Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

• 24-01-2017 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone have any idea on the model S insurance?

Half thinking of trading in for one of these but given the 0-60 speeds I've seen I'm guessing insurance would be crazy? No other EV interests me at the moment, only the model S. I do like driving the wife's Leaf but the range would be useless to me.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not sure if there is even one regular in here who owns a Model S. Not trying to be smart here, but did you ring your insurance company? The base model S has a 0-60 speed that is slower than the fastest VW Golf, so we're not talking supercar performance here.

Do you plan to import one from the UK? I guess there are very few of them in this country. Haven't seen one in the flesh yet myself in Ireland. Funny thing is spend a few minutes on a motorway anywhere in the Netherlands, and you are almost guaranteed to see one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Cheers,

No I had planned phoning them today. Maybe I'm thinking of a certain model S type? Isn't there one on youtube thats outrunning sports cars? Perhaps I'm completely off!

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

There's a P90D up on carzone. There's also one parked regular at the chargers at T2 short term car park. Bono has one and a few tech entrepreneurs have one but yeah, we'd be lucky to have more than 20 in the country and that'd be a generous estimate.

I always love admiring the one in the T2 car park. It's stunning.

If you are serious about buying one I'd wait until they go on sale here, importing seems like a hassle, also they do have a few issues (power steering failing is one I've seen) which would mean trips to the uk to get them fixed.

There was also one up for sale last year second hand on carzone, I think it was a 151, unsure of the spec but the price tag was an eye watering €109K

They do have quality control issues, but Tesla is very good at fixing them. Free of charge. The cars have an 8 year unlimited warranty (is that the longest warranty any car comes with?)
    Maybe I'm thinking of a certain model S type? Isn't there one on youtube thats outrunning sports cars? Perhaps I'm completely off!

No, you're spot on. The base model has something like 300BHP and can do 0-100km/h in 6.5s. Which is slower than the fastest hot hatches these days. The fastest has something like 700BHP and can do 0-100km/h in about 3s. That's hypercar performance! Tesla call it "insane mode" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Hi,

Anyone have any idea on the model S insurance?

Half thinking of trading in for one of these but given the 0-60 speeds I've seen I'm guessing insurance would be crazy? No other EV interests me at the moment, only the model S. I do like driving the wife's Leaf but the range would be useless to me.

Cheers

Best to ring up and see what kind of quote you'd get. Most of the insurers don't seem to have any EV loading as yet like you'd see with larger engines in ice cars. They're usually cheaper than the equivalent ice as a result.
    Maybe there's still a prevalence in the industry that electric cars are like milk floats :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

unkel wrote: »
    No, you're spot on. The base model has something like 300BHP and can do 0-100km/h in 6.5s. Which is slower than the fastest hot hatches these days. The fastest has something like 700BHP and can do 0-100km/h in about 3s. That's hypercar performance! Tesla call it "insane mode" :p

*cough* ludacris mode *cough*

Ah yeah. It used to be called "insane mode" but they took another few tenths of a second off and now it's called "ludicrous mode" :p

Wouldn't mind giving that a go myself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

unkel wrote: »
    They do have quality control issues, but Tesla is very good at fixing them. Free of charge. The cars have an 8 year unlimited warranty (is that the longest warranty any car comes with?)

382hp with 0-100km/h in 5.8 seconds

My figures (from memory) were a bit outdated. Just looked it up and the cheapest (S60) has 320bhp and does 5.5s to 100km/h. Top speed is only 210km/h though, a lot slower than a VW Golf Diesel :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

In 2016 there were 7 new imports and 7 used imports into Ireland, so there must be a few around. I see one fairly regularly in Cork city (think it's been here at least a couple of years), but don't know the owner personally. Are any of them registered with the Irish EV Owners Association, or at least on the Facebook group?

• Advertisement
Advertisement