Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#OscarsSoBlack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Just nominate the best actors, actresses and movies in their categories regardless of race, political views or whatever.

Otherwise what's the point of holding the award ceremony? It's not a virtue signalling exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

gramar wrote: »
    He wasn't even the best actor in Bad Boys.

Or Fresh Prince.

Carlton!
    Carlton!
    Carlton!
    Just nominate the best actors, actresses and movies in their categories regardless of race, political views or whatever.

They did tat last year and got accused of racism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

how Nominations Batman V Superman get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

I've always felt that the Oscars should be presented 5 years after the year they are honouring.
    So in this scenario, the films of 2012 would be honored next month . Just the major categories and perhaps some special awards for particularly industry changing achievements. There is a ceremony for everything these days, Golden Globes, SAG awards, DGA awards, BAFTA etc etc. The Oscars are just more of the same.
    That way you would be able to truly award achievements which have the longevity and not just the popularity contest that it is currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Any academy that overlooks Al Pacino for The Godfather Part II but gives him an award for Scent of a Woman should be completely disregarded by society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I just can't bring myself to watch a musical. I do like Southpark the movie though.

Not of fan of musicals either but went to see this and enjoyed it.

It's not a typical musical as they don't constantly burst into song.

I didn't find there were that many songs in it really.

It was a good drama that was just enhanced a little by some song and dance. All done in a non annoying way.

I would really recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Any academy that overlooks Al Pacino for The Godfather Part II but gives him an award for Scent of a Woman should be completely disregarded by society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I have never watched the Oscars. The films I tend to watch are never in the running anyway and I've no interest in who some pampered preaching peacock is wearing this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

murpho999 wrote: »
    The only thing that annoys me about the Oscars is that Meryl Streep gets nominated for every film she makes.
    She is overrated. Not one stand out movie which I can remember seeing her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Fox Hound wrote: »

Got 8 Golden Raspberry Award nominations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I have never watched the Oscars. The films I tend to watch are never in the running anyway and I've no interest in who some pampered preaching peacock is wearing this season.

I've always heard the actors hate sitting through it also. Biggest borefest of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

More interested in the Razzies.

This year will be more nauseating than ever. LALA Land is the ultimate luvvy film and will sweep up. Mahershala Ali will win his category because of the race-baiting over the last 2 years. And we'll get loads and loads and loads of political speeches.

I reckon the tv ratings will bomb further into oblivion and The President will be acknowledging those every declining ratings in his daily twitter address :pac:

GavRedKing wrote: »
    La La Land some how got 14 nominations, that tells you all you need to know about the Oscars and what they're worth..

The Lobster got a nomination for a category other than "worst movie ever".
    THAT tells me all I need to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Actually the Hollywood heads seem to use it as a political soap box more and more now. He's got a point, I'm willing to bet we're gonna here a lot of 'Trump is bad' speeches. I for one am looking forward to that part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

I haven't watched the Oscars in years.

Back when Jack Nicholson was front row with his trademark shades and grin and winning everything.

Now there's a real movie star, him and Brando and Eastwood.

Not these ****wits today like Shia LaBeauf and Andrew Garfield

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Are Mexicans under represented ? #Nothispanicenough What about Native Americans ? Eskimos ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Exeggcute wrote: »
    Not these ****wits today like Shia LaBeauf and Andrew Garfield

What's wrong with Andrew Garfield? If you haven't seen Hacksaw Ridge, it'll probably change your mind on him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    You don't rate it? Thought it was a good watch with an exceptional last 20 mins

I dont think it was 14 nominations good.

I didnt really enjoy it anyway, I posted a short response in the Films section about it.

I think it will win some Oscars but it wont win any of the big 5, if it does, its best chance, IMO, is for best director.

Anyway, I don't think the Oscars hold much value anyway to anyone outside of the academy, if you do enough press and back rubbing you can nearly schmooze your way to an Oscar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Fox Hound wrote: »

BvS got none. Other CBMs got nominated though.

Doctor Strange is nominated for Best Visual Effects.

Suicide Squad is nominated for Best Make Up & Hairstyling.

Star Wars got 2 nominations for Rouge One which are Best Sound Mixing & Best Visual Effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Rouge One really should have got nominated for best makeup. They were robbed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

maudgonner wrote: »
    Rouge One really should have got nominated for best makeup. They were robbed!
    Best Blusher in a Movie?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

#OscarsSoRed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭recyclops

All this musical talk and no mention of little shop of horrors, outrageous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Robineen

Who gives a toss about the Oscars? Or awards ceremonies in general?

I was watching the ad for some returning comedy on Channel 4 the other day and it was described as "award-winning". It occurred to me that I find it off-putting when that is highlighted. It immediately makes me suspicious. Why does it need to be highlighted? If it's good, that should not have to be mentioned. I based my viewing choices on reviews by publications and websites I trust, and also just taking a chance myself without knowing what the show is about. The "award-winning" tag sends me running for the hills.
    Zaph wrote: »
    Just corrected that there for you. :pac:

Yup, as crappy as Forrest Gump is, Shanshank is massively, hugely overrated. Pulp Fiction all the way at Oscars 1995. Was it even nominated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

The academy awards are a celebration of most of what's wrong with the film industry and a complete circlejerk to mediocrity for the most part.
    Like a lot of big money American productions it's mostly show and lacking in substance.
    A look at pretty much any international film festival gives you a much wider view of what the film world has to offer.

ADIFF will be on in Dublin in the days leading up to it for anybody who's more into film than celebrity goings-on. ;)

I've always heard the actors hate sitting through it also. Biggest borefest of the year.

Yeah, the Golden Globes are more fun apparently, you can sit there getting sh1tfaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Don't see why people criticize the Oscars for not including more foreign films,being edgier etc they are simply the awards for Mainstream American Cinema which is perfectly fine.

I hope that the nominations go overboard for the laugh and not one white person is nominated for the next few years just simply to take the piss out of Will Smith and his wife's pathetic stance and self absorption.Smith is so in love with himself that he stated last year he was surprised his film Concussion hadn't helped reduce the interest in American football. Will apparently being blissfully unaware that people have know about the concussion problem for a long while and his film didn't really reveal anything new and so why in the name of god did he actually think it would make any difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Ruth negga doesn't identify as Irish she identifies as Ethiopian-Irish. Born in Ethiopia and raised there same goes for fassbender (German) and Ronan (American) . If you are Irish you are Irish, no prefixes or "ethnicities" and no dual citizenship/passports (I'm looking at you Neeson).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Ruth negga doesn't identify as Irish she identifies as Ethiopian-Irish. Born in Ethiopia and raised there same goes for fassbender (German) and Ronan (American) . If you are Irish you are Irish, no prefixes or "ethnicities" and no dual citizenship/passports (I'm looking at you Neeson).

I'm pretty sure Saoirse Ronan identifies as being Irish.Saoirse Ronan's parents are Irish and she moved back here when she was 3.If she isn't irish then Ronan O'Gara, Phil Lynott,Paul Mcgrath aren't irish either.

i love the way it's now become fashionable for some to claim people who are Irish aren't Irish.Things have really turned full circle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In your opinion.

All three were born outside of Ireland and lived their earliest years in those countries.

So I see no issue with them claiming dual nationality. It's not some dubious claim through their great-great grandpappies, they legitimately hold dual citizenship.

Ronan's is about the most tenuous seeing as both her parents are Irish, but she doesn't identify as Irish-American. She's Irish and American. Which I'm sure is very useful when travelling for work.

seamus wrote: »
    In your opinion.

All three were born outside of Ireland and lived their earliest years in those countries.

So I see no issue with them claiming dual nationality. It's not some dubious claim through their great-great grandpappies, they legitimately hold dual citizenship.

Ronan's is about the most tenuous seeing as both her parents are Irish, but she doesn't identify as Irish-American. She's Irish and American. Which I'm sure is very useful when travelling for work.

Ronan claims US citizenship

Ronan claims US citizenship
    Yes, she is an American citizen. She doesn't call herself Irish-American though.

Irish law permits multiple nationalities.

Saoirse Ronan is fully Irish. She happened to be born in the US because her parents were there at the time but it's just a technicality. Her parents are Irish and so is she. It's just useful for her to hold an American passport.

seamus wrote: »
    Yes, she is an American citizen. She doesn't call herself Irish-American though.

Irish law permits multiple nationalities.

Irish laws allow a lot of things, doesn't mean you should avail of them . She's a mercenary. I have more respect for the likes of irons or day lewis, at least they don't pretend to be "Irish".

Robineen wrote: »
    Saoirse Ronan is fully Irish. She happened to be born in the US because her parents were there at the time but it's just a technicality. Her parents are Irish and so is she. It's just useful for her to hold an American passport.

So Obama being born in Hawaii is just a technicality? Lol

Ah, you're one of those people so. Grand, good luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Television and film are going to the dogs because of the need to 'represent' everyone. If a film or television program doesn't have enough black people African Americans people of color, Muslims or transsexuals someone start whining on Twitter about how they're oppressed. Everything is a civil rights issue with some people. They can't just view something as entertainment.

One example of this is the travesty that is the new Supergirl. After almost eight decades of Jimmy Olsen having red hair and freckles they've decided to turn him into an African American. And they spent about three episodes on Supergirls sister coming out of the closet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Maybe because her mother is Irish and her father is Ethiopian, she was raised in Limerick since she was 4, went to college in Trinity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, they picked a relatively unknown Irish actress for her skin colour over all other performances by well known coloured actors last year.

FYI "coloured" is offensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

valoren wrote: »
    I've always felt that the Oscars should be presented 5 years after the year they are honouring.
    So in this scenario, the films of 2012 would be honored next month . Just the major categories and perhaps some special awards for particularly industry changing achievements. There is a ceremony for everything these days, Golden Globes, SAG awards, DGA awards, BAFTA etc etc. The Oscars are just more of the same.
    That way you would be able to truly award achievements which have the longevity and not just the popularity contest that it is currently.

That's a cool idea
    I nominate end of watch

Irish laws allow a lot of things, doesn't mean you should avail of them . She's a mercenary. I have more respect for the likes of irons or day lewis, at least they don't pretend to be "Irish".
    So Obama being born in Hawaii is just a technicality? Lol

Ah OK, I see what I'm dealing with her. Glad you showed your hand early. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

This is just pandering to whoever shouts loudest,next year will we see the likes of #oscarssostraight ? Not enough lgbt actors nominated, the year after it'll be something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

In the past i decided that any movie winning an Oscar would not feature on my "to watch" list but be very high on the **** list.

It is usually a sign the movie is absolutely unbearable (yes, there are exemptions).

So the "protesters" can win them all for all i care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

zerks wrote: »
    This is just pandering to whoever shouts loudest,next year will we see the likes of #oscarssostraight ? Not enough lgbt actors nominated, the year after it'll be something else.

#oscarstohuman

Bambi, Lassie and Jaws finally getting what they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

the best in each category should be nominated, simple as....whether they be all white or all black so be it

the academy shouldn't be cherry picking to have a few token black nominees that would make it all wrong imo

the argument that people of colour are overlooked is ungrounded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

philstar wrote: »

the argument that people of colour are overlooked is ungrounded

I agree, they are just poor actors.

I also can't understand the snubbing of comedies by the Oscars. It's like if a film isn't overtly worthy, it doesn't get a look in. Not only is it very skillful to write or act in a way that will make people laugh, but comedies often make salient points about society, albeit in a much more subtle way. Why isn't this rewarded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Robineen wrote: »
    I also can't understand the snubbing of comedies by the Oscars. It's like if a film isn't overtly worthy, it doesn't get a look in. Not only is it very skillful to write or act in a way that will make people laugh, but comedies often make salient points about society, albeit in a much more subtle way. Why isn't this rewarded?

Really a musical comedy has been rewarded with 14 nominations!!

Over the last few years ya had Up, Juno, Grand Budapest Hotel, Midnight in Paris, Silver Linings Playbook, The Artist and Little Miss Sunshine etc and that's just some of the films which won without mentioning nominations.

If by comedies though you are referring to the type to star the likes of Ben Stiller or Jack Black it's likely because they largely divide opinion or are simply complete and utter garbage :)

Really a musical comedy has been rewarded with 14 nominations!!

Over the last few years ya had Up, Juno, Grand Budapest Hotel, Midnight in Paris, Silver Linings Playbook, The Artist and Little Miss Sunshine etc and that's just some of the films which won without mentioning nominations.

If by comedies though you are referring to the type to star the likes of Ben Stiller or Jack Black it's likely because they largely divide opinion or are simply complete and utter garbage :)

Some of those are comedy-dramas. The rest I don't know about.

I mean overtly PURE comic films. But you've highlighted the snobbery towards them. There are many, many excellent pure comedy films, many of them are excellent satires. Check out the AV Clubs "Best of" comedies lists. Four Lions, In The Loop, Sean of the Dead, Superbad etc. etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement