Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another company used our credit cards details to pay a bill

Options
  • 24-01-2017 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, has this situation happened to anyone else?

We are a small business and we only just noticed an advertising company we used well over a year ago, recently (December) paid another company with our credit card. The advertising company won't return our calls and will not respond to our emails. So far the bank is refusing to return the money.

We have rang the company who received the money, they say the advertising company gave our credit card details to pay an outstanding bill and that is all they would tell us.

If anyone has been in the same situation, I would like to know how it was resolved and any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

How did the advertising company get your credit card details? I'd suggest you ask your bank to re-issue the card with a new number to prevent this happening again.

In the meantime, if the company is blanking you the best thing you can do is turn up on their doorstep. It's easy to ignore calls and e-mails, but less so if there's a person standing in front of you. And as long as you didn't give express permission for the company to use your card, it may also be worth calling the Garda Fraud Squad to see if there's a need to get them involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

sreilly37 wrote: »

We are a small business and we only just noticed an advertising company we used well over a year ago, recently (December) paid another company with our credit card. The advertising company won't return our calls and will not respond to our emails. So far the bank is refusing to return the money.

We have rang the company who received the money, they say the advertising company gave our credit card details to pay an outstanding bill and that is all they would tell us.

If anyone has been in the same situation, I would like to know how it was resolved and any help would be much appreciated!

If the situation is as you describe then it is straight up Credit Card Fraud.

You need to ring the credit card issuer, Visa or Mastercard NOT the bank. The contact number should be on the credit card.
    Tell the issuer that your card has been compromised and there are unauthorised payments.

The credit card company will reimburse the money, cancel your card and issue a new card.

Are the advertising company Irish? If so you should speak to the Gardai. This is theft, pure and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sreilly37

Hi, thanks for the responses.

We used credit card to pay at the time, that's how they got it. We never contacted them after the first ad over a year and a half ago.

I really didn't want to have the hassle of contacting the Garda fruad squad; but it may be our last resort. Mastercard only lists a US number with a note to contact the card issuer and Bank of Ireland we literally no help!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Given what you've said about how the company used your card number, I'd suggest that the Fraud Squad is now your first resort rather than the last. If I were you I wouldn't waste any more time trying to figure out what to do and I'd just call the Gardaí now.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mad about nuts

Is this not theft or some form off,report to the guards and also contact your bank and have all your details changed .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Just curious how you know it was the advertising company who used your card? Did the other company tell you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Was it to pay a debt incurred by you? Did they have your permission? If not, place a stop on the card right now. They must have been cash desperate to do that, so doorstep them and tell them unless you have cash immediately you are (a) going to the Fraud Squad and (b) inform the IAPI. Do not take a cheque or promises - even volunteer to go to the bank with them. I'd also break all links with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If there's being fraud call the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sreilly37

Yeah, we know who it is. The company told us the name of the company, and as it turns out we had put a listing on their site well over a year ago.

Its an online listing site similar to the Golden Pages (online).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

the bank are ignoring probable credit card fraud? Really?

• Advertisement

Was it to pay a debt incurred by you? Did they have your permission? If not, place a stop on the card right now. They must have been cash desperate to do that, so doorstep them and tell them unless you have cash immediately you are (a) going to the Fraud Squad and (b) inform the IAPI. Do not take a cheque or promises - even volunteer to go to the bank with them. I'd also break all links with them.

doorstep them? that's terrible advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Hi, thanks for the responses.

We used credit card to pay at the time, that's how they got it. We never contacted them after the first ad over a year and a half ago.

I really didn't want to have the hassle of contacting the Garda fruad squad; but it may be our last resort. Mastercard only lists a US number with a note to contact the card issuer and Bank of Ireland we literally no help!

I just read the Mastercard Fraud Protection web page

http://www.mastercard.com/ie/consumer/fraud-protection.html

I was wrong you need to ring the bank and tell them that there are unauthorised payments.
    WHAT TO DO IF YOU SUSPECT FRAUD

If your card is lost call the bank or financial institution that issued your card immediately. Your issuer may want to cancel your current card and issue you a new one. Check with your issuer to verify that your mailing address has not been changed.

If you still have your card but fraudulent purchases have been made, call your issuer to report the fraud and request a new card.

Unauthorised payments are very serious so it doesn't make sense that the bank is not being helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

Ehh, no!?

1) Call the bank
    2) Call the Guards if needed (or more likely the bank will liaise with the Guards so you probably won't be dealing directly with them).

It's not up to you to contact these people in any way, or to intervene with them direcly in relation to any crime.

ted1 wrote: »
    If there's being fraud call the bank.

the construction of that sentence hurts

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lawred2 wrote: »
    the construction of that sentence hurts

You are one to talk. Capitalise the first letter , and full stop at the end.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

OP, ring your bank and tell them that you didnt authorise the payment so they have to help you out then.

doorstep them? that's terrible advice.
    Ehh, no!?
    1) Call the bank
    2) Call the Guards if needed (or more likely the bank will liaise with the Guards so you probably won't be dealing directly with them).
    It's not up to you to contact these people in any way, or to intervene with them direcly in relation to any crime.
    Read my post.
    The OP needs to get his money back. That is the priority. Your comments show a lack of experience and basic ineptitude; get the Gardaí involved now and you are locked out of the equation, and say goodbye to your money for a long time, if not forever.

ted1 wrote: »
    You are one to talk. Capitalise the first letter , and full stop at the end.

Swing and a miss. Nice try though!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I suggest the pair of you give it a rest or you can take a break from the forum for derailing it with your nonsense..

Read my post.
    The OP needs to get his money back. That is the priority. Your comments show a lack of experience and basic ineptitude; get the Gardaí involved now and you are locked out of the equation, and say goodbye to your money for a long time, if not forever.

This isn't Goodfellas - regular people don't generally go around in tough guy mode doorstepping people they don't know for money..

Especially not when that money is owed because of criminal/fraudulent activities.

I think your advice is reckless personally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Call BOI card services, tell them it is not an authorised payment. They will probably mention POS and that they can't as how would the company have your details. Explain that you paid them a year ago and this is how they have the details. happened to me once, sorted over the phone, VISA said they would send out a letter and if it was found I lied, they would take the cash back (and worse). They will cancel the card, refund the payment and issue a new card.

Maybe worth flagging the company to the data protection commision for holding details without permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

This isn't Goodfellas - regular people don't generally go around in tough guy mode doorstepping people they don't know for money..

Especially not when that money is owed because of criminal/fraudulent activities.

Agreed. Going to their place of business would be fine if they were not paying a debt. This is fraud and needs to be handled by the authorities.

gargargar wrote: »
    Agreed. Going to their place of business would be fine if they were not paying a debt. This is fraud and needs to be handled by the authorities.

Who mentioned Goodfellas? Or 'tough guy'? Or 'people they don't know? It's one of their suppliers, which if you read the OP you would have seen! Do you even know what 'criminal/fraudulent' means? Debts are doorstepped all the time. You guys need to get out more and watch less TV.:rolleyes:

If the OP is true (which is why I asked the questions in my earlier post) the objective is to get the money back, not to be an indignant goody two-shoes. Fraud is one of the most difficult crimes to prove, the Garda Fraud Squad is seriously underfunded, understaffed and up to its bx in what went on in various financial institutions. A bit of an auld debt put on a credit card is not on their priority list. "That's grand so, thanks for reporting it to us, we will take it from here." Bye-bye cash and mots of the chances of recovering it. It is possible that the OP has compromised his position with the bank because he gave the debtor his card details, but it is worth a try.

Who mentioned Goodfellas? Or 'tough guy'? Or 'people they don't know? It's one of their suppliers, which if you read the OP you would have seen! Do you even know what 'criminal/fraudulent' means? Debts are doorstepped all the time. You guys need to get out more and watch less TV.:rolleyes:

If the OP is true (which is why I asked the questions in my earlier post) the objective is to get the money back, not to be an indignant goody two-shoes. Fraud is one of the most difficult crimes to prove, the Garda Fraud Squad is seriously underfunded, understaffed and up to its bx in what went on in various financial institutions. A bit of an auld debt put on a credit card is not on their priority list. "That's grand so, thanks for reporting it to us, we will take it from here." Bye-bye cash and mots of the chances of recovering it. It is possible that the OP has compromised his position with the bank because he gave the debtor his card details, but it is worth a try.

This isn't a debt that was incurred by this operator with the OP. This was fraudulent use of the OP's credit card to pay an unrelated third party. Nothing complicated or difficult to prove.

It seems that you, despite all your bluster, is the one who hasn't a clue what criminal or fraudulent means.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

i'd also report them to the data protection commissioner. They are using your personal (company) data in an inappropriate manner.

If you gave them your credit card number for a payment before, did it allow them to autorenew a payment for a listing? If not (or they used your card data to make a different payment) then is misuse of data (and fraud).

Also I'd be looking to find out which issuer processed the payment. Make a complaint to them that they company who used your card number are not PCI compliant.

spread the sh*t around for them.

@lawred, Your posts speak for themselves. Gargar's penultimate visit to this forum was to seek advice on a debt collection problem (which showed his inexperience) and now he's giving advice! People can make up their own minds!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

It's one of their suppliers, which if you read the OP you would have seen! Do you even know what 'criminal/fraudulent' means? Debts are doorstepped all the time. You guys need to get out more and watch less TV.:rolleyes:

Not sure how you think this is a debt:
    We are a small business and we only just noticed an advertising company we used well over a year ago, recently (December) paid another company with our credit card.

The card details were used to pay a third party. This is credit card fraud. You may be right about the garda but I would still pursue the legal route.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

Read my post.

And your advice to him is to go around like a hard man and make demands and accusations? Sounds like ineptitude to me and a potential recipe for disaster. As mentioned above this is a serious crime - fraud. Not someone wilfully not paying a debt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Its an online listing site similar to the Golden Pages (online).
    Are they still operating? Or have a social media presence?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Read my post.

It was a credit card, not cash. There is no need to doorstep them. You ring the bank card services, get them to issue a charge back and advise them of the fraud. It is upto them how they deal with it. Calling the Gardai is a waste of time and resources as this is what they will do on your behalf.
    Door stopping them is asking for the Gardai to get involved, your not a debt collector and the chargeback will put back such money straight into your account.

Advertisement