Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Officially Picking Things Up And Putting Them Down Again

Comments

Lads I'm getting excited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow. EDIT: and for Sunday!

Getting excited now after watching Hanley's video on the layout of RevFit for tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow.

Getting excited now after watching Hanley's video on the layout of RevFit for tomorrow.

Talc here and I'll have a clean gym.... Ah at least he has high hopes. We'll see how that works out :pac:

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Talc here and I'll have a clean gym.... Ah at least he has high hopes. We'll see how that works out :pac:

It'll be a Christmas scene in RevFit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Is there any specific layout on who is lifting when in terms of classes? Like certain ones Saturday, others Sunday.

Going to come down for a looksie on Sunday most likely.

• Advertisement

VW 1 wrote: »
    Is there any specific layout on who is lifting when in terms of classes? Like certain ones Saturday, others Sunday.

Going to come down for a looksie on Sunday most likely.

All men up to and including the -83s are on tomorrow morning. Tomorrow afternoon is the turn of -93, -105, -120 and 120+ men.

Sunday morning it's up to and including the -63 women. Afternoon it's the -72, -84 amd 84+ women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Best of luck everyone! I’ve had to pull out but I’ll still be there Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Cheers Alf! Best of luck to yourself and all others competing.

I never usually talc up maybe i should start
    Outside of the talc area

Remember kids....if you're wearing a top over your singlet to stay warm, make sure remember it is on and then take it off before you go on the platform. Such a rookie error was made today. Amateur hour.

#morto

#JeSuisAlf

• Advertisement

Remember kids....if you're wearing a top over your singlet to stay warm, make sure remember it is on and then take it off before you go on the platform. Such a rookie error was made today. Amateur hour.

#morto

#JeSuisAlf

How did it go otherwise??

bluewolf wrote: »
    How did it go otherwise??

Meh tbh.

Full report in my log.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

All men up to and including the -83s are on tomorrow morning. Tomorrow afternoon is the turn of -93, -105, -120 and 120+ man.

Sunday morning it's up to and including the -63 women. Afternoon it's the -72, -84 amd 84+ women.

Fixed your post there. One competitor = one winner :D:D

You looked so confused when everyone was shouting at you :D

You looked so confused when everyone was shouting at you :D

I had completely forgotten I was wearing it so I didn't know what the f**k was going on. It's a hand waving dime bars in front of the camera short of the perfect ad.

Morto when I looked down and saw the top on me :D

Are you cutting
    Nah
    Are you close
    Duno

Anyway weighed in now 81.5 for sub84
    Gulp
    I have petted 2 doggies so far. Lizzie just arrived :D

"how not to squat 105kg" with bluewolf
    +10 comp pb

Very happy with how that competition went.

Went 8/9 in attempts.

Had a small drop in squat playing it safe. Matched my bench from last comp and a 20ish kg drop in deadlift. I bottled my opener deadlift at 210kg somehow. Felt like I forced the weight to shift right like I'm compensating for the injury or something even though there was no reason to do that. Damn mind fuc* left over from the injury I guess. Was very annoyed to miss my first attempt that was only really an 87.5% so should have been quick and easy. Nailed it the second time though and my third was handy enough as well.

I'm happy with that considering I had a back injury only a few weeks ago throwing a spanner into the whole training cycle. Still managed to place third in my class so overall a good result. The difference between the 2nd and 3rd place to the 1st was just ridiculous though. I think was over 100kg :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

So as posted in te Achievement thread I had my first ever powerlifting meet this morning, organised by Arthur Lynch and Citygym, really geared towards novice lifters or those curious about competing.

There was no weigh in but I still wanted to have a rough idea so weighed myself at home before I left and was 82.9kg. If there had been weight classes I'd have probably skipped the office Christmas party last night so would probably have been a bit lower. Id be around the 83kg weight class anyway.

My original plan for openers had been 160/90/190 but after working up to these in Citygym during the week after the delay they felt way too light so upped everything.

Opened my squat at 170, felt extremely comfortable so went 180 for second. This was very comfortable as well so said screw it and went 190 for my 3rd, which would me a 5kg PB over anything in the gym, at 7kg lighter than my 185. This then also flew up! There was definitely 5 more there and maybe even the 200, so a bit disappointed to leave kgs on the platform but I'm sure that will develop with time and I learn my capabilities more.

I opened my bench at 100. This went fairly comfortable and equalled my competition style bench PB I the gym. Went 105 for my second and got this, but e bar moved slowly so only went to 107.5 for my 3rd. Unfortunately I failed this, left side just gave up about halfway up. Slight disappointment there but it's a 5kg PB done in an actual competition in by far my weakest lift (I'm basically a reverse gorilla:pac:) so I'll take it :).

Deadlift was a bit crazy. Opened with 205, which was very easy so upped it to 215 for my second. This pretty much felt the same so went 227.5 for my third for the 500lbs. This then flew up and felt like an opener! I genuinely have no clue what happened here. Before today my best was 220 from a few weeks ago which moved well but wasn't exactly easy. I honestly feel 240 might have been there but oh well you live and you learn and it gives me great confidence moving forward.Delighted to get an easy 7.5kg PB and get the 500lbs.

Lots to build on for my next competition, but an excellent starting point considering I’m now at my strongest ever! I had hoped if everything went well to get a 500kg total so to get 522.5kg and leave a lot behind was beyond expectation! My preparation wasn't exactly ideal, working 50 hours plus each week for the past month, studying 10-15 hours on top of that, living off 6 hours sleep on a good day, sitting the exam yesterday and then going to an office Christmas party last night, so have no idea how it all came together.

I enjoyed the day so much I have literally just taken out an IPF membership for next year! He plan is to do a slow enough bulk and compete in the 93s at some point next year and be completely destroyed as some of the lifters at that weight are sole goal will be to improve on today!
    To be honest my biggest achievement today was probably getting on the platform at all. Less than 2 years ago I was told I’d never be able to squat or deadlift again so I’m incredibly proud to go from there to today.

The competition overall was unreal; it was really well organised and the atmosphere was buzzing; everyone, supporters and lifters, were cheering and encouraging every lift, which was a big departure from other sports I've done! Everyone was really friendly and I had numerous people complement my deadlift afterwards. To anyone unsure about competing I'd really encourage you to give it a go, I genuinely don't think you'll regret it.

Also got a No Lift Powerlifting tshirt as a memento, everyone go listen to their podcast, it's a really good informal podcast with some great guests. And I'm not just saying that because I know some of the guys behind it...

I can't wait to go along to IPF Last Chance comp tomorrow, I'll definitely be cheering every lift on like was done for me today.

https://instagram.com/p/BcfE8-0Fnd4/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Well done great lifting. How long are you training?

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Well done great lifting. How long are you training?

In some form 11 years but only seriously in this style for a year and a half to 2. I initially started just cardio to drop weight when I was trying to drop weight and then added weights to this to help after maybe 6 months I think. Went from 18.5 stone to 13 at that point. Then I mainly used weights to support sports, rugby and then athletics) but I found there was only so much strength I could add when limited to pre season essentially. Also I would consider the first few years a bit wasted in terms of the usual bro splits, not really knowing what I was doing, etc. My weight was also down to 12 stone for athletics and I honestly did not feel great at this weight, strength suffered and it just felt unnaturally light for me.

Had to then completely rebuild my squat and deadlift from just the bar up after a hip issue that took about 18 months to resolve (after several misdiagnoses and suggestions of surgery, no lower body work during this time) and at the same time decided to just really focus on getting stronger with a view to competing as some of my friends had done so. That started last year so my current style of training began then.

Unfortunately lower body gains just seem to come more naturally to me so despite those lower body set backs my bench still sucks in comparison!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

In comps I assume you have to squat at least parallel to get a white light?

TRS30 wrote: »
    In comps I assume you have to squat at least parallel to get a white light?

Hip crease has to go lower than the top of the knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Hip crease has to go lower than the top of the knee.

Is that a fancy way of saying parallel?? :)

TRS30 wrote: »
    Is that a fancy way of saying parallel?? :)

It's the official rule basically :pac:. I would think of it as slightly below to be safe.

Yeah it’s slightly below parallel for IPF anyway. Other feds is different

This is from the IPF technical rules and shows required depth:

sq-apa.png

End of the line of the top of the leg indicates hip crease level.

This is from the IPF technical rules and shows required depth:

sq-apa.png

End of the line of the top of the leg indicates hip crease level.

I’d be more worried about his shocking mobility issues with his right shoulder :)

I’d be more worried about his shocking mobility issues with his right shoulder :)

That lad's mobility issues are the least of his problems, what with his right arm being so much bigger

• Advertisement

That lad's mobility issues are the least of his problems, what with his right arm being so much bigger

Prob the reason for the bad mobility in the first place

Deano7788 wrote: »
    I would think of it as slightly below to be safe.

This is it.

If you do decide to do a meet (and I advise you do), don't leave yourself wondering if you're going to be given the nod on depth. Put that beyond doubt in training so it comes through on the platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

allym wrote: »
    Yeah it’s slightly below parallel for IPF anyway. Other feds is different

The rule is the same for all feds

whippet wrote: »
    The rule is the same for all feds

Really? I was always under the impression that some other feds it was just parallel? Because people always give out about “IPF depth”. Must go research some of the other rule books

Really? I was always under the impression that some other feds it was just parallel? Because people always give out about “IPF depth”. Must go research some of the other rule books

I think its more that there's a perception that other feds can be a bit more lenient on depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

It’s all down to the refs on the day ... I’ve seen terrible calls in all feds including the IPF.

Mind you Equipped lifting gets most of the grief as the rules are the same as for raw lifting yet the Refs tend to be fairly lenient !!

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    It’s all down to the refs on the day ... I’ve seen terrible calls in all feds including the IPF.

Mind you Equipped lifting gets most of the grief as the rules are the same as for raw lifting yet the Refs tend to be fairly lenient !!

Yeah sorry I got very confused for a while there and realised that it’s more down to interpretation/strictness as opposed to the actual rule being different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There was one fed in America that interpreted the rule as "the judges opinion on the angle of the femur bone". Which was basically an excuse to white light obese SHWs when going for "records".

Signed up for the IPF Open in March. Woof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Looking forward to seeing an actual comp and it's on my doorstep. Seems like a cool throwback having it in a hotel. I can be on pints instead of monster!

Looking forward to seeing an actual comp and it's on my doorstep. Seems like a cool throwback having it in a hotel. I can be on pints instead of monster!

Should be a deadly buzz, man.

• Advertisement

Signed up for the IPF Open in March. Woof.

Yay! Exciting!
    I'm hanging on for July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I was tempted by March, but it's too soon for me. I want to be able to at least rep my current PRs before going near a platform again.

I was tempted by March, but it's too soon for me. I want to be able to at least rep my current PRs before going near a platform again.

I was going to hold off longer but timeline worked for me cos later in the year is going to be trickier but in an ideal world I might have done another block off high volume.

Where is it taking place?

Where is it taking place?

Sligeach.

Storm Body Fitness in Sligo Southern Hotel.

In for july \o/

Signed up for May, now to just hope my training continues to go as well as it is currently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

So I was considering doing a meet after the summer... I think I need something to get me off my plateaus!

80kg bodyweight
    180 kg squat (just cleared a 170kg plateau)
    170 kg Deadlift (stuck at for 3 moths)
    100kg bench (stuck at for 2 months)

I know it's not about winning etc, but I also don't want to place terribly... are these sh*te numbers? Does having the focus of the upcoming competition improve your lifting numbers?

brianblaze wrote: »
    So I was considering doing a meet after the summer... I think I need something to get me off my plateaus!

80kg bodyweight

I know it's not about winning etc, but I also don't want to place terribly... are these sh*te numbers? Does having the focus of the upcoming competition improve your lifting numbers?

you can check previous results here
    http://www.irishpowerliftingfederation.com/competitions/results/

Honestly though, i can't say this enough, everyone is going to cheer for you and support you and think you're awesome no matter what you show up and lift. The atmosphere is amazing and i strongly advise going for it.
    I think for your very first competition it's more important on getting through the day and knowing the signals and commands and surviving by lifting anything. It'll be a couple of comps before you can start worrying about 'competing'. And everyone, unless they're up at the top and even then, is just competing against themselves

brianblaze wrote: »

80kg bodyweight

Honestly, it really doesn't matter. People are cheered on loudly of they're first in their flight or last because where you place is irrelevant. Everyone up there is trying to set PRs and are supported loudly because of it.

I used think like that and didn't go into a meet because of it. Because I thought I'd be way adrift off second last. Then I did a competition and I don't think I've ever purposely checked to see where I was in relation to everyone else since. I had goals - for each lift and total - going into each one and either hit them or didn't.

Go for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement