Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stage 2 (report writing job sim tips)

• 24-01-2017 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi guys I'm due to sit my stage 2 in early February wondering what I can do to increase my chances of being successfull I'm practicing my verbal and abstract reasoning but not sure what I could do to practise my report writing and job sim?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Hi guys I'm due to sit my stage 2 in early February wondering what I can do to increase my chances of being successfull I'm practicing my verbal and abstract reasoning but not sure what I could do to practise my report writing and job sim?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Hi Red lad,

This is what I did and it helped me for the report writing
    Go onto youtube and watch some of those american police training videos about incidents such as children missing etc , watch it all and try and write all the relevant info
    Rewind for anything you missed, as effectively on the day you ll be doing the same down in chapter house with public jobs

For the job simulation remember when your answering that
    1,safety for yourself and others is priority at all times for example if you discover somebody stabbed you try and give first aid don't go off running for a suspect yano?
    2,seek guidance and support from colleagues and your superiors in times of doubt , ring for backup before act etc ,
    3 honesty and treating people fairly and equally no preferential treatment
    Have thsee in your head and it will help

Good luck with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Vamp369

For the report writing get practiced at taking short hand notes quickly. What you should take down is the who, what/when (timeline of events), where (addresses, apartment number etc) and how (actions carried out by persons).

Before the test you should have decided on a basic structure for your report i.e. the main headings. You are aiming for clarity, coherence and lack of judgement.
    E.g: Prelims, Person 1 details and statement, Person 2 details and statement, time line of events and observations.

Adopt a third person writing style. For instance. Person 1 alleges that he was struck by person 2 with a bottle.

I followed the above and got a pass mark of 593.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Leeroyjenkins

I failed on the report writing exercise last year and I'm due to sit stage 2 again this month. I'd spent 5 years in the British army so I filled it out like I would have done them in the service but still failed I think my score was just under 400. Really have no idea how to approach it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

I failed on the report writing exercise last year and I'm due to sit stage 2 again this month. I'd spent 5 years in the British army so I filled it out like I would have done them in the service but still failed I think my score was just under 400. Really have no idea how to approach it.

I PM'd you

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭User16

I've never done it before and dunno how to approach it in 3 wks either. Reading tips on here is all the help I have, so thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

User16 wrote: »
    I've never done it before and dunno how to approach it in 3 wks either. Reading tips on here is all the help I have, so thanks guys.

This Study Guide for the Columbus Ohio Police Dept got me through the report writing. It gives you an example of the info they're looking for, plus an example of a good report and a bad one, under Phase II: Writing Sample. There is also a link to a youtube video like the one for the Gardaí. There is only one practice video though so make sure you do it under exam conditions! Best of luck.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.columbus.gov/police-recruitment/2015-Police-Officer-Study-Guide/&ved=0ahUKEwju-JHogeDRAhWnI8AKHRnuAKgQFggoMAA&usg=AFQjCNEYNgUg7pcjCtDsJZxtdC7V3aDdSQ&sig2=q3DgOkxY8upNXVMgIi5nGw

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭User16

Elliot192 wrote: »
    This Study Guide for the Columbus Ohio Police Dept got me through the report writing. It gives you an example of the info they're looking for, plus an example of a good report and a bad one, under Phase II: Writing Sample. There is also a link to a youtube video like the one for the Gardaí. There is only one practice video though so make sure you do it under exam conditions! Best of luck.

Aww cheers, nice one. Really appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 seamiemoggan

Im also doing this for the first time. Kinda nervous as my mate passed but said it was tough! What I have read here is very helpfull so thanks guys!

There's stage two done there today, missed one or two bits of info on the report writing exercise and am feeling a bit indifferent. Was wondering if anyone that passed had all the info or missed a few bits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭JC43

How do you start and end the report. I.e. Do you address it to the sergeant ? And is there a line that you close the report with . Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭JC43

How do you start and end the report. I.e. Do you address it to the sergeant ? And is there a line that you close the report with . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭BobbyDaisy

There's stage two done there today, missed one or two bits of info on the report writing exercise and am feeling a bit indifferent. Was wondering if anyone that passed had all the info or missed a few bits?

Don't worry I missed some key information and still passed you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Had my stage two today felt I done well other than missing one or two details on report writing video praying I done enough to pass all four exams not great for the nerves at all.

Had my stage two today felt I done well other than missing one or two details on report writing video praying I done enough to pass all four exams not great for the nerves at all.

Did mine there yesterday came out feeling okay then I started to analyse little bits of info I missed and now I'm not so sure. Waiting is a killer then to see that "we regret to inform you" ugh no thanks. Here's hoping we all passed.

Advertisement