Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orange Juices (sugar content)

• 24-01-2017 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I've heard a lot recently about the dangers of store bought juices given the high sugar content, just trying to understand it a bit more.

I know juice from concentrate is particularly bad because it has no fibre to counteract the fructose (that at least was one of my take away a talk I saw on youtube "Sugar :the bitter truth").

Is this the case for freshly squeezed orange squeezed? Walshes orange juice, for example, seems to be fairly legit, squeezed in Carlow and has a lot of pulp in it. The sugar content for a 500ml is 8g which is a bit less than 2 tea spoons. That doesn't seem like that much to me. Am I missing something else though? Would drinking one of these a few mornings a week (or daily) still be considered bad?

Any insight would be great!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

It would be good to know your motivation for asking. Are you trying to lose weight or are you just asking out of interest?

If its the former, I would cut out all orange juice (all juices tbh). The reason they're problematic is that juicing typically removed the fiber, but leaves all the sugars etc, so you end up consuming a lot. Like, you wouldnt sit down and eat 5 oranges in a row, and even if you did it would take you a good while. But you could drink the juice of 5 oranges quite happily in 5 minutes.

Also, any diet or weightless plan I've tried has always said roughly the same thing - don't drink your calories! They won't satisfy your hunger.

Also, are you sure its not 8g per 100ml? What you've put doesnt sound right.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not really trying to lose weight (though wouldnt mind shedding a pound or two along the way), I'm more just trying to eat "healthy".

If I juice an orange at home and put all the pulp in I presume that keeps all the fibre still and still fills you up the same?

The sugar content on the OJ i looked at this morning was surprisingly low, I'll need to drop back into the shop in the morning and double check!

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not really trying to lose weight (though wouldnt mind shedding a pound or two along the way), I'm more just trying to eat "healthy".

If I juice an orange at home and put all the pulp in I presume that keeps all the fibre still and still fills you up the same?

The sugar content on the OJ i looked at this morning was surprisingly low, I'll need to drop back into the shop in the morning and double check!

Thanks again

The pulp would be some fibre, but not all the fibre. Any part of the orange that you don't eat/drink is missing fibre.
    8g is suspiciously low. So much so that I reckon it's either an error, or it's the amount per 100ml not 500ml.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Just eat the oranges?

If you look at any overfeeding study examining sugar consumption; people asked to consume 25% calories (for example) as sugar will do so no problem with drinks but really struggle with fruit.

Some even fail with fruit but all can't wait for study to finish!

For me it would be about 8-10 large apples a day to hit 25%. I'd be able to do it but don't think I'd be looking for Apple 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The only way that 8g of sugar makes sense is it is per 100ml as others have suggested.

• Advertisement
Advertisement