Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Shoe: SIDI Kaos vs. Mavic Ultimate

Options
  • 24-01-2017 11:55am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So after 4 years, my Diadoras are getting close to their end of life. I didn't really look after them, but they still work and will continue to be used for awhile yet. The heel pad went and due to nothing but laziness, I never got replacements and i have now damaged the sole.
    I am now looking at my replacements and putting a little aside for them and above are my two favourites.

SIDI: Great reputation, replaceable parts which I will hopefully follow through with and keep in good shape. Looking at the Yellow as that is the colour I want:
    http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/3049/sidi-cycling-shoes

Mavic: Looking at the yellow again, strong reviews although not as many. http://www.wiggle.com/mavic-cosmic-ultimate-ii-road-shoe/
    I like the look of both but has anyone any real world experience with either and do they have any unadvertised negatives?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Anyone with either?

Bit of a price difference. About 60euro more for the Mavic but the Mavic are almost 100gr lighter per shoe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I don't have them mavic's but have the older Mavic Zxellium shoes. Great pair of shoes, narrow fitting but very comfortable. Have had them around 4 years now, used for at least 2 turbos and 1 longer spin a week and very little signs of wear. Few marks but nothing out of the ordinary. The only thing about them is their is like a yellow mesh that makes up a good bit of the shoe, once this gets dirty it's nearly impossible to get it clean again, and it doesn't take long to get dirty in our weather. Makes the shoes look older and a bit manky at times. Other than that though I would recommend the mavics I have, even with that I'd probably recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

My latest set of SiDis weren't as robust as previous pairs.

A racing colleague has similar problems. A broken shoe buckle during a race, and a cleat mounting screwhole that threaded itself under moderate force when fitting the cleats.

I' m not sure they are as good as they used to be. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

ive a pair of Sidi genius 5 fits a few years now and they are a great shoe. never had to replace anything on them.
    fit wise im a 48. i take a 12 UK converse. if thats of any help. I use 48 in Shimano which is a bigger fit. im a 48 in diadora which are a little bigger than the Sidis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The mavics jumped in price and the talk of SIDI not being the shoes of yesteryear, I took a risk and went with a pair of Giro Empire shoes.

Happy so far, sole is rigid, inserts for arches are a nice touch and easy to change. Loving the laces although not sure how they will hold up on long spins. The huge benefit is overshoes, no more pulling them over buckles and straps, slips on really easily and quickly. Happy out so far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement