Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stigma between DJ's & Music Producers?

• 24-01-2017 2:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

Is there a stigma, or tension between nowadays type of DJ's and Music Producers?

I do find that there is huge tension, between the likes of DJs similar to 'Robbie G' and chart EDM **** that you have these 'real electronic' music producers kicking them down... I know I used to be a bit of a snob when it came to it, for instance, I live in Waterford,

and I'd much rather go to the local lads playing techno down in the nightclub on a Saturday night than the student night resident DJ playing 'Sweet Loving' over and over again, yet everyone's jumping around and loving it, but I'm convinced it's just that they 'dont have a clue'

The music production 'industry' is a bit backwards alright.
    For instance, I'm doing a course in sound engineering, and music production, and I'm the only girl out of 40 fellas....?

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

Not on anyone's side or trying to start conflict, but will someone help me out here, I'm sure there are plenty of you that get shocked when you see a resident DJ is someone who literally abuses/overplays shixxxxtty chart EDM (EDM is usually bad enough as it is)

is it because nightclubs don't know how their audience will act?
    unpredictable kind of thing?

Maybe its just preference at the end of the day but how the hell can anyone think that cringy BOOM BOOM WEEEOWOWW WEEEOOWWWW 'student' tunes as I call em, are any bloody good? Please someone tell me it's just a money making racket right?!?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Please someone tell me it's just a money making racket right?!?!

Of course. But it's not a racket. Mainstream clubs are full of people who wouldn't listen to hardly any house/techno/breaks during their own time. On a night out with a load of liquor down em they'll happily bop along to whatever Guetta, Garrix et al have out at the moment. Club owners know this and the Dj plays what keeps the crowd happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

The music production 'industry' is a bit backwards alright.
    For instance, I'm doing a course in sound engineering, and music production, and I'm the only girl out of 40 fellas....?

I find the gender gap a bit depressing also. Maybe its worse in Ireland? I mean our country is known for being backwards in its own right.

Luckily there are some very talented ladies out there that youll see on facebook groups honing their craft, but its still extremely male dominated.

Would love to see it balance out.

What style music do you want to create after the course btw?

Wish you the very best of luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Yeah it's quite the crazy! Feels like were back in the 60's ....

I mean really? 1 girl s.e student out of 40 males?

I Love practising and messing around with all types, but prodominantly ambient- melodic techno, along with maybe some funky spanish stuff which sounds odd. haha.

I Love practising and messing around with all types, but prodominantly ambient- melodic techno, along with maybe some funky spanish stuff which sounds odd. haha.

Sounds awesome and diverse!
    I absolutely love and make (or try to make!) melodic techno also!

I work with all hardware so i tend to record myself jamming instead of recording tracks into a DAW and getting them finished though, but I should really change that soon or I'll never finish anything. :P

Have you got a soundcloud or artist page?

Feel free to send them on them on here or in a pm, whichever you prefer.

Theres also 2 threads on here for sharing your tracks, one in Music Production:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055446056

and one in Dance Music Production which is more feedback orientated:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055583801

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement