Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

70 people in one house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Not surprised but plenty more out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

emo72 wrote: »
    solve the housing crisis. the final solution.

The bedsit crack down as a dumb move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

I'd imagine there's similar on going on all across the country unknown to the
    landlords.

There are still plenty of those.

People living in them are told not to answer door or go out rear etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

There are still plenty of those.

People living in them are told not to answer door or go out rear etc.

AFAIK DCC inspected most of the houses on the NCR and SCR for them. Most landlords either bordered them up or sold them on to be single family homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Conservative estimate pulling in 14000 grand a month. More likely 28000.

Most just took down divides if needed to and probably have more living in them then before.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

most of these are run by enterprising foreigners housing their mates etc… they rent a house off the landlord for the normal price suggesting that 3-4 people will be living there, those people sign the lease and the landlord is happy, a week later and they've put in a load of bunk beds they've got on the cheap and have removed almost all the furniture etc.. , landlords are none the wiser as they're getting their cash , these 'organisers' are providing cheap accommodation to other people from their country so they can send some cash home and they still make a few quid.

Often the landlord doesn't find out till the property gets handed back or an inspection is done. If you think anyone is paying a full 300+ for a bed in one of these then you're mad. Its almost always at a serious discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

listermint wrote: »
    Conservative estimate pulling in 14000 grand a month..

I can understand that English is probably not your first language, but I don't think they were 'pulling in 14 000 grand' a month.

That is 14 million. 😁
    Or 200 000 per person (70 people) per month. $$$$

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

P.C. wrote: »
    I can understand that English is probably not your first language, but I don't think they were 'pulling in 14 000 grand' a month.

That is 14 million. 😁
    Or 200 000 per person (70 people) per month. $$$$

400e per person, multiplied by 40, equals 16,000. They have space for up to 70-28,000. Per month, or 336k per annum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Please remember that this is the accommodation and property forum. Serious posts that make a positive contribution to discussion are appreciated. If banter and jokes are your thing there are other fora where this is encouraged, please take it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

TresGats wrote: »
    400e per person, multiplied by 40, equals 16,000. They have space for up to 70-28,000. Per month, or 336k per annum.

14 grand is 14 000

14 000 grand is 14 000 000

I don't think they are raking in 14 000 000 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Bedsits are still legal, I live in a house with five of them.

Also, are you calling for a return to Victorian slums because this is what this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It certainly was. A friend of mine was in that game, and he tells me that the bedsit-type accommodation suited the clients he had in them perfectly. When the new rules came in, he simply knocked a few walls and converted every three bedsits into one-bedroom apartments and rented those to young up-and-coming city types, while the poor bastards who originally lived in the building found themselves totally nuked out of it price-wise and currently find themselves residing in hostels and/or shop doorways. Yet another spectacular backfire. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Lux23 wrote: »
    Bedsits are still legal, I live in a house with five of them.

A bedsit as a contained unit with their own kitchen facilities but shared bathroom facilities was made illegal. If you're talking about small studios that have their own kitchen and bathroom facilities, those were not targeted by the law, neither were shared houses where both kitchen and bathrooms were shared facilities.

This is primarily a historical thing since so many pre 63 bedsits were in bad shape and they wanted to clamp down on this particular sub-section of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

A bedsit as a contained unit with their own kitchen facilities but shared bathroom facilities was made illegal. If you're talking about small studios that have their own kitchen and bathroom facilities, those were not targeted by the law, neither were shared houses where both kitchen and bathrooms were shared facilities.

This is primarily a historical thing since so many pre 63 bedsits were in bad shape and they wanted to clamp down on this particular sub-section of the market.
    It's crazy that shared everything (ie house share) is apparently legal while shared toilet but self contained cooking facilities are illegal.

In any case...those bedsits that were in bad shape were still a damn sight better than the proverbial doorway in December which is where many of their former inhabitants would up. Where else would they go.

There was a market for crappy but cheap housing as the people reliant on it simply didn't have the money for better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

murphaph wrote: »
    It's crazy that shared everything (ie house share) is apparently legal while shared toilet but self contained cooking facilities are illegal.

In any case...those bedsits that were in bad shape were still a damn sight better than the proverbial doorway in December which is where many of their former inhabitants would up. Where else would they go.

There was a market for crappy but cheap housing as the people reliant on it simply didn't have the money for better.

As I said it was to clamp down on that particular part of the market that was of poor quality. No one was complaining about the quality of studios or shared houses. Bedsit was synonymous with poor quality rentals, the bottom of the market.

Yes there is a market for these types of properties but I would never want the Government to row back on the standards required. If they still existed today they'd be full of Brazilians and Eastern Europeans like the house in the OP, not the homeless you point to.

Poor quality housing also leads to health problems, its in everyone's interest to maintain a decent standard of housing especially the taxpayer who funds the HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,900 ✭✭✭✭L1011

jimgoose wrote: »
    When the new rules came in, he simply knocked a few walls and converted every three bedsits into one-bedroom apartments and rented those to young up-and-coming city types,

For ever LL that did that, two more likely sold out and the house has been (re)converted to a single family unit. Know of two cases of couples, no kids living in what were ~15 unit buildings!

Many of the bigger houses had two units per original size room (partition walls) so it wouldn't be a 15 room house now. More like 4 bed, 2 reception.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

As I said it was to clamp down on that particular part of the market that was of poor quality. No one was complaining about the quality of studios or shared houses. Bedsit was synonymous with poor quality rentals, the bottom of the market.

Yes there is a market for these types of properties but I would never want the Government to row back on the standards required. If they still existed today they'd be full of Brazilians and Eastern Europeans like the house in the OP, not the homeless you point to.

Not necessarily Michael D, there were an awful lot of single men who lived in those bedsits and were happy to do so because they could afford it. And a huge percentage of the homeless now are single men. It's no coincidence.

The spotlight of homelessness now is completely on families and whilst I agree that children are a priority I also think it's almost impossible for a single person who wants to live alone for their own reasons to get accommodation now unless they earn a very good wage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

snubbleste wrote: »

I don't get what this is in relation to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

not surprising or shocking at all really this kind of thing is going on everywhere , i've a friend who works in Insurance for industry , he was carrying out an audit on a farm in Louth about 18 moths ago they discovered the farmer had an old barn that 40 chineese immigrants were living in , 1 toilet , 1 sink , 1 shower but not hot water or heating, said it was the worst he'd seen but far from the first.

When we were in college one of my mates lived in a gaff out in Ballymun the new part of it down near DCU , his Landlord had rented out the 4 bedrooms to a total of 13 people and had an African family of 6 living in the sitting room, that's 19 people living in what was a small enough 4 bed council house in Ballymun.

It goes on everywhere alll over the country and to be honest in the UK there are loads of Romaian workers living in tents etc under bridges to avoid paying rent. when rents are high those on the bottom will take just about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lux23 wrote: »
    Poor quality housing also leads to health problems, its in everyone's interest to maintain a decent standard of housing especially the taxpayer who funds the HSE.

But we cannot maintain it until we attain it.

Right now, single people ( especially men) who used to live independently in inadequate bedsits are having to live in state subsidised hostels because we got the order wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Right now, single people ( especially men) who used to live independently in inadequate bedsits are having to live in state subsidised hostels because we got the order wrong.

The other thing my mate said to me that most of the fellas renting the bedsit ween't able to maintain a regular-sized placed, most of them had some sort of issue - psychological, subdtance abuse, whatever - which made them extremely vulnerable and unable to function fully. At least people like my friend were able to provide them a service which meant they were comfortable, until that all went out the window.

• Advertisement

I agree, and if anyone were to check the standards in these homeless hostels they wouldn't meet a lot of the standards that have to apply to rentals so where's the sense?

At least in a bedsit you have a key to your door and your belongings are safe.

Advertisement