Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible for two people (husband and wife) sharing one current account?

Options
  • 24-01-2017 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to share a single current account between 2 people - husband and wife? Would bank issue 2 separate ATM cards for both?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

yes, it's called a joint account. they issue 2 cards one in each person's name

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TestLink

Any disadvantages in doing this?

Which is the best bank for joint current account - AIB / PTSB?

what do you mean by disadvantages? I suppose, theoretically, one person could clear out the account. For large withdrawals, you can stipulate, joint signatures (as opposed to single signatures) if you like, to prevent that. i.e that both parties on the account have to sign for large withdrawals.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TestLink

By disadvantages, I meant setting up direct debit etc in each persons name, accessing the bank account via internet using two different credentials etc?

I don't know that. I expect you can just set up the DD in one person's name and have it come out of the joint account. E.g. Mr Test Link pays the ESB bill and it comes out of Mr and Mrs Test Link's account. or if the ESB bill is in joint names there is no issue either, of course

I don't know about the Internet banking aspect, because it hasn't arisen for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I have a joint account with herself with Permanent TSB

Either lodges money or wages in to it, we both have our own ATM cards, either can view and make payments online for bills etc. No downside

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Dearg81

The main disadvantage is you need both signatures if you want to do something related to the account like update address or add a new savings account.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

TestLink wrote: »
    Any disadvantages in doing this?

Yes. If your relationship breaks down, or even if the other starts behaving like an a** while you're still together, you can be left high and dry with no access to your money for months.

I'd even go so far as to say that they are a tool of choice for middle class domestic violence perpetrators.

Joint accounts are fine for truly joint expenses. But don't have one as your only account and don't keep savings in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Myself and my partner have a our own BOI accounts as well as a Joint BOI account.

We both put a set amount into the Joint account to cover all bills and joint payments.

We both use our own accounts for what we do individually.

Dearg81 wrote: »
    The main disadvantage is you need both signatures if you want to do something related to the account like update address or add a new savings account.

No you don't. I set up my own savings account online, as did my wife. Either of us can set up a new payee or direct debit. I regularly transfer money in to her savings account too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

No you don't. I set up my own savings account online, as did my wife. Either of us can set up a new payee or direct debit. I regularly transfer money in to her savings account too

S/He means a joint savings account, not a personal savings account

Joint accounts are fine for truly joint expenses. But don't have one as your only account and don't keep savings in them.

Why would anyone keep their savings in a current account, joint or otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

I'd even go so far as to say that they are a tool of choice for middle class domestic violence perpetrators.

Interested to hear why you would think this. How would domestic violence even non physical occur through the use of a joint bank account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

My wife and I share a current account. At the moment only my wages go into it but we have two cards and all the DD's come from it. I was also able to set up a savings account that I can access from my app and move money to and from instantly. Absolutely no problems but we're not money oriented people and it's one of the few things we don't kill each other over so it suits us well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Yes. If your relationship breaks down, or even if the other starts behaving like an a** while you're still together, you can be left high and dry with no access to your money for months.

Generations of people used joint accounts. Some of those may have been domestic violence perpetrators, but I wouldn't assume that someone setting one up is automatically an abuser. In single income families, which most used be, not having a joint account was more likely to be a sign of controlling behaviour. The earner would keep all the income and dole out grocery money to their partner for groceries etc, bit by bit. The non-earner would have to beg for money, and not have any discretionary spending.

There's no problem with DDs, ATM cards, internet banking or anything like that with them.

Disadvantages, as pointed out above, are if the relationship breaks down, there is always the possibility for one person to empty the account, but putting a limit on withdrawals might help.

Separate savings accounts are a good idea, if only to be able to buy the other person a present without them seeing the transaction.

If you're at the point of setting up a joint account, this is worth a read. It's not gospel, but there are some good ideas in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

TheBlock wrote: »
    Interested to hear why you would think this. How would domestic violence even non physical occur through the use of a joint bank account?

Full control of all of an abused spouses money would make it more difficult for the abused one to leave or to plan to leave. Had they a private bank account then it would be easier to put some money away to prepare for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Myself and my partner have a our own BOI accounts as well as a Joint BOI account.

We both put a set amount into the Joint account to cover all bills and joint payments.

snap.
    exactly the same.

Rather than cumbersomely working out fractions of rent or bills, we chuck a heap of cash into a joint account each month and have all direct debits for bills/ childcare or courses for the kids working off that.

We then have our own accounts for our own spending money, but with a couple of kids, theres not the time to spend my own money, if even there was an amount of cash there in the first place to be spent.

I cant see a disadvantage of having a joint account when all it is doing is acting as a means to pool your cash on a running basis to pay bills. Ours would never have more than a few hundred of a surplus so if one of us were to steal "all the money" , it wouldnt be enough to buy a flight out of the country to anywhere interesting let alone live in paradise for the rest of our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It depends on the relationship, we had a joint account right from the start and had no issues with using it. I did most of the day to day money management, my husband sorted the taxes, we had two cards and either of us could do anything with the account.

In the very early stages, just after we got married in 1969 I went to the bank to close my own account and put the money into my husband's, which then became a joint account and the bank clerk asked 'do you have your husband's permission to close your account?'
    And I had to get a note from him to allow me to close my own account and move my (earned) money to his account :eek:

Wouldn't be a fan of it at all myself (only having a joint account). Myself and oh are discussing setting one up not for shared expenses as totting up receipts from who pays what in grocery shopping, bills etc and always one owing the other is getting tiresome. But it would be a joint account we both paid an equal amount into each month and each had a card to use for buying shared stuff and bills could be paid out of.

No way would we have our wages going into it as we both see our wages as our own and would like them in our own private current accounts and to spend on things as we choose. Savings accounts kept separate too would be my preference.

jameshayes wrote: »
    S/He means a joint savings account, not a personal savings account

S/He said a Current Account

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

Dearg81 wrote: »

Every DD I sign says that I need the signature of all account holders, but I always just write my name only and it goes through fine.

Wouldn't be a fan of it at all myself (only having a joint account).

Nobody mentioned ONLY having a joint account. Myself and my wife have a joint current account, joint online savings account, individual Credit Union accounts and she has a bank savings account.

What it boils down to is we consider every income, bill, saving & liability to be ours together. The way we set up our finances is to suit the way we pay our dues and put aside any surplus

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭promises

Myself and OH have a joint account for paying bills only. Every week we both lodge X amount in to cover our main bills. We both have visa debit cards but never use them except for paying bills. Makes life a lot easier but would never get rid of our own accounts, in my opinion once bills is paid we should both have our own money to spend/save as we wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

This setup works incredibly well. Work out your budget for food, mortgage, electricity, savings, internet etc and each lodge half to the joint account. Then you have your own accounts for your own discretionary spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

TheBlock wrote: »

Do some work with Womens Aid or the like, and you will hear some interesting stories.

Not repeating details here, no need to give anyone ideas.

Nobody mentioned ONLY having a joint account. Myself and my wife have a joint current account, joint online savings account, individual Credit Union accounts and she has a bank savings account.

What it boils down to is we consider every income, bill, saving & liability to be ours together. The way we set up our finances is to suit the way we pay our dues and put aside any surplus

I took it that the op meant working off only one account.

As another poster above id intend a joint account just for shared expenses like food, esb etc but we will continue keep our finances and incomes are seperate otherwise and aside from shared exprenses all other money is our own to do as we please, our savings are seperate and spending is not discussed.

I took it that the op meant working off only one account.

As another poster above id intend a joint account just for shared expenses like food, esb etc but we will continue keep our finances and incomes are seperate otherwise and aside from shared exprenses all other money is our own to do as we please, our savings are seperate and spending is not discussed.

I appreciate that the majority of couples take the same approach, especially since partners living together is as much the norm as marriage. I still can't get me head around the fact that joint finances, to me, is an essential part of commitment. We never measured His & Hers income, nor did we watch what the other spent.

In our 30+ years together, we paid all our bills from the same account that wages were paid in to and we spent as we went along. I might fancy buying a treat for myself (talking over €100 a time) but I'd always run it by herself first. She would never stop me but might remind me that we had to get a tank of oil soon, or something like that. Otherwise we would just buy what we wanted.

Perhaps we're lucky in that money was never scarce (or overly plentiful I might add), so individual spending never had to be apportioned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

We do this too. Each of us retains control of our salary payments, personal credit card payments, etc, and contribute equally to the joint account each month for household expenses.

I like it this way because I saw too many of my friends get financially shafted when their marriages/long term relationships broke up.

I appreciate that the majority of couples take the same approach, especially since partners living together is as much the norm as marriage. I still can't get me head around the fact that joint finances, to me, is an essential part of commitment. We never measured His & Hers income, nor did we watch what the other spent.

In our 30+ years together, we paid all our bills from the same account that wages were paid in to and we spent as we went along. I might fancy buying a treat for myself (talking over €100 a time) but I'd always run it by herself first. She would never stop me but might remind me that we had to get a tank of oil soon, or something like that. Otherwise we would just buy what we wanted.

Perhaps we're lucky in that money was never scarce (or overly plentiful I might add), so individual spending never had to be apportioned

Each to their own but I couldn't operate like that with both salaries being mixed and feeling you have to mention that you are buying something or getting asked* about that round of jager bombs from the night club at 2am as there is a transaction on the joint account.

I earn my salary and its mine, she earns hers and its hers. Shared expenses are paid but after that I rather managing my own finances separately. Also if one of the couple spends more than the other regularly it could cause resentment as they are in a way "spending" the other persons money.

*I wouldn't be questioned on this but just picked it as a random example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Each to their own but I couldn't operate like that with both salaries being mixed and feeling you have to mention that you are buying something or getting asked* about that round of jager bombs from the night club at 2am as there is a transaction on the joint account.

I earn my salary and its mine, she earns hers and its hers. Shared expenses are paid but after that I rather managing my own finances separately. Also if one of the couple spends more than the other regularly it could cause resentment as they are in a way "spending" the other persons money.
    They're all just things that have to be agreed. Like you say, each to their own.

As far as I'm concerned all of the money that goes into the joint account is "ours", and if my wife arrives home with new clothes I don't ask what they cost and if she sees a €40 transaction from a pub, she doesn't ask.
    We trust eachother to spend money sensibly, so no questions come up when purchases are made.

Things might be different if one person has a regular tendency to blow hundreds of euro and leave themselves short at the end of the month.

Children also changes things, a lot. We operated separate accounts until our first came along because we had no reason to change. Now I cannot imagine how you could run a household with children if you didn't have a joint account for all income.

Advertisement