Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP and cycle racing.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Im fecked so for 2017, A4's talking watts and ftps!

I remember that Stamullen race, I got away in the first break, the repeated climbs up Snowtown at that pace eventually saw my lard arse drop down the pecking order....

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

FTP is not a direct indicator of how decent you'll do in a race. You could have a high FTP but still ride like a moron e.g. ploughing off the front repeatedly and getting caught or sitting on the back and having to sprint flat-out through every corner to stay on.
    IMO FTP is useful for training but in A4 its the wheel in front you need to be watching not your watts. If you're planning a breakaway or sprint you'll need to go flat out to get away and stay away but sure everything is chased down anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

DKmac wrote: »
    FTP is not a direct indicator of how decent you'll do in a race. You could have a high FTP but still ride like a moron e.g. ploughing off the front repeatedly and getting caught or sitting on the back and having to sprint flat-out through every corner to stay on.
    IMO FTP is useful for training but in A4 its the wheel in front you need to be watching not your watts. If you're planning a breakaway or sprint you'll need to go flat out to get away and stay away but sure everything is chased down anyway.

I'd agree, most important things in Irish racing:
    1. Race sense
    2. A decent sprint
    3. Good Short term power in the 1-10 min range
    4. FTP

I would caveat that without an FTP sufficient to get you round in the bunch without suffering too much you are fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I would have to agree with this, I raced in the USA, where we had real mountainous races, I was able to place or win all the way through from cat5 to 2

Over here, there are no real mountains and if there are long climbs, there can often be a headwind and some rollers before and/or after a climb, which takes a toll on skinny guys like I used to be..... Ive seen a few seasoned lightweights that have power on the flats as well though, so they have an advantage....
    Inquitus wrote: »
    I'd agree, most important things in Irish racing:
    1. Race sense
    2. A decent sprint
    3. Good Short term power in the 1-10 min range
    4. FTP

I would caveat that without an FTP sufficient to get you round in the bunch without suffering too much you are fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Suspect you are right here even though you'll usually get 1 or 2 each year who just time trial away on their own and are out of the category in a flash.

First one this year

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/a4-riders-first-race-attacks-gun-wins-minutes/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

I know this young man and yes a serious talent. Mind you it runs in the family as his cousin Luke Smith(also from our club) was selected on the National Junior development squad. Luke rode the Junior Track Championships for the first time last year and won 2 golds a silver and a bronze on a borrowed bike! and that was a few weeks after his first ride on a fixed wheel!!. Shane has the ability to go all the way to A1 in next few seasons. Genetics play a big role in FTP :) Best of luck to all you budding A4 riders this season, stay safe and enjoy the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Cracking performance in fairness and sounds like he knew he had the power to stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Impressive-that's how to solo to victory!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

DKmac wrote: »
    ploughing off the front repeatedly and getting caught or sitting on the back and having to sprint flat-out through every corner to stay on.

But it is so much fun, I done it in several club races last year and enjoyed all of them. In one race I done it three times but the race was repeatedly neutralised for safety.

Ride it like you stole it in A4, tactics are for the higher up types.

CramCycle wrote: »
    But it is so much fun, I done it in several club races last year and enjoyed all of them. In one race I done it three times but the race was repeatedly neutralised for safety.

Ride it like you stole it in A4, tactics are for the higher up types.

As I'm a fat old man in cycling terms I'm quite likely to head off the front if I can manage it in a race or two. Highly unlikely to place in any race do may as well have a ball and enjoy the cost of the license at least.

dahat wrote: »
    As I'm a fat old man in cycling terms I'm quite likely to head off the front if I can manage it in a race or two. Highly unlikely to place in any race do may as well have a ball and enjoy the cost of the license at least.

Exactly! The fun is greater if you make the others work for their bunch sprint. Attack, attack. Sometimes they stick or you get like minded riders with you and you will be gone. I know you say you are no eagle, but it's always worth having a pop off the front at, or near the top of a hill/drag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭InTheAttic

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I know you say you are no eagle, but it's always worth having a pop off the front at, or near the top of a hill/drag.

I didn't make annaclone GP on Saturday, but my buddy did.

He told me that A4 were free-wheeling down the drags. He spoke to the fella who won and mentioned that the winner did not free wheel down the drags. He kept the power on and he won, in fantastic fashion!

Exactly! The fun is greater if you make the others work for their bunch sprint. Attack, attack. Sometimes they stick or you get like minded riders with you and you will be gone. I know you say you are no eagle, but it's always worth having a pop off the front at, or near the top of a hill/drag.

Exactly, the one time I got away in a club race was near top of a drag, quite enjoyed that night.
    As I have said I'd rather have some fun and see how we go but I'll wait till I get "race legs" first.

InTheAttic wrote: »
    I didn't make annaclone GP on Saturday, but my buddy did.

He told me that A4 were free-wheeling down the drags. He spoke to the fella who won and mentioned that the winner did not free wheel down the drags. He kept the power on and he won, in fantastic fashion!

Makes me want to race again...at 48, I may not win anything but I would certainly be attacking off the front just to be social :D

Makes me want to race again...at 48, I may not win anything but I would certainly be attacking off the front just to be social :D

Sssshhhh. Otherwise everyone will want to attack off the front during this weekend's Cycleways Cup and Mick Lally memorial races!! :D

Going to race in Limerick on March 12th as a starting point but in the week build up I'm not entirely sure how to go training wise..

Sunday spin...2 rest days (stretch etc) an easy 15km road spin, 2 rest days (stretch etc) then a 20k spin with 3/4 sprint's day before race.

How does this sound to experienced racers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

You're overthinking it. Just go and race.

On the week of a race I'll have commuted 46km each day Monday to Friday. I'll have done anything from 1.5 to 3h extra on a Tuesday evening. I'll have done an hour at a club league race on Thursday evening. And if the race is Saturday I'll race Saturday, or if it's Sunday I'll take Sat off.

Plastik wrote: »
    You're overthinking it. Just go and race.

On the week of a race I'll have commuted 46km each day Monday to Friday. I'll have done anything from 1.5 to 3h extra on a Tuesday evening. I'll have done an hour at a club league race on Thursday evening. And if the race is Saturday I'll race Saturday, or if it's Sunday I'll take Sat off.

Being honest I do over think things...

• Advertisement

I think you will be fine. You can regard the race as a hard training session too and you will only benefit from it even if you blow up. Now go and surprise yourself...best of luck!

+1 let the races being you on, so don't worry about getting dropped. Go into them with an open mind, put in a performance you're happy with and have fun as well.

Thanks all...Turn up and have a lash then. I'd love to get in a decent breakaway in one race at least this season. Won't be early doors but ya never know.

If he see a fat lad tearing off the front on a TCR at a race down South it will likely be me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Going to race in Limerick on March 12th as a starting point but in the week build up I'm not entirely sure how to go training wise..

Sunday spin...2 rest days (stretch etc) an easy 15km road spin, 2 rest days (stretch etc) then a 20k spin with 3/4 sprint's day before race.

How does this sound to experienced racers?

If you were racing a lot and had that routine before every race your fitness would go downhill rapidly.

Train as you normally would to improve fitness as if races did not exist and only when you get to Friday consider what you need to do to be both rested and primed for Sundays race.

Looks like I may head to Newbridge Sunday, weather dependant .

Apparently it's a handy enough circuit? Any one able to confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Its a hard circuit , couple of tough drags each lap .
    Clonard on the saturday would be a lot easier , flat and fast .

sullzz wrote: »
    Its a hard circuit , couple of tough drags each lap .
    Clonard on the saturday would be a lot easier , flat and fast .

Must have gotten them mixed up then.

Can't make Saturday so I'll see, how tough are tough drags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Haha haha...... Handy!!! I'm wondering what you mean by that?

Newbridge GP circuit has two climbs, neither very steep but the early season gallop means that they are taken at full whack each time.

Usually a good race with no place to hide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Must have gotten them mixed up then.

Can't make Saturday so I'll see, how tough are tough drags?

Thry are very manageable if you can climb , but it will split the group so make sure youre near the front

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

sullzz wrote: »
    Thry are very manageable if you can climb , but it will split the group so make sure youre near the front

To be honest, it's not about 'climbing' but whether you can knock out decent 3 and 5 minute power efforts.
    Some fairly lumpy lardy lads have contested the sprint on this circuit and the vets race there all the time. These aren't 'climbs' if we are being serious

Advertisement