Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#OscarsSoBlack

• 24-01-2017 3:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Delighted to see the lovely Ruth Negga got a best Actress nod, but isn't a bit ridiculous now that the nominations are obviously heavily influenced by the #OscarsSoWhite controversy last year?
    Not that these shows matter a f*ck to anyone really, but any credibility for me is gone out the window now. Forrest Gump won all the awards the year of the Shawshank Redemption for example.
    Black women are the majority in the best supporting actress category for the first time ever.
    Good for them I guess, I could see this coming, but surely even the nominated actors must know it's all a bit silly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Negga please! It's just a Hollywood circlejerk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Yep its a complete load of Bol lox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

La La Land some how got 14 nominations, that tells you all you need to know about the Oscars and what they're worth..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Being rewarded on merit has long gnd out the window in the US. It's now rewards by quota. Can't wait for all the acceptance speeches doing a Meryl Streep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

GavRedKing wrote: »
    La La Land some how got 14 nominations, that tells you all you need to know about the Oscars and what they're worth..

I just can't bring myself to watch a musical. I do like Southpark the movie though.

• Advertisement

Being rewarded on merit has long gnd out the window in the US. It's now rewards by quota. Can't wait for all the acceptance speeches doing a Meryl Streep.

She's got yet another nom. 20 now I think.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Not that these shows matter a f*ck to anyone really, but any credibility for me is gone out the window now. Forrest Gump won all the awards the year of the Shawshank Redemption Pulp Fiction for example.

Just corrected that there for you. :pac:

I just can't bring myself to watch a musical. I do like Southpark the movie though.

What about The Producers? or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the original) or Muppets Christmas Carol?

Had to google that movie. Never heard of it. Man does that looks sh1te. But.... man do I fancy Emma Stone. Hmmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

She's got yet another nom. 20 now I think.

Any word on a nom for Hughie Maughan...surely there's a category just waiting....:confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

me_irl wrote: »
    What about The Producers? or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the original) or Muppets Christmas Carol?

Ok I love the producers :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You forgot The Blues Brothers!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Oscars is just a show where people involved in film reward themselves, and the rest of us are suppose to be in awe as the very wealthy actors/actresses who win, then go on to make political statements as if we should care what people who live in a bubble think.

Given most in Hollywood support the Democrats, it will be a moan fest if any high profile Clinton backer wins anything.

I might watch it for the tears over their loss of influence and lack of White House invites, and for Ruth Negga.

Zaph wrote: »

How could I?!? The first movie soundtrack I bought too!

Grease, the best of the lot.
    Also wizard of Oz, The sound of music, Singing in the rain, Oliver, The king and I.
    I'm sure there are more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

RobertKK wrote: »
    Given most in Hollywood support the Democrats, it will be a moan fest if any high profile Clinton backer wins anything.
    Jesus fucking christ, can some people not just switch off without making everything into a Democrat -v- Republican, Liberal -v- Conservative circlejerk?

They're just awards. Not everything is political.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

The best musicals are tranny musicals, 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch', 'Rocky Horror Picture Show',... eh... 'Yentl'? (Ok perhaps not Yentl...)

As for LA LA Land, well apart from the fact that Hollywood loves nothing more then movies that are a love letter to Hollywood, I'm baffled.
    It stars two stars that can neither sing or dance and look really awkward attempting either ...and it features jazz. It's not awful or anything, but it's not memorable either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Black women are the majority in the best supporting actress category for the first time ever.

Best supporting actress....still not leading roles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Joe Moneybags

The fact that they ignore foreign films for the vast majority of the awards shows how enclosed it is.

I always thought that the Oscars were for Blockbusters, and Venice, Cannes or Berlin for decent films. Sundance festival has some good winners as well. But then again, that's just my own personal taste.

gramar wrote: »

Here we go, time to get the popcorn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

seamus wrote: »
    Jesus fucking christ, can some people not just switch off without making everything into a Democrat -v- Republican, Liberal -v- Conservative circlejerk?

You must never have watched the Oscars.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/01/us/politics/politics-at-the-oscars.html?_r=0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Who cares about Hollywood celebrity wankathons. A room full of narcissistic tax evading politically correct idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The final nail in the coffin for the Oscars for me was when they gave Leo the Oscar for his role in The Revenant. Far from his best role, and he won for that one! Psssh.

A room full of narcissistic tax evading politically correct idiots.

Is that the dail?

Actually the Hollywood heads seem to use it as a political soap box more and more now. He's got a point, I'm willing to bet we're gonna here a lot of 'Trump is bad' speeches. I for one am looking forward to that part.

I'm willing to bet we're gonna here a lot of 'Trump is bad' speeches. I for one am looking forward to that part.
    That will probably be the highlight of the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I watched it last night and from a cinematography and musical standpoint it's a good movie.

It all depends on what you like and I'd be in to the 'big band' type of music occasionally.

It's written and directed by the same guy who did Whiplash which I thoroughly enjoyed as well.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

My older brother brought home Moulin Rouge back in 2002 and simply insisted my dad and I watch it because it was as he put it '.....brilliant.'

We lasted 20 minutes. We've never spoken of those dark 20 minutes since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Ah in fairness, seamus, the Oscars have always been used as a political platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

gramar wrote: »

I always call this the "Best at helping someone else pretend to be someone else, while pretending to be someone else...yourself" award.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

The final nail in the coffin for the Oscars for me was when they gave Leo the Oscar for his role in The Revenant. Far from his best role, and he won for that one! Psssh.

Sometimes, you are just 'due' an oscar - like Martin Scorcese getting one for 'The Departed' because he was scandalously overlooked in 1990.

To solve all this arguing, they should just kind of split up and divide the awards, one for white actors and one for black, kind of segregate them of you will, then there will be no controversy.

...wait.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They should have thrown a real spanner in the works and nominated mainly Asian actors. Nobody would have known what to whine about then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Ah in fairness, seamus, the Oscars have always been used as a political platform.

Who wants to hear it? People will tune in to see who wins the awards and to support the shows they like. If people want to hear politics and talk about politics they will go to a Democratic or Republican convention. Stop bringing in politics to every fabric of society. Its divisive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

To be fair, while a lot about it of is still horse-crap, the Oscars are slightly more credible these days, at least you do see smaller movies getting a Best Picture Nomination, now that they've expanded the field for up to ten nominees. A lot of the processes behind the whole shebang are political gamesmanship still, but it's a damn sight better now at acknowledging movies of merit than what it was even ten years ago.

There was an obvious over-correct in the number of Black acting nominees this year, which is to be expected after the backlash. Though as a result of the furore they did open up the membership of The Academy somewhat; what was previously not that diverse of a bunch, made up largely of old white guys, now contains a lot more female and minority voters. So don't expect to see a whitewash again any time soon.

Edit: Just to add as well, as a response to the Poster who said The Oscars aren't political, The Oscars are always political. Look at the list of winners and nominees throughout the years and you can usually read through them the issues that Hollywood wants to be seen to care about and/or endorse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Stop bringing in politics to every fabric of society. Its divisive.

I've never even been to the states let alone the Academy Awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

To solve all this arguing, they should just kind of split up and divide the awards, one for white actors and one for black, kind of segregate them of you will, then there will be no controversy.

...wait.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BET_Award_for_Best_Actor_%26_Actress

I hope Will Smith boycotts it again. And his wife, and probably his mother. The tool. He wasn't even the best actor in Concussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Grown men watching musicals. It's just not right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The Oscars haven't been about merit since before most people posting in this thread were born.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/eamonn-sweeney-hollywood-should-spend-less-time-feeling-superior-to-sport-and-more-time-learning-from-it-35368230.html

This article from the Sino (I know, I know....) two weeks ago sums up my thoughts exactly on the "empowerment" that political speeches like Meryl Streep's one at the Golden Globes bring......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Negga please! It's just a Hollywood circlejerk.

Yes, they picked a relatively unknown Irish actress for her skin colour over all other performances by well known coloured actors last year.

The only thing that annoys me about the Oscars is that Meryl Streep gets nominated for every film she makes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They should have
    Best white CIS actress/actor
    Best non-white gender-undefined entity on screen

biko wrote: »
    They should have
    Best white CIS actress/actor
    Best non-white gender-undefined entity on screen

Believe me, the argument over #oscarssobinary is a coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I hope Will Smith boycotts it again. And his wife, and probably his mother. The tool. He wasn't even the best actor in Concussion.

He's such a clown, glad to see his Oscar bait this year "Collateral Beauty" got completely panned, his performance in "Focus" should see him excluded from getting any acting award ever again imo.

The Oscars were never out of order anyways, The ethnicity of actors in Hollywood is overwhelmingly white, and the awards ceremonies should reflect this, If anything black actors have been over represented in recent years it's Latinos and Asians who are really being overlooked.

Yep its a complete load of Bol lox.

Followed up by a load of Bo tox on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭xlogo

Delighted to see the lovely Ruth Negga got a best Actress nod, but isn't a bit ridiculous now that the nominations are obviously heavily influenced by the #OscarsSoWhite controversy last year? Not that these shows matter a f*ck to anyone really, but any credibility for me is gone out the window now. Forrest Gump won all the awards the year of the Shawshank Redemption for example. Black women are the majority in the best supporting actress category for the first time ever. Good for them I guess, I could see this coming, but surely even the nominated actors must know it's all a bit silly?

So who should have been nominated ahead of them? Who do you think missed out on a nomination?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

He wasn't even the best actor in Bad Boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

You don't rate it? Thought it was a good watch with an exceptional last 20 mins

• Advertisement
Advertisement