Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone had an action engraved?

Options
  • 23-01-2017 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Thinking of getting the action of my trusty o/u engraved as at this stage I wont ever part with it. Anyone done similar, any recommendations of engravers or pics?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I would be interested to know too. But realistically, i seriously doubt there have been any gun engravers in Ireland since the days of Rigby, Trulock and Harris, etc and thats a long time ago now. There are of course engravers in the uk, working for the high end gunmakers like Westley Richards, Purdey, Boss etc, but they are unlikely to undertake outside work, and if they do, you would be left with a bill that would make a lotto winner cringe. There might be people who claim to be engravers, but i seen a guy in America with an expensive gun he decided to have engraved with his late fathers face, the results were like something a child had done with a crayon.

Look and drool.

https://www.theexplora.com/a-westley-richards-600-sidelock-double-rifle-back-from-engraving/

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

gunny123 wrote: »
    I would be interested to know too. But realistically, i seriously doubt there have been any gun engravers in Ireland since the days of Rigby, Trulock and Harris, etc and thats a long time ago now. There are of course engravers in the uk, working for the high end gunmakers like Westley Richards, Purdey, Boss etc, but they are unlikely to undertake outside work, and if they do, you would be left with a bill that would make a lotto winner cringe. There might be people who claim to be engravers, but i seen a guy in America with an expensive gun he decided to have engraved with his late fathers face, the results were like something a child had done with a crayon.

Look and drool.

https://www.theexplora.com/a-westley-richards-600-sidelock-double-rifle-back-from-engraving/

Thinking of having the mother in laws face engraved on to mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Just looking at that engraving there. I'm not so sure the image on the bottom of the action is politically correct. I imagine it's a very old piece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I imagine it's a very old piece

yeah, nearly a week :rolleyes:.

"Just returned last week from engraving is this fabulous .600 sidelock double rifle engraved by Vince Crowley"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Thinking of having the mother in laws face engraved on to mine.

Ooooh, what a thoughtful son in law you are!ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Here in UK there are a large number of bespoke gun engravers who would be more than happy to do some work for you.

One such company is Wisemans in Cannock, who do old school engraving. They quoted £1500 for a simple rose and scroll on a Browning o/u, and £2500 for rose and scroll with a small part-relief game scene.

That is remarkably cheap, considering the art and craft required, and the fact that you cannot make any kind of a mistake. Of course, getting a London engraver - mostly ladies, I'm told - to do it will add substantially to the cost, probably triple that as a minimum. A A Brown quotes between £6000 and £12000 - more for a bespoke scene.

You might find it hard to locate a gun engraver in Ireland, and I admit that I haven't found one so far.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

WOT.

tac

Advertisement