Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor to make a will

Options
  • 23-01-2017 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭

I need to update my will (last one was made overseas - not realistic to go back to the same place).

Looking for suggestions of solicitors who do this, ideally city-centre based, reasonably priced.

Suggestions here.

De-recommendations by PM welcome too.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

http://www.jfm.ie/

Did ours with them and was very pleased with the service. Located in Woodquay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Approx what does it cost to make an official will with a solicitor now?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Uk (MoneyAdviceServices) advises it to be £100 - £200 for a single, £150 to £300 for a dual.

Not specific to Ireland, but it might give you an idea of roughly what to expect.

A bit of Info here about the correct procedure involved in making a proper will.

http://www.lawyer.ie/probatewills/how-to-make-a-valid-will/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You can do your will yourself for free. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/before_a_death/making_a_will.html
    (include me in it)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Unless it's a complicated Will, why not write it yourself? I presume you know that though.

For reference, our local solicitors (not in Galway) charge 15-25 EUR for a Will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I got my done done in shannon a few yrs ago, cost 120-150 i think from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

It's really not a good idea to make your own Will. While it's certainly possible, for a relatively modest outlay of 100 to 150 to get a professional to do it, it's a false economy for what can go wrong.

This is particularly the case if you've any complication at all, such as foreign assets or even beneficiaries abroad.

Triangle wrote: »
    Uk (MoneyAdviceServices) advises it to be £100 - £200 for a single, £150 to £300 for a dual.

Not specific to Ireland, but it might give you an idea of roughly what to expect.

I'm no expert but 300stg for a will sounds outlandish to me.

I'm sure for the average person with nothing too complicated, a self made will following the correct procedure, containing the necessary signatures and especially the signature of the testator and in the correct place would more than suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Unless it's a complicated Will, why not write it yourself? I presume you know that though.

For reference, our local solicitors (not in Galway) charge 15-25 EUR for a Will.

Is this all inclusive? It would take a meeting with a solicitor to discuss, advise and agree. For €25? That's some bargain.

My own solicitor charges about €100 for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Practically all solicitors' offices advise on and draft wills. Most do so at a reasonable cost.

Certainly people can draft their own wills, or use precedents from the 'net.

May be OK provided statutory requirements re execution and witnessing of wills complied with

Difficulty is that if something is overlooked or some provision is unclear resolution of same after testator's death can be expensive or impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭benji2006

I would recommend Benen Fahy Bridge Street - above Fahy Travel, but don;t think there is any connection. See bfahy dot com

Did our wills a few years ago - very personable, gave good advice, and reasonable cost.

Having spent 7 years dealing with the fallout from another Galway-based "solicitor" over a parent's will, it pays to get this done right....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Had it done twice recently by two different solicitors. The will was written before going in and all they wanted was for it to be rubber stamped basically.

Very simple straight forward Will. Perhaps that made the difference?
    bobbyss wrote: »
    Is this all inclusive? It would take a meeting with a solicitor to discuss, advise and agree. For €25? That's some bargain.

My own solicitor charges about €100 for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

?Cee?view wrote: »
    This is particularly the case if you've any complication at all, such as foreign assets or even beneficiaries abroad.

Indeed.

I have both of those, and a desire to include a condition restricting access on funds until some beneficiaries are old enough to have some sense.

Thanks for recommendations, any others welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Indeed.

... old enough to have some sense.

You might need more than a lawyer's help for that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Which of us get galwaytransport.info? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

benji2006 wrote: »
    I would recommend Benen Fahy Bridge Street - above Fahy Travel, but don;t think there is any connection. See bfahy dot com

Did our wills a few years ago - very personable, gave good advice, and reasonable cost.

Having spent 7 years dealing with the fallout from another Galway-based "solicitor" over a parent's will, it pays to get this done right....

I guess its pretty hard to know if a will is up to scratch until your dead?

I guess its pretty hard to know if a will is up to scratch until your dead?

And I wonder will you know then either? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

And I wonder will you know then either? :)

Maybe not, but a mistake may haunt the next of kin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

nuac wrote: »
    Maybe not, but a mistake may haunt the next of kin
    At least they'd never forget you

• Advertisement
Advertisement