Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Bike Questions

• 23-01-2017 8:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi lads im looking for a bit of advice on getting my first bike. Im looking at getting into motorcycles properly for the first time. Im 26 years old and ive been advised to go straight for my A licence. My theory test is booked in 3 weeks time. The question I have is do people think a R6 is too powerful to start off on. Im after coming across a few nice ones that are within my budget. Would I be better off starting off on something smaller like a 250cc bike? Saying that Im used to riding scramblers and quads on the farm and I know to to respect the machine at all times and not act the idiot. Im about 6ft2 and 16 stone so would something as small as a 250cc be too small for me? Also would the insurance on an R6 be the same as a 17 year old trying to insure a sports car on a provisional licence?

Thanks In advance lads!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

6'2 and 16 stone, you'll be bored of a 250cc bike in about 5 minutes, and it'll fail to pull you at motorway speeds if you'll need to do that.

If you want an R6 and can insure one, get one. The rider decides the speed.

My advice would be to go sit on a load of bikes and find something that works for you comfort and style wise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭ThaiTanic

thats what I was thinking alright, thanks for the response!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

On an R6 you might be cramped and uncomfortable. Best try one before you buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

On an R6 you might be cramped and uncomfortable. Best try one before you buy.

What he said! Always sit on a machine and get a feel for it before you buy, mightn't suit your body. I'm 6' 1" and about 13.5 stone and I find the newer R6/R1's cramped, the older '98/'99 R1 is fine though. http://cycle-ergo.com/ is a good site for giving you an indication of what may suit ya.
    ThaiTanic wrote: »
    Also would the insurance on an R6 be the same as a 17 year old trying to insure a sports car on a provisional licence?

Good luck trying to get insured on a R6 first time!! Might be best getting a Hornet or Fazer or something 600cc but not supersports to start out on. Ring the insurer's to see what they do, Liberty or Principal are best for first timers from what I've heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

The sensible option wouldnt be an R6, let's put it that way. Sv650, hornet 600, fazer 600, all great beginner bikes and can do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds with a top speed of around 130 mph.

Youre limiting yourself to polar opposites, it's not like the alternative to an r6 is a 250. The alternative to an r6 for a beginner is a fz6 (detuned r6 motor). You'll learn faster and have more fun on a bike you're comfortable on too. Your ibt instructor will be able to help advise you too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭ThaiTanic

Thats the other thing, is it compulsory for me to do the IBT? Im going doing it anyway for obvious reasons but loads of lads told me I could get around it because I have my Theory done since 2008! I got onto the rsa yesterday who said they need to look into it. Think the IBT is only compulsory for those that passed the theory after December 2010, same way as the 10 car driving lessons pre test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Yes it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Nothing to do with the theory test, it's based on when you got your learner permit.

• Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭EIRE forever

Well for a start you won't be getting insured on an R6 on your first learner permit so dono even bother looking for one. I'm in my late 30's an just over a year ago I got my licence back after being away from bikes since I was in my 20's, I rang a few places for quotes on a 2001 R6 an most laughed an said nope not a hope. So my second option of bike was a DL650 V strom, I was quoted on that no problem. I'm on my second year now on it an just recently passed my full bike test. I'll be gettin a DL1000 now soon.
    Bottom line,stay away from the sports bikes for now,because you won't get quoted on a learner permit. Get somethin like a hornet etc. You'll have plenty of time to get your arse on an R6 or R1. Get some experience under your belt first.
    An remember.your safety is priority out there, don't be another statistic where last year alone I stopped counting at 10 riders that died from just being on a bike.not saying they did something wrong but the amount of dumbass cagers out there that nearly killed me is just retarded. Only for my driving experience in on the road with vans & cars since I was 18 I could react to it.
    Riding bikes in a field off road is totally different to being on the road, as I said you got cagers,trucks,busses etc. That just don't use good observation when driving. Bikers are invisible to them so always be aware of that an expect everyone of them to do something stupid that might just put you in hospital with your heart never to work again.

Good luck with your theory & IBT.

ThaiTanic wrote: »
    Hi lads im looking for a bit of advice on getting my first bike. Im looking at getting into motorcycles properly for the first time. Im 26 years old and ive been advised to go straight for my A licence. My theory test is booked in 3 weeks time. The question I have is do people think a R6 is too powerful to start off on. Im after coming across a few nice ones that are within my budget. Would I be better off starting off on something smaller like a 250cc bike? Saying that Im used to riding scramblers and quads on the farm and I know to to respect the machine at all times and not act the idiot. Im about 6ft2 and 16 stone so would something as small as a 250cc be too small for me? Also would the insurance on an R6 be the same as a 17 year old trying to insure a sports car on a provisional licence?

Thanks In advance lads!

Advertisement