Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubular road tyres

Options
  • 24-01-2017 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Hi. Planning on getting a new wheelset. Comes with the option of running tubular. Had planned on getting gp4000 because I hear so much about them but considering now tubular.....

Anyone have them. Any opinions?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Are these for normal use? What happens when you get a puncture?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

"Man intoxicated with glue vapors found on a roadside"

On the other hand, you will never look so class carrying a spare...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Ryder wrote: »
    Hi. Planning on getting a new wheelset. Comes with the option of running tubular. Had planned on getting gp4000 because I hear so much about them but considering now tubular.....

Anyone have them. Any opinions?

More likely that they have the option of running 'tubeless'............quite different. I dont know of any rims that could run clincher and tubular......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I dont know of any rims that could run clincher and tubular......

Tufo tubular clinchers (tyres) exist and appear to combine the worst of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I run tubular exclusively. At the moment running Conti Competition.
    What do you wanna know?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

koutoubia wrote: »
    What do you wanna know?

How often do you puncture? You glue them yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

What do you wanna know?

Do you use sealant in them?
    Do you carry a spare tub?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

What do you wanna know?

Great. Roll better than clinchers? Puncture lots and easy to change on road?

godtabh wrote: »
    How often do you puncture? You glue them yourself?
    I puncture no more nor no less then normal clinchers judging by stoppages on club spins.Considering that since I started riding I have more confidence when hitting potholes that the chances of a 'snakebite' puncture are lower then a clincher set up though it can always happen.
    Glueing wise: Yes I glue myself ALTHOUGH I will now be soley using Effeto Mariposa's Carogna tape*. Just the same BUT ZERO MESS compared to glueing. The tape really comes into its own when trying the impossible of mountung a Conti tub for the first time regardless of how long its been prestretched!
    Eamonnator wrote: »
    Do you use sealant in them?
    Do you carry a spare tub?
    I have started to use Caffelatex in them.
    Not using it long enough really to say how well it works...HOWEVER...I did have a Corsa tub that had a really hard to find pin hole. Stuck 30 ml of caffelatex in it gave it some air , a few revolutions and its still holding air.I will not use Tufo sealant*
    Yes I carry a spare. A well used pre glued Pave tub that is well stretched. I reckon I can have a tub changed and pumped quicker then a normal tube cahnge.
    Ryder wrote: »
    Great. Roll better than clinchers? Puncture lots and easy to change on road?

I love the way they roll. I use 25mm and run the front at max 90 psi and rear at between 95 and 100.
    Chnaging on the road!!!! What I do when I used to glue is right opposite the valve hole I only applied 1 layer of glue on the rim for about a section of 3 cms,
    Then when you need to pop the tyre off you have a starting to seperate the tyre form the glue/rim!
    Same with the tape except a much smaller piece. Say 1-1.5cm. THis gives a space to get the tyre lever (yes I still use a atyre lever) right under and between the tyre and rim.

* I will post up my thoughts later on (when the soaps are on) about what I have placed the asterix beside!

Right where was I .....Oh yeah asterix...
    Effetto Mariposa Carogna Tape:
    Superb tape in my opinion BUT I posssibly see a downside.Its designed that when you remove the tyre the tape stays on the tyre rather then on the rim.So what happens when you flat when your out and the sealant doesnt take! I also carry a bottle of ZOT! nano http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/effetto-caffelatex-zot-nano/rp-prod150134 so hopefully that will get it but if not there should be enough glue on my spare to get me home!

Tufo Sealant: I dont use it or recommend using it especially if your running latex tubes. If you let the tub go flat from not using it or whatever the Tufo sealant sticks the deflated tube togetherand when you go to pump it up blows the tube apart.
    Happened me two weeks ago. Went to mount a set of pave tubs I picked up on ebay and nothing happened. Seller had inserted tufo sealant and destryoed the tube.
    I took out the tube and it was in bits. Literally rotting away.
    Now folded up and ready to be sent off for re-tubing.

Myself and a clubmate can fix normal flat's but putting in a new tube ...well best left to someone with the right equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

My son races and ran tubs for a couple of years when moving from A3 to A2. He used them in some fairly serious stage races including Ras Mhuman and Suir valley. He does not puncture very much but uses clinchers now.

Would only recommend them if seriously into racing. They are more hassle and way more expensive.

Others have posted that you can do DIY tub changes but you them have to ask yourself if you trust your own work when descending off a climb at 60+ kmph.

boege wrote: »
    My son races and ran tubs for a couple of years when moving from A3 to A2. He used them in some fairly serious stage races including Ras Mhuman and Suir valley. He does not puncture very much but uses clinchers now.

Would only recommend them if seriously into racing. They are more hassle and way more expensive.

Others have posted that you can do DIY tub changes but you them have to ask yourself if you trust your own work when descending off a climb at 60+ kmph.

Frankly ..well Yes. I personally trust my own work rather then someone else's.
    While its a personal opinion of course I only find them a little more hassle then clinchers but well worth the ride from middle of the range tubs upwards.
    There are certain tyres I would avoid at all costs.But that would apply to clinchers as well!
    All a matter of personal opinion of course

Advertisement