Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Officially Picking Things Up And Putting Them Down Again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Cheers guys! Think I'll bite the bullet for it so! To the calendar i go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

brianblaze wrote: »
    Cheers guys! Think I'll bite the bullet for it so! To the calendar i go!

One of us, one of us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

brianblaze wrote: »
    So I was considering doing a meet after the summer... I think I need something to get me off my plateaus!

80kg bodyweight
    180 kg squat (just cleared a 170kg plateau)
    170 kg Deadlift (stuck at for 3 moths)
    100kg bench (stuck at for 2 months)

I know it's not about winning etc, but I also don't want to place terribly... are these sh*te numbers? Does having the focus of the upcoming competition improve your lifting numbers?

I remember when i had the mental barrier on 100kg bench, or any high. How are you approaching 100? Are you near spent? Could you do less reps beforehand and just go 105, skipping smaller increments? When you break it, you will hit 110 fairly quick I reckon. The cumulative effect of all those sub 100 reps!

On the deadlift, there are days when I struggle with 160/170 for a few reps. The next week Im doing 210 for 2 possibly because my mate was in the gym and we pushed each other. That, and maybe good sleep and food.

Mental, fatigue, technique, food, program. Cumulative % possibly preventing from breaking long term barriers. You'll get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

ixus wrote: »
    I remember when i had the mental barrier on 100kg bench, or any high. How are you approaching 100? Are you near spent? Could you do less reps beforehand and just go 105, skipping smaller increments? When you break it, you will hit 110 fairly quick I reckon. The cumulative effect of all those sub 100 reps!

On the deadlift, there are days when I struggle with 160/170 for a few reps. The next week Im doing 210 for 2 possibly because my mate was in the gym and we pushed each other. That, and maybe good sleep and food.

Mental, fatigue, technique, food, program. Cumulative % possibly preventing from breaking long term barriers. You'll get there.

I work 80, 90, 95, 100 and then 102.5 I don't get. I never get a spot though as I wouldn't trust anyone in the gym to spot a 100kg lift that I've seen there. I've tried skipping smaller weight before etc but no joy. I think I need to stretch more, that's a big deficiency in my lifting at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

Have you at least got side bars to protect you if you fail? I see too many lads in gym who don't bother when benching or squatting and it always freaks me out when they start to struggle. Almost got caught myself doing 3 reps at 125 a few months ago. Misaligned bars somehow. I was safe but it wasn't pleasant.

Where are your 3&5 rep maxes? Increase your lower weights by 2.5 to 82.5 to 97.5. Keep banging on that ceiling. Close the gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

bluewolf wrote: »
    In for july \o/

#metoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Me three!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I was going to put this in the general thread but it's probably more applicable to people training for a comp.

Do you train heavy singles much/at all?

I stumbled across this article when looking for something else and Mike Tuscherer lays out the difference of opinion he had with Boris Sheiko as regards how heavy someone can train in a cycle.

Mike T was of the opinion that a single @8 (or a single at a weight that would be a 3RM on a given day) wasn't a big deal and while it's stressful, it's a psychological stress more than a physiological stress.

Just interested to hear other people's experiences and whether or not heavy singles (90%+) play a part outside of peaking.

So gonna lift in the 93s in Sligo. Knocking around the 84kg mark and frankly just want to not have to be checking weight every couple of days. Was 83.5kg heading into the last and I didn't have to cut or anything but just be checking to make sure that I was within dumping reach of making weight on the day. Bit curious to see if it makes any difference.

And I'll be as competitive at 84kg in the 93s as I would at 83kg in the 83s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

And I'll be as competitive at 84kg in the 93s as I would at 83kg in the 83s.

Will the guys in 93s not be lifting more than the guys in 83s? Will you stick around 84 or just eat what you want as your unlikely to go over 93?

TRS30 wrote: »
    Will the guys in 93s not be lifting more than the guys in 83s? Will you stick around 84 or just eat what you want as your unlikely to go over 93?

Undoubtedly, yes. But I think his point would be that unless you are trying to gain a spot on the national team, worrying about weight cuts, etc is unnecessary. Just being as strong as you can be on the day is more important than being stronger than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Undoubtedly, yes. But I think his point would be that unless you are trying to gain a spot on the national team, worrying about weight cuts, etc is unnecessary. Just being as strong as you can be on the day is more important than being stronger than others.
    Ah ok got you, so competitive against ones self rather those around you.

Those competing to win almost certainly will be.

But I wouldn't have been in the running to win so what the lads at the top are lifting is irrelevant to me.

All I'm interested in doing is lifting as much as I can. If I set PRs I will be delighted. Where I finish relative to everyone else doesn't matter a jot.

I don't really restrict what I eat anyway so it's not about sticking anywhere. I just don't want to be checking and possibly have to manipulate things a little so that I'm in the 83s on the day and see what happens.

Yeah I've decided to move up as well. Was already on the upper end of 83 so didn't want to worry about longer cutting cycles to put on muscle. Currently at ~87kg now. Already busted some trousers and my lifting belt needs to be adjusted :pac:

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Yeah I've decided to move up as well. Was already on the upper end of 83 so didn't want to worry about longer cutting cycles to put on muscle. Currently at ~87kg now. Already busted some trousers and my lifting belt needs to be adjusted :pac:

Jaaaysus. Haven't you competed at 74kg or something?

• Advertisement

This was an action shot of Blacktie's second squat at that comp:

skeleton-squatting-wide.jpg?fit=395%2C253

Yeah actually weighted in at less than 72kg that day. Bout a year and a half ago now I think... Cutting down that far wasn't fun!

I just had an 1800 calories fajita meal for dinner. Going up is way more fun.

I'm pretty good at manipulating my weight one way or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

So last session done and planned openers decided for the May Open (or Mayo Pen if you prefer...) this weekend. Anyone else lifting or attending or anything?

I'll have a stand selling my patented lunchboxes for board lunchbox pressing.

I'll have a stand selling my patented lunchboxes for board lunchbox pressing.

Excellent so I can grab the gym's actual boards and wave them in front of you :p

• Advertisement

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Excellent so I can grab the gym's actual boards and wave them in front of you :p

Bit like waving a 'ham' sandwich from a filling station at me as I tuck into a properly cooled fillet steak.

And I could keep leftovers safely while I lunchbox press.

So last session done and planned openers decided for the May Open (or Mayo Pen if you prefer...) this weekend. Anyone else lifting or attending or anything?

I'm spotting in the Saturday am session. I think you're lifting that afternoon (insert creepy smiley here) so say hello if you see me.

Spotting is exhausting so I might see the PM squats, but doubt I'll stick around for the whole session. I'd rather get the 2hr drive back to Dublin done before I fall asleep.

I'm spotting in the Saturday am session. I think you're lifting that afternoon (insert creepy smiley here) so say hello if you see me.

Spotting is exhausting so I might see the PM squats, but doubt I'll stick around for the whole session. I'd rather get the 2hr drive back to Dublin done before I fall asleep.

Boards should really add this option...

Cool, I'll probably be in for a bit of the morning session before my weigh in (only live 10 minutes walk from the gym). Will definitely try to say hi before my warm up starts:).

Some savage lifting this morning. Some girl squatted 187.5kg and deadlifted 197.5kg. She got 207.5kg to her knees.

I'm pretty sure it would have been the first 200+ female pull in Irish PF. Could be wrong though.

I'm pretty sure it would have been the first 200+ female pull in Irish PF. Could be wrong though.

Bronagh McPeake pulled 200 at the nationals at just under 66kg...

Second ever powerlifting competition, first ever IrishPF one done and dusted. Went 8/9 again and made decent enough progress...

No prizes for which lift was worst:pac:

Squats went 215/225/230kg for a 40kg comp PB. Was absolutely dreading my first lift, had been struggling with depth all through my warm ups but thankfully managed to sort it out when it mattered. Also survived a bar roll on my opener. The 230kg was literally an RPE 10 and was probably the longest squat of my life.

Bench went 110/115/117.5X. Both 1st and 2nd attempts moved well but 3rd just died half way for some reason. Slight bit annoying but it’s still a 10kg comp PB so can’t complain. Just need to put some mass on and stop having skinny arms!

Deadlift went 235/250/260kg. 1st flew up so made the jump to 250. Also went really well so made the jump to 260. I was really surprised at how well this moved, it was only around lock out it got anyway difficult. 10kg more than I’ve ever managed in the gym and a 32.5kg comp PB. It was also probably the first time I’ve ever actually gotten emotional after a lift and literally screamed when I saw the 3 white lights and had got over 600.

Total went from 522.5kg in December to 605kg today so really really happy with my progress.

After my last deadlift was actually in 3rd somehow, ended up 4th by 2.5kg. Never expected to be anywhere close to that :).

The comp as a whole was unbelievable, really well run and amazing atmosphere. If anyone is even thinking of doing a comp, do it, you won't regret it!

Finished the day eating a load while grilling Barry Piggott on how to bench good :pac:.

Yeah, deadlift was scary fast for such a big PR. Wish the video got a little more of that victory scream

Yeah, deadlift was scary fast for such a big PR. Wish the video got a little more of that victory scream

I know, when I saw the video I thought, "No, they cut the best part off!" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Deadlift looked so comfortable, shot off the ground.

id say your ROM on the bench is about a foot more than most of the guys you are competing against. You dont seem to have any arch really

• Advertisement

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    Deadlift looked so comfortable, shot off the ground.

id say your ROM on the bench is about a foot more than most of the guys you are competing against. You dont seem to have any arch really

It’s something I’ve started trying to fix from last night. I’ve also widened my grip to see if it’s a stronger position for me and will reduce ROM further as well.

It’s something I’ve started trying to fix from last night. I’ve also widened my grip to see if it’s a stronger position for me and will reduce ROM further as well.

I've tried the wider grip cos longer arms. You have to really persevere with it to see if it's stronger. I just found that ultimately I find pinkieson rings is the grip I feel strongest through the ROM.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

I've tried the wider grip cos longer arms. You have to really persevere with it to see if it's stronger. I just found that ultimately I find pinkieson rings is the grip I feel strongest through the ROM.

Yeah i have relatively long arms too and pinkie on the rings is about as far out as I go as well, any wider just feels all wrong to me

I go ring fingers on the rings. I think I'd nearly go wider

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    Yeah i have relatively long arms too and pinkie on the rings is about as far out as I go as well, any wider just feels all wrong to me

I've done blocks of wider grip benching with index finger on rings and it felt a lot weaker than close grip would do, which tallies with how much my triceps come into my benching.

Tried index fingers on rings last night and it felt pretty good, so going to persevere with it for a while to see how it develops. Now is pretty much the ideal time to experiment anyway

Tried index fingers on rings last night and it felt pretty good, so going to persevere with it for a while to see how it develops. Now is pretty much the ideal time to experiment anyway

Yup. Worst case scenario it ends up being the equivalent of an accessory movement...you won't be weaker for it anyway:)

July comp times are up. I'm lifting on the Sunday morning. Recognise the names of two boardsies in my flight.

July comp times are up. I'm lifting on the Sunday morning. Recognise the names of two boardsies in my flight.
    Oo I'm Sunday afternoon!
    Might go in early and cheer for you guys so!

• Advertisement

Yeah I'll be lifting Sunday. If my back ever heals up. Ugh

If my back ever heals up. Ugh

Feck. I recall you posting something about your back. How is it?

Feck. I recall you posting something about your back. How is it?

I like to injure myself before competitions for some reason! Ah it heals to a point then I lift something that feels fine and the next day it'll hit me when I'm sitting down for a while. Desk jobs are not good for back injuries.

93.3kg. Guess I'll have to stop eating and drinking about 5 on Saturday and have an espresso in the morning.

93.3kg. Guess I'll have to stop eating and drinking about 5 on Saturday and have an espresso in the morning.

Hanley has experience with water cutting. Sounds like 0.6kg is small to what he did.

Hanley has experience with water cutting. Sounds like 0.6kg is small to what he did.

Yeah won't need a water cut. less than half a kilo is easy. A kilo or two is handy enough without a water cut too. I think when it goes over that is when I'd think about water cutting.

• Advertisement

I dont think I've done an afternoon weigh in before. Do you guys eat brekky and all

I dont think I've done an afternoon weigh in before. Do you guys eat brekky and all

Depends on my weight when I wake up. My scale seems to close to the comp one so I have a good idea where I am

I had one in May. If there’s no issue with making weight and stuff I ld say go for it.

Just maybe be sensible in what you eat...

As a rule of thumb, if you're 5kg below the weight limit, perhaps only eat 4.9kg of bacon for breakfast

93.1kg this morning. Sorted for weigh in tomorrow. Good luck to everyone lifting now and in the afternoon!

• Advertisement
Advertisement