anyone know what happened to the lad on the ground about 100m from the line at the Seamus Kennedy memorial over the weekend? Not sure if it was the A3 or A4 race but we passed it twice in the A1/A2 race. Just hoping he’s alright.

That was the A4 race , as far as i know when the sprint opened up a lad got out of hos saddle and lost control and hit the deck , a couple of others went down because of this , one Cuchulainn lad came out the worst with what i was told looked like a damaged shoulder / collarbone and a head injury .

Don't know what happened, A4 afaik, talking to another lad after the race and he couldn't tell if a fork broke or what. He said a wheel shot out across the road and I think three went down. The first lad didn't get back up of his own accord. All second hand info though so could be wrong.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Don't know what happened, A4 afaik, talking to another lad after the race and he couldn't tell if a fork broke or what. He said a wheel shot out across the road

That was his rear wheel that shot out from imact on the road , they were asking us ( i was only spectating as injured) if we had seen it as it was missing .

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

sullzz wrote: »
    That was the A4 race , as far as i know when the sprint opened up a lad got out of hos saddle and lost control and hit the deck , a couple of others went down because of this , one Cuchulainn lad came out the worst with what i was told looked like a damaged shoulder / collarbone and a head injury .

That was me. The guy in front hit the deck and I'd nowhere to go. Thought for a second I'd fly over him like sagan in paris-roubaix but then I just mashed into the tarmac.

AC joint separation, shoulder torn to bits, bruised ribs, lots of road rash and in a world of pain but nothing broken.

These things happen, nobodys fault. Could have been much worse. Luckily nobody else got too bad a smack.

That was his rear wheel that shot out from imact on the road , they were asking us ( i was only spectating as injured) if we had seen it as it was missing .

Jaysus, some crash for that to happen.

DKmac wrote: »
    That was me. The guy in front hit the deck and I'd nowhere to go. Thought for a second I'd fly over him like sagan in paris-roubaix but then I just mashed into the tarmac.

AC joint separation, shoulder torn to bits, bruised ribs, lots of road rash and in a world of pain but nothing broken.

These things happen, nobodys fault. Could have been much worse. Luckily nobody else got too bad a smack.
    Glad youre ok , you were lucky nothing broke , i think everybody was fearing the worse . It seemed like a bad one .
    I write this from my hospital bed whilst waiting for surgery to get my collarbone pinned back together from a similar accident 2 weeks ago in Moynalty .

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

Glad youre ok , you were lucky nothing broke , i think everybody was fearing the worse . It seemed like a bad one .
    I write this from my hospital bed whilst waiting for surgery to get my collarbone pinned back together from a similar accident 2 weeks ago in Moynalty .

Yikes. I just about missed that one too thank god. Get well soon. Week off to watch the tour i suppose!

Yikes. I just about missed that one too thank god. Get well soon. Week off to watch the tour i suppose!

Cheers , yep , wont know what to do with myself when the tour is over . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

Make the most of it, I've managed to catch most of the World Cup and all the tour so far waiting for the collarbone to heal!

Get well soon

• Advertisement

Anybody in Fermoy ? Am I hearing correct about the A4's catching the A3's after a lap ? A3s had a 2 min head start

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Glad you're ok DKmac, the crash looked awful. You were down for a while, I was fearing the worst.
    It happened at the back of the pack, but still took down so many. There were a lot of broken bikes too from what I could see.
    It was a good day for me, got 4th but pursuited my way to the line instead of sprinting but happy enough.
    Negative racing across all categories bar a1 from all accounts.

Glad your OK too, it was my neighbour giving me all the gossip, and the way he described it I wasn't expecting any good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

Anybody in Fermoy ? Am I hearing correct about the A4's catching the A3's after a lap ? A3s had a 2 min head start
    Did this race. Was racing in the A4's. We probably started a minute or less after the A3's. After about 6-7k of the 9k lap a few of us caught them. I rode trough towards the front of the A3 bunch after the start/finish of the 1st lap. I was sitting second wheel when a guy shouted for A4's to stop ridding as the main bunch had been told to pull in at start finish line. I eased up and about 6 of us were pulled in (at a school) and waited for the A4 bunch to be restarted and re-join us. Very disappointing having made a big effort on the first lap of a short race.

Really ****ty the comms couldn't give you the time gap, although 9km can be far to short a lap if you have a few strong lads willing to work. I would have thought that the A3s should have been pulled over once caught as is the usual.

we were left go just before the the A4 bunch was up to us but the momentum was lost. Difficult to start riding hard straight away after being pulled in for 2 minutes or so. The A4 bunch had restarted at the start finish line therefore they probably had about 2k of riding at least up to the time they rejoined us.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

That's an awful decision by the comms , did you approach them after the race? I do understand that's pointless in reality.

A3 looked soft in relative terms, sickened Iissed it as it was a season aim.

You are right, bad decision, probably due to surprise but as we have seen before, if it was a women's race or the A4 bunch in front, they would have been pulled in.

dahat wrote: »
    That's an awful decision by the comms , did you  approach them after the race? I do understand that's pointless in reality.

A3 looked soft in relative terms, sickened Iissed it as it was a season aim.
    No, but when we were pulled over at the school waiting for the A4 bunch I said to the comms that if we are delayed restarting there is the possibility of the A1/2's catching us and I asked him will we be pulled over again. I got no response! 
    Done and dusted now and managed to get a placing so not all bad! Just need to focus on next race.

• Advertisement

Anyone do Tuam today ? All routes were shortened by a lap, no reason given except that it was a commissaire decision. Anyone know why ?

Advertisement