Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP and cycle racing.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Homer1798

re the races this weekend, Rás Naoimh Finian is a great race to start as it's out and back (so if you have a mishap or get dropped you can turn around and wait for your race to catch you and ride home with them, but at the back so not to interfer with the race), the drag in the race is a main road climb and is taken at a decent pace as there's a KOH at the top, but then at 100kg if I can manage it, so can you (I've ridden it as A3/A4). The Newbridge GP is a harder circuit with 2 climbs, per lap and what kill the heavier rider (like me) is the lack of recovery between the 2 climbs, so if your ok at climbing and can hold your own on the flat either of these 2 races are for you. Rás tends to end in a bunch sprint, but I've also seen rders ride away on the outward leg and maintain their advantge to the finish.......... Newbridge als o tends to endin a gallop but with a much reduced field and a lot of tired riders...........As for FTP 320w but 100kg last November & I struggle on drags/climbs but motor on the flat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Flat or fast pace I can hold more than my own but just aware of the lack of recovery between the two climbs, at 100kg and an FTP of 235-240 I'd get up a drag but not at break neck pace.

Food for thought on both races as these are a good starting point with plenty of time to work on things for St Paddy's Day race.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

dahat wrote: »
    Flat or fast pace I can hold more than my own but just aware of the lack of recovery between the two climbs, at 100kg and an FTP of 235-240 I'd get up a drag but not at break neck pace.

You might well get round the Rás Naoimh Finian with those numbers, I wouldn't think you'd get round the Newbridge GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Haven't done either of those races so can't comment but it's early season so you might as well treat them as hard sessions to help acclimatise to racing. I did both races last week with no aim other than to bury myself, will hopefully stand to me in a few weeks when the body adapts.

As others have said Id treat this week near normal and perhaps shorten intensity one day out if you wanted to recover a little.

Hoping I can make Sunday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Homer1798

If your ok on the flat Rás Naoimh Finian is the one to do, suffer up the drags (it's the same climb in opposite directions & there's a fast descent after each one). If your worried about finishig in the bunch, save yourself untill after the return leg climb, if you make it in the bunch this far there's no reason you won't finish in the bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Between the two, I am planning for Newbridge. Flat and fast for A4 could be risky. Little bit of climbing in Newbridge should blow it apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Niamh Finian tends to get blown apart in the turn home.

Anyone got details on Broadford Saturday? Michael Shields race, details are thread bare on CI with only details for the race Sunday on the club Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Niamh Finian tends to get blown apart in the turn home.

Aye the main takeaways from this race are, watch for crosswinds and position accordingly, be near the front at the main drag on the way to the turn, the turn itself and the main drag thereafter on the way back.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Between the two, I am planning for Newbridge. Flat and fast for A4 could be risky. Little bit of climbing in Newbridge should blow it apart.

Little bit of climbing, even the Facebook page has it as two big climbs!!!!

Sunday suits me far better so I may be forced to go to Newbridge or wait for Ras na Limni.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I rode Newbridge twice in A4 and there was a crash on the climb in both, and at about the same point in the climb too.

First time the crash was right in front of me, it looked like two tired riders both zigged when one should have zagged and they took out each other and some neighbours. Second time the crash was behind me and I just heard it. On both occasions the pressure was on so there were tired riders everywhere.

And on both occasions the climb did break things up but the small breakaway that formed was caught by the (diminished) chasing group each time with a handful of kilometres to go. If you are away after the climb solo or in a small group, I'd suggest going hell for leather to stay away - the finishing straight is relatively safe for a bunch sprint but some of the twists and turns in the closing 1 or 2 kilometres are a bit tight so fine for a small fast group but no fun in a sizeable group of tiring riders getting twitchy at the prospect of the finishing line looming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Without doubt, the most significant feature of this weekends racing will be the weather, not the 'climbs'

Potential for 40kmh cold crosswind from the north on Saturday - God help any of the riders in the last third of the bunch in Clonard

Then westerly wind and rain Sunday so hard crosswind again on the exposed drag up Dunmurry in the Newbridge GP.

Just don't get stuck out in the wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Crosswinds are great. I don't like hiding too much so im happier knowing it makes everyone suffer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

JK.BMC wrote: »

Potential for 40kmh cold crosswind from the north on Saturday

Just don't get stuck out in the wind!

I've been tricked into marshalling :(

Best of luck to those racing this weekend. I have to wait till Ras na Limni for my A4 debut as being a 1 car household I can't travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Another solo attack in A4 today in newbridge , an orwell lad attacked on the 1st climb on the last lap and stayed away . With quite a gap after crossing the line , id say about 20 seconds .
    There are quite a few strong lads in A4 this year . im dreading the start of my season now .

sullzz wrote: »
    Another solo attack in A4 today in newbridge , an orwell lad attacked on the 1st climb on the last lap and stayed away . With quite a gap after crossing the line , id say about 20 seconds .
    There are quite a few strong lads in A4 this year . im dreading the start of my season now .

I was on his wheel for a good bit (and him on mine) for the first lap. The pace was varied, from flat out, to sitting up, with some fairly fast descending. He made the right call as they had put little effort into that climb on the lap before. Two of us were spinning up it like a club spin for a bit.

I was on his wheel for a good bit (and him on mine) for the first lap. The pace was varied, from flat out, to sitting up, with some fairly fast descending. He made the right call as they had put little effort into that climb on the lap before. Two of us were spinning up it like a club spin for a bit.

Did nobody spot him jumping , the usher lad who came 2nd in a 2 up sprint with another orwell lad thought he had won it , he crossed the line with his hands in the air , he said afterwards he didnt know there was a lad out front .

Nice to hear lads getting away tbh,all, i heard all winter was A4 breakaways never stay away etc etc.

Did nobody spot him jumping , the usher lad who came 2nd in a 2 up sprint with another orwell lad thought he had one it , he crossed the line with his hands in the air , he said afterwards he didnt know there was a lad out front .

Had he no team radio? ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

Nice to hear lads getting away tbh,all, i heard all winter was A4 breakaways never stay away etc etc.
    Ah yeah for sure , just disgusted i didnt put in a better winter :)

I'm sickened I could get a lift up as family car was unavailable.
    My first two races won't suit me but buzzing to get going now and I'll be off the front somewhere sometime.

Did nobody spot him jumping , the usher lad who came 2nd in a 2 up sprint with another orwell lad thought he had one it , he crossed the line with his hands in the air , he said afterwards he didnt know there was a lad out front .

I dropped off before this but he was in the group. Unless the Usher lad was sitting in and never noticed. When I dropped off, three Orwell lads were leading the charge, so not impossible if he took off while the road was winding before the turn.
    I heard about the Usher faux pas. If I had come second, I too would have celebrated though, so saying nothing. The only Usher lad I remember from the group had been sitting in most of the way round, so maybe he just missed it happening.

It's nice to have company in the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

I was taking a few photos on Boston, the A4 pack was in bits by second time round, at least 4 groups on the road with a couple of minutes between first and last, looked a hard race on riders, loads of muck everywhere.

Have some shots uploading, will share when they are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Is it true that a lad hit a car on the first lap and that caused a huge split initially in the A4 race?

Had my first spin with a Stages Power Meter on today, normalised power came in at 286 with AVG power at 221.

Had a few 30 sec sprint's and max power was 800 watts or so (questionable). I have entered my FTP on my 520 at 215 but I suspect it is a bit higher so I must do my next FTP via the head unit on the TCR.

Is it true that a lad hit a car on the first lap and that caused a huge split initially in the A4 race?

I heard that too .

Parked car?

• Advertisement

Parked car?
    Caused no split, just alot of laughter when he was seen to be OK. Happened on the first lap quite early. Orwell rider going up on the outside with others, they pulle din and he didn't see it best I could tell. A hard hit but he got up from it.
    So yes, a parked car.

Advertisement