Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hipsters night out

Options
  • 24-01-2017 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

An offspring of mine works in 'Morketing'. He is not a hipster, but all his colleagues are. He has been asked to find a venue for an office night out, and is struggling. Any ideas/suggestions?

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Knacker drinking session by the canal with craft beer/paleo snacks - dressed in ironic tracksuit fancy dress - with an Instagram battle to round off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The Brewdock on Amiens St, craft beer pub, no doubt full of beardy people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Against the grain probably a better location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

kfallon wrote: »

Any of the Galway Bay pubs seem to be similar.

Black Sheep. http://www.galwaybaybrewery.com/blacksheep/
    Against the Grain. http://www.galwaybaybrewery.com/againstthegrain/

... to name but two.

But yeah, full of beards and "that" haircut.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bear in mind the Galway Bay bars don't open too late (Usually close about 1am or so) and keep the music level pretty low so no use if they want to go dancing or anything.

More information than "hipster" may be needed.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

oh gawd i hate the hipsters, it's happened. I'm old and grumpy :( !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

AnneFrank wrote: »
    oh gawd i hate the hipsters, it's happened. I'm old and grumpy :( !!

Well done.

Any suggestions for the OP?

Porterhouse is always a good "safe" place. Although it does pack up.

But yeah, more information would be nice. Numbers, are they having food, penchant for craft beers, live music / DJ or no music?

EDIT: Oh wait! Used to slag off a mate for going to the "Morket Boooor". So I guess that would be a perfect place? http://www.marketbar.ie/

(Although I have to admit their tapas are quite nice *insert Moss IT Crowd "tape ass" episode*)

There's another pretentious place across the road. Used to be known just as the "snail" bar (as there's a plaque of a snail above the door)

*googles*

Jesus. It's actually listed as "Secret Bar". It's just before the one on the corner there on Fade Street (Fade Street Social).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

P Macs.
    Hipster heaven.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Wigwam could be a good option. Caters for groups and events too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

me_irl wrote: »

EDIT: Oh wait! Used to slag off a mate for going to the "Morket Boooor". So I guess that would be a perfect place? http://www.marketbar.ie/

There's something about the acoustics in there that makes the noise bounce around at a certain frequency and makes conversation difficult; I always get a headache after about 15 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Liquor Rooms on the Quays
    The Apothecary Bar in Sam's Bar, Dawson Street
    Everleigh Gardens - for a corporate booking, say on a friday, you can book the place out from 7-11, before they open it up to the public

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

sabat wrote: »
    There's something about the acoustics in there that makes the noise bounce around at a certain frequency and makes conversation difficult; I always get a headache after about 15 minutes.

It's not for chatting. It's a place for basking in the glow of your own self worth..

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Cassidy's on Westmoreland Street. Genuinely a great spot for a pint, along with being drenched in hipsterisms, such as craft beer, arcade games including Street Fighter 2, board games, candles stuffed into bottles which are caked in the waxy residue of their exhausted wax coated brothers, graffiti on the walls, along with Star Wars nods, fussball table, as well as tasty pizzas for a decent price. All of this, plus a soundtrack full of bands his colleagues can claim to have been into "before they were big."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

The Bernard Shaw

So hipster you'll throw up

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Pete Moss wrote: »
    Cassidy's on Westmoreland Street. Genuinely a great spot for a pint, along with being drenched in hipsterisms, such as craft beer, arcade games including Street Fighter 2, board games, candles stuffed into bottles which are caked in the waxy residue of their exhausted wax coated brothers, graffiti on the walls, along with Star Wars nods, fussball table, as well as tasty pizzas for a decent price. All of this, plus a soundtrack full of bands his colleagues can claim to have been into "before they were big."

**needle screeches off record**

SF2 cab? An original one? Which version of SF2 do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Ciaran_B wrote: »

Yes, it's a cabinet machine, but I don't think it's an original.

As far as I remember, it was the original game though, whereby Bison, Vega, Balrog and Sagat are unavailable for selection.

Just to add, I haven't been in there in some time, so if you're planning on going in a pint and a few hours of "hadouken", then you might want to phone ahead and double-check the game is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Open gate brewery , guiness's tester bar for new beers.
    https://www.guinnessopengate.com/
    the lineup of beers change each week, nice small venue, decent music, good fun.
    Finishes up at 10pm so then head down to workmans or wherever after

Only open Thursdays and Fridays

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Ciaran_B wrote: »

They have one upstairs in the Square Ball too - don't have a clue which version it is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    An offspring of mine works in 'Morketing'. He is not a hipster, but all his colleagues are. He has been asked to find a venue for an office night out, and is struggling. Any ideas/suggestions?

OP are you secretly a hipster trying to drum up business ;)

Bring them to a pub, its a night out, they're not looking to be impressed, hipsters are people too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

has to be the backpage in phibsboro

http://the-back-page.com/

or Mulligans of Stoneybatter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

Is it an initiation test to join their ranks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My mate invited me to a do in the Morgan where we all went out to lie on the outside beds. Bit cold!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Workmans on Wellington Quay, Temple Bar. Hipster Central.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

P Macs, Market Bar, Liquor Rooms are full of wealthy posh folk and tourists, and every miniskirted, push up bra wearing 18 year old chung wan from Clondalkin/Tallaght etc go to the Workmans so wouldn't consider any of those all that hipstery

Black Sheep, Beer House, Dice, No Name and Chelsea Drugstore are far more hipstery I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Still fairly sure The Grand Social by Ha'penny Bridge is also a hipster mecca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Surely the freaks with Osama Bin Laden type beards and jeans so tight they are similar to womens leggings are a thing of the past you don't see many of them about now compared to a year and a half ago, the worst look of all time in the history of fashion, cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

kfallon wrote: »

Spot on,it was more my kinda shop when it was The Squeelin Pig/Master Mariner and had 7.30 am opening.Some motley crew drinking in there of a morning,happier times.For an ideal hipster hangout op should try the Back Page down by Broadstone bus depot,sweet jesus.Beards and thick rimmed glasses everywhere.The barman has dreadlocks and it features it's own on-site pizzeria and table tennis upstairs.A sports bar where none of the punters have kicked a ball in their lives.I reckon yer mans mates would love that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

All of these places are pretty well know so I am not so sure they are really "hipster" so it might be a bit boring. Why not get them to rough it in the Chancery or go to the dogs in Harold's Cross. If they are real hipsters, Pmacs won't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Thank you, Boardsies!! It's tough being a non-hipsters Mam these days. (Never thought I'd ever have reason to type those words). Thank you all. :-)

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Where did they pick?

Advertisement