Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Politics cafe for one month

Options
  • 24-01-2017 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all I have been banned by a mod for one month which I think is overkill, I have tried to reason with the mod and apologised for what I thought was pertinent to the thread they do not see it that way, I can pm the conversation i have had with the mod if someone would kindly look into it when they get a chance

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hi, thanks for confirming that you have attempted to discuss with the mod. I'll request a CMod to review now.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hi Snake Plisken, I will look into this for you. Would you please either forward or post here any PMs you sent/received in relation to this.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Toots wrote: »
    Hi Snake Plisken, I will look into this for you. Would you please either forward or post here any PMs you sent/received in relation to this.

Thanks!

Hi Toots

I will forward them onto you later on not sure it works ok on mobile probably easier on desktop

Thanks

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

No worries, take your time

Got the PMs, thank you. Please give me a bit of time to investigate and I'll post back here when I've reached a decision.

• Advertisement

Got the PMs, thank you. Please give me a bit of time to investigate and I'll post back here when I've reached a decision.

Thanks Toots, take your time, apologies again for my idiotic mistake by accidentally deleting the Mods messages to me as I know you have to retrieve them from the Mod to match my replies.

Hi Snake Plisken,

First of all, apologies that it has taken me a few days to get back to this, had some offline stuff come up, and also this DRP has taken me a while to come to a decision on.

So I'm going to give the sequence of events here as I understand it. Before I start it's worth bearing in mind that there is a very clear warning at the start of the Immigration thread which states
    1. No posts which incite hatred/violence.
    2. No newsdumping
    3. No sweeping generalisations
    4. No making claims without a reputable source to back up what you are referencing

[...] So - Please use this thread to discuss the issue freely , but anyone stepping out of line as per the above can expect an immediate ban , there won't be in thread warnings or suggestions from here on out.

So to start with you posted this on the Immigration thread:
    More cultural enrichment for the Swedish, the poor girl
    https://twitter.com/b_borgen/status/823523919659339780

My issue with this is that it is basically a link dump - and I wouldn't consider someone's twitter to be a reputable source. Also in the article he referenced, it didn't make any mention of immigrants being involved in the incident.

Quin_Dub edited your post, deleting the link and posting this in its' place:
    ##MOD NOTE##

Don't Link Dump

Given that there was a clear warning at the beginning of the thread that bans would be given out for breaking the rules, I think you got away lightly there.

Then you edited the post again so that it looked like this:
    ##MOD NOTE##

Don't Link Dump

Just in case anyone is interested in what I linked a number of scumbags live streamed on face book the rape of a poor girl this took place over 3 hours before the police came in and arrested these scumbags. Some are saying they are migrants let's just say they are of middle eastern appearance!

So there are numerous issues here; firstly the claims you are making here are not backed up in the articles you linked (3 hours before police came in, they are migrants or of middle eastern appearance) so that breaches point 4 of the thread rules, and also point 3 about making generalisations.

Secondly, a moderator edited your post to remove the link in question, it was in no way appropriate to re-edit your post and basically summarise what was deleted. To me, that's basically you giving two fingers to the mod and doing exactly what you were just told not to do. You may as well have just stuck the link you originally posted back in there TBH.

When I originally started looking at the DRP I thought the ban might have been harsh, but then I actually read through everything and saw the sequence of how your post was edited. I probably would have given the same ban length myself if I'd been the one to see it. You've been on the site a long time, and you've had mod sanctions in the Cafe before. If you were a brand new user, I may have been able to give the benefit of the doubt about editing a moderated post, but you've been around long enough to know that's not acceptable.

Ban upheld.

Hi Snake Plisken,

First of all, apologies that it has taken me a few days to get back to this, had some offline stuff come up, and also this DRP has taken me a while to come to a decision on.

So I'm going to give the sequence of events here as I understand it. Before I start it's worth bearing in mind that there is a very clear warning at the start of the Immigration thread which states
    1. No posts which incite hatred/violence.
    2. No newsdumping
    3. No sweeping generalisations
    4. No making claims without a reputable source to back up what you are referencing

[...] So - Please use this thread to discuss the issue freely , but anyone stepping out of line as per the above can expect an immediate ban , there won't be in thread warnings or suggestions from here on out.

So to start with you posted this on the Immigration thread:

My issue with this is that it is basically a link dump - and I wouldn't consider someone's twitter to be a reputable source. Also in the article he referenced, it didn't make any mention of immigrants being involved in the incident.

Quin_Dub edited your post, deleting the link and posting this in its' place:

Given that there was a clear warning at the beginning of the thread that bans would be given out for breaking the rules, I think you got away lightly there.

Then you edited the post again so that it looked like this:

So there are numerous issues here; firstly the claims you are making here are not backed up in the articles you linked (3 hours before police came in, they are migrants or of middle eastern appearance) so that breaches point 4 of the thread rules, and also point 3 about making generalisations.

Secondly, a moderator edited your post to remove the link in question, it was in no way appropriate to re-edit your post and basically summarise what was deleted. To me, that's basically you giving two fingers to the mod and doing exactly what you were just told not to do. You may as well have just stuck the link you originally posted back in there TBH.

When I originally started looking at the DRP I thought the ban might have been harsh, but then I actually read through everything and saw the sequence of how your post was edited. I probably would have given the same ban length myself if I'd been the one to see it. You've been on the site a long time, and you've had mod sanctions in the Cafe before. If you were a brand new user, I may have been able to give the benefit of the doubt about editing a moderated post, but you've been around long enough to know that's not acceptable.

Ban upheld.

Still harsh as it turns out that 2 of them were Afghan citizens who carried out the attack as they were up in court on Friday! Also btw I didn't know that editing my own post to put in a description of the link was a ban inducing offence show me where I did something similar before. Just because a poster has been on a site for so many years doesn't mean he knows all the rules.
    as I see from the thread about the cafe in the feedback forum I'm not the only one getting hit with bans and infractions.

Still harsh as it turns out that 2 of them were Afghan citizens who carried out the attack as they were up in court on Friday!
    Yes, but the links you provided didn't reference nationality at all - there was no mention of where the rapists were from. Also just because 2 of them were Afghan citizen doesn't mean every Afghani refugee is a rapist.
    Also btw I didn't know that editing my own post to put in a description of the link was a ban inducing offence show me where I did something similar before. Just because a poster has been on a site for so many years doesn't mean he knows all the rules.
    I never said you'd done something similar before. I said you'd had previous mod sanctions in the Cafe - you've had 1 warning and 3 infractions there.

Are you honestly telling me that you didn't think there was anything wrong with re-editing a post where a mod had removed the link you posted and replacing it with a description of what was in the link? Come on.
    as I see from the thread about the cafe in the feedback forum I'm not the only one getting hit with bans and infractions.
    This thread is about you, not everybody else. If you wish, I can have an Admin review my decision and see if they agree with it.

As I said I really didn't think I was doing anything wrong with editing my post. Would I got in the same trouble if I posted a reply on the thread with the details of the story rather then editing the post?
    I doubt very much that running it by one of your colleagues will overturn the decision.
    I'm a week and a half into my ban which I still feel is harsh, but not much I can do except ride out the rest of my sentance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement