Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish club cyclist dies after weekend crash while riding

Options
  • 24-01-2017 3:14pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭

from stickybottle:

An Irish cyclist has died after crashing while out riding at the weekend, it has emerged.

The collision occurred on Saturday on privately owned lands in Co Tipperary at around 3pm.

The deceased man has been named as Warren Smith, a member of Ballyhoura Cycling club.

He was descending a trail at Ballingarry, Co Tipperary, when he crashed and suffered fatal injuries.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-club-cyclist-dies-after-weekend-crash-while-riding/

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Jesus awful thing to happen. RIP. Condolences to his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

RIP, was it an accident on the "Official" Ballyhoura trails?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Was this in Bike park Ireland ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I was up there a few weeks ago. Couldnt fault the place but I'd never do it again. Scared the **** out of me all day

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Lads, that place is someone's livelihood, can ye please wait until details are made public before speculating on where it occurred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Tragic accident. Could happen anywhere - it's wrong to focus or speculate on where!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Awful news. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Bike park Ireland confirmed as the location.

Honestly though I don't know why it has any relevance to anyone?

RIP to poor chap and thoughts to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

sparrowcar wrote: »

Because people are just curious to know where and how it happened in the same way they would ask what stretch of road a fatal collision happened on. It's just human nature and certainly not worth getting excited about..

RIP to this man and his family..

• Advertisement

Swanner wrote: »
    Because people are just curious to know where and how it happened in the same way they would ask what stretch of road a fatal collision happened on. It's just human nature and certainly not worth getting excited about..

RIP to this man and his family..

I wasn't getting excited, no need for the dramatic reply either.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

sparrowcar wrote: »

Everyone I know who has been to BPI thinks it has a substantially higher injury risk than other trails.

This "everyone" number is admittedly very small, maybe only two or three people, I can't remember.

I don't think this is necessarily a reason not to go there. There is a lower injury risk from sitting on the sofa but where's the fun in that?

I just think that people should understand what they're getting in to and exercise appropriate care.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Very sad news, rip. Bike park is full on, hope the staff are ok and the family of the deceased

Lumen wrote: »
    Everyone I know who has been to BPI thinks it has a substantially higher injury risk than other trails.

This "everyone" number is admittedly very small, maybe only two or three people, I can't remember.

I don't think this is necessarily a reason not to go there. There is a lower injury risk from sitting on the sofa but where's the fun in that?

I just think that people should understand what they're getting in to and exercise appropriate care.

I suppose so, my point was more that I get the feeling people wanted to know where it happened to apportion blame or open a discussion about BPI being a "dangerous place" which it's simply not.

There are parts of ticknock and ballinastoe for example that are lethal to inexperienced riders (large boulders as trail anchors). In the bigger scheme of things BPI is a very safe and well run facility.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lumen wrote: »

Having been there I totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

godtabh wrote: »
    Having been there I totally agree.

Folks, it's a gravity oriented bikepark for downhill/Enduro style riding same as bikeparks across the world, it's not intended to be another Ballyhoura. The trails there are well signposted according to their level of difficulty graded like ski-runs green/blue/red/black and each trail has a sign on it describing the level of ability required to ride it. On top of that you get a briefing on arrival on what to expect on each of the trails and provided with full-face helmet and protection. There are a million videos of each trail up on youtube, you can't really say you don't know what you are getting yourself into.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Folks, it's a gravity oriented bikepark for downhill/Enduro style riding same as bikeparks across the world, it's not intended to be another Ballyhoura. The trails there are well signposted according to their level of difficulty graded like ski-runs green/blue/red/black and each trail has a sign on it describing the level of ability required to ride it. On top of that you get a briefing on arrival on what to expect on each of the trails and provided with full-face helmet and protection. There are a million videos of each trail up on youtube, you can't really say you don't know what you are getting yourself into.

Personal responsibility is key and thats why I'd never do it again. I had more fun going up hill.

Personal responsibility is key and thats why I'd never do it again. I had more fun going up hill.

its unfortunate you had that experience but its understandable to, i personally think theyve done an amazing job on the place and the staff are fantastic. this is sad news all the same

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    its unfortunate you had that experience but its understandable to, i personally think theyve done an amazing job on the place and the staff are fantastic. this is sad news all the same

I'm not questioning the facility but rather the limits of my down hill ability. I enjoyed the basic hill going slow but never felt comfortable. I was never going to push it so spent most of the day climbing rather than descending

I'm not questioning the facility but rather the limits of my down hill ability. I enjoyed the basic hill going slow but never felt comfortable. I was never going to push it so spent most of the day climbing rather than descending

thats understandable alright, ive been violently thrown off my bike before, its not fun and has left me with a minor injury which i suspect is permanent. almost ended up on the deck at bike park before, rear shock oddly rebounded and i was facing the ground in midair at the wrong angle. thankfully i have a good bike and it dealt with it. only time i was truly scared at bike park. i suspect i was getting a little cocky and over-confident at the time, it softened my cough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

RIP to the poor lad and condolences to his family and friends. A loss that can never be got over.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

Very sad news. RIP.

A reminder to us all, to take care out there , whether it's down hill or road, there is always an element of danger to what we do.

Be safe

Advertisement