Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dummy box

Options
  • 24-01-2017 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi,

I've finished building a house and while it is wired for an alarm I'm out of cash to get an alarm system installed. For the interim I was thinking about installing a "dummy box" outside to deter potential thieves for now.

Can anyone recommend any good dummy boxes? Would it need to be wired to the mains or battery operated? I'd prefer to wire it into the mains.

Thanks,

WM

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You would need a fully working bell if you wish to power it up and make it look the part.
    It will probably need 12volts DC not mains to power it.
    Don't let this give you a false sense of security. The loose dangling cables at your windows and doors etc will do more harm than any good a decoy box might do.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Hi,

Thanks. House is back form the road so someone would have to walk up and peek inside to see the cables. Just looking to put doubt into their mind & make them think twice about walking up to the house.

Can you recommend a box? I can find a power supply to match.

WM

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The Pyronix Delta Bell with back lighting would be the best as a deterrent.
    Just needs a 12volt dc power supply.

Advertisement