Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 Dacias!

• 23-01-2017 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Upgrading mine and the missus' car this year. She's driving an 07 Clio and I'm driving an 06 Almera. Looking at getting the Dacia Sandero Stepway (probs a 2014) for herself and the Dacia Duster (probs a 2013) for myself.

Has anyone driven either of the above and if so, what are your thoughts on it?

Her driving is mainly Dublin back roads, small bit of motorway, while mine will be mainly motorway.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Have you looked at scrappage at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Stepway owner; 40k, two years, never missed a beat. Few toys, but fine and functional. Bit of value/choice in super cheap segment; look at i10 also maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd be a little wary of the early dusters in terms of rust proofing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'd be a little wary of the early dusters in terms of rust proofing.

Still no evidence of this being a problem in this country.

Any examples?

Are there differences between the ones we got and the ones in the uk? There have certainly been cases of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 2013/2014 Dusters were built in India and were not very well screwed together. You can tell the Indian built ones as they have a different grille to the later Romanian built ones. Basic models really are skin and bone when it comes to creature comforts so make sure you are happy with the cheap and cheerful ergonomics. Mechanically they are sound being using last generation Renault bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Are there differences between the ones we got and the ones in the uk? There have certainly been cases of it.

Have you any examples of that here. As anything I've seen is retaining condition and value.

I'm not knocking them, I'm just saying I'd be careful. They retain a huge percentage of their original price.
    You wouldn't see the rust unless you went looking for it under the bonnet and on the insides of doors etc.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

D Trent wrote: »
    Have you looked at scrappage at all?

There doesn't appear to be any scrappage deals on Dacia. My car is only worth €1-1.5k to a garage and hers is worth about 3k.
    zenith wrote: »
    Stepway owner; 40k, two years, never missed a beat. Few toys, but fine and functional. Bit of value/choice in super cheap segment; look at i10 also maybe?

I10 is just that little bit small for her. 2 kids, so the Stepway just gives that little bit more room!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The handiest place to check is to open the bonnet and have a look around the striker for for blisters.

They are all a bit flakey but they wouldn't rust worse than a 90's Ford. I wouldn't let it put me off buying one.

It's the unseen areas that aren't lacquered or lacquered as well that are the problem locations. Lower and inner faces of sills, inner door jambs particularly around drain holes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

listermint wrote: »
    Still no evidence of this being a problem in this country.

Any examples?

Yes, I've seen one returned to dealer with perforation issues (rust to you and me).i think it was 141

Needles73 wrote: »
    Yes, I've seen one returned to dealer with perforation issues (rust to you and me).i think it was 141

Im wondering does that echo Bazz26's comment above. The new model came out mid 2014, so 141 is probably still the indian built one. Suggests I need to aim for 2015 at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

The ma has a stepway from new for the past 2-3 years (not sure exactly) and has no complaint so far, it seems relatively solid, nothing went wrong at all with hers.

I drive it from time to time and wouldn't be bothered with it myself though. It's sluggish, feels like the engine is struggling to pull all that weight, which is odd considering it is not a heavy car by modern standards.

It's not connected to the road at all, it feels like it's floating over the road rather than being driven... I have the feeling I don't know where the wheels are when I'm driving it... You'd expect it to be comfortable then, well, it isn't, it feels trashy and not planted at all... It's like driving a citroen of old (with the hydraulic suspension) but without the comfort... And it is noisy, especially at motorway speed, and especially compared to the clio (from which it took many parts).

That's just me though, my mom is perfectly happy with it as a getting from A to B tool, but should your missus want anything more, I'd look elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is the early Indian built Duster:

dacia-duster-1-front-tracking_0.jpg?itok=U8sUmkZM

The later Romanian built ones have a different grille:

Black_Dacia_Duster_2015.jpg?view=Standard

Thanks Bazz. I might be able to get a 142 build of them!

Update: Bought a 152 Stepway today for herself. Hopefully will get it Tuesday. Few small things to be fixed on it before we take ownership.

Took it for a good 20/30 minute test-drive. 1.5tdci engine. Nice to drive. Interior is ok. Cheap and cheerful. Nice driving position. Nice acceleration when foot to the floor. Decent room in it. Headspace is actually huge!

Well wear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

GREAT NEWS

Thanks lads. She's happy with it, which is the main thing. I'll take it for a motorway spin once a week to keep the engine on its toes.

Next purchase will be the duster for myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I love the Duster. Its on my shortlist for next car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

bazz26 wrote: »
    This is the early Indian built Duster:

dacia-duster-1-front-tracking_0.jpg?itok=U8sUmkZM

The later Romanian built ones have a different grille:

Black_Dacia_Duster_2015.jpg?view=Standard

When the words Romanian and Indian and built are used in the same sentence it's time to run as far away as possible,

As a Romanian living in India your comments offend me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Had a 131 Duster model for 3 years.

Never skipped a beat and no rust problems.

Mine was white so rust would have been easy to see.

( Dont get a white one, It looks like a commercial vehicle. )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

As a Romanian living in India your comments offend me.

As long as your not involved in building anything you should be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭jingojonson

Had a 131 Duster model for 3 years.

Never skipped a beat and no rust problems.

Mine was white so rust would have been easy to see.

( Dont get a white one, It looks like a commercial vehicle. )

What did you do with the duster? would you mind letting us know if you traded it in and if so what model and value did you get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

I had the Dacia Duster ALTERNATIVE 1.5 DCI 110 BHP

Had it on HP and changed to a Renault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭jingojonson

I had the Dacia Duster ALTERNATIVE 1.5 DCI 110 BHP

Had it on HP and changed to a Renault

What did they allow for it against the renault? Reason i ask is im thinking of getting one but would like some idea what its worth after 3 years as ill be doing a 3 yr pcp

Car delivered this evening. All good with it. Took it for a spin. Nice kick off the turbo when it kicks in. Sitting beside my car, it's seriously larger than I thought! Only negative is that the viewing angles are awkward. Can't see where the car ends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

antodeco wrote: »
    Car delivered this evening. All good with it. Took it for a spin. Nice kick off the turbo when it kicks in. Sitting beside my car, it's seriously larger than I thought! Only negative is that the viewing angles are awkward. Can't see where the car ends

Good luck and safe driving with new motor .

Chuck up a picture at least !!!!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Monitor the rust with Dacias as one of the first posters in the thread mentioned. My father had terrible trouble with our 132 Duster and it was constantly going back and forth to the dealership. The problems continued to persist. He cut his losses for a 3k hit after just one year.

3k is quite good for a first years depreciation.

dnP5bX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alfaromeo84

My father works in a main dealers, and they will not trade in any Dusters, citing rust problems.

My father works in a main dealers, and they will not trade in any Dusters, citing rust problems.

A Dacia main dealer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

3k is quite good for a first years depreciation.

It is pretty good to be fair. I think he was let off a little because they sent it away three times and the rust kept causing problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alfaromeo84

A Dacia main dealer?

No, other multi franchise outlet.

No, other multi franchise outlet.

Fair enough. We usent take rovers back in the day.

It seems that all the rust issues affected only the Dusters, and if them, it was only the ones made in India (early 14 and previous) and only a small percentage. As with all stuff like this,we'll hear of the rusty ones and not the non-rusty ones!

Do all Mazda 6s still rust?

I think a lot of the rusty dusters were white.

I think a lot of the rusty dusters were white.

So about 80% of them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I see the Sandero has had a facelift recently. That and air con on the base models as standard are a nice little upgrade.

The sandero has standard aircon? How base is our base model these days?

Edit, price list says it's a €500 option on both specs?

The sandero has standard aircon? How base is our base model these days?

Yep according to the website, bluetooth connectivity too. We didn't get that stupid version they had in the UK with no radio etc.

Yeah, there's conflicting info on the website!

Window switches on the doors now!
    Then a pic of the dash with guess what (window switches)

Yeah, there's conflicting info on the website!

Window switches on the doors now!
    Then a pic of the dash with guess what (window switches)

I think those switches are for controlling the cruise control or something. Sandero actually looks like a nice little package for the price now.

Air con and Bluetooth on this. Window switches are on the dash, annoyingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

The wife bought a stepway last month. I actually really like it. Think its a lovely car to look at. Despite being just a raised sandero it looks sooo much better. Actually prefer the look of it to my own Kia Ceed which I just bought. I may buy a Duster next. Maybe im being extra observant but the Duster seems very popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

dnP5bX.jpg

Top class parking 😉

That's on the forecourt of the garage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

That's on the forecourt of the garage...

I know....someone still parked it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement