Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Cert

Options
  • 24-01-2017 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I know this has been brought up a few times now, but I'm finding it hard to get any recent information about it. I know it qualifies you as a trained young farmer, but what does that actually mean for you?

I saw something about a distance learning course, but is that the only Green Cert or is there more than one kind? Anyone know anything about course structure or cost? I'm a son of a farmer in Louth and was advised that its best to do it sooner rather than later

Cheers for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

skankrandy wrote: »
    I know this has been brought up a few times now, but I'm finding it hard to get any recent information about it. I know it qualifies you as a trained young farmer, but what does that actually mean for you?

I saw something about a distance learning course, but is that the only Green Cert or is there more than one kind? Anyone know anything about course structure or cost? I'm a son of a farmer in Louth and was advised that its best to do it sooner rather than later

Cheers for any help!

It means your classed as a young qualified farmer and can get 60% grants on new equipment. Inheriting incentive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Cheers for any help!

I started the distance education green cert last summer. The way its works out for me I have to do a total of 28 days in class over the course of about 18 months. I qualified to do this version of the green cert as i have a 3rd level degree. Usually 1-2 days per month either a Monday or a Friday. Cost is 2500 euros. If you have even a basis understanding / interest in farming you will be fine. Its a mixture of class work with written exams and also there are a lot of practicals for example erect electric fence, dose a cow, measure grass. Have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying it, its nice to meet young people with the same interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

RedPeppers wrote: »
    its nice to meet young people with the same interests.

This is one plus about doing the course that isn't often mentioned but shouldn't be underrated. Nobody I work with in the day job has a direct link to farming, so I can't shoot the breeze about farming things at the tea break! Talking to people with similar interests is a great morale booster and keeps interest going when things are a bit lack lustre or the sh1t is hitting the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 skankrandy

I started the distance education green cert last summer. The way its works out for me I have to do a total of 28 days in class over the course of about 18 months. I qualified to do this version of the green cert as i have a 3rd level degree. Usually 1-2 days per month either a Monday or a Friday. Cost is 2500 euros. If you have even a basis understanding / interest in farming you will be fine. Its a mixture of class work with written exams and also there are a lot of practicals for example erect electric fence, dose a cow, measure grass. Have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying it, its nice to meet young people with the same interests.

Does the 3rd level degree have to be agriculture related or anything like that? If not, sounds like it might suit me down to the ground so!

Does the 3rd level degree have to be agriculture related or anything like that? If not, sounds like it might suit me down to the ground so!

It doesn't need to Ag related got mine in computer programming couldn't be further from farming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 skankrandy

It doesn't need to Ag related got mine in computer programming couldn't be further from farming!

Mine is Computer Game Design, so I'm in the same boat! That's perfect, thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

RedPeppers wrote:

RedPeppers wrote:

Did ye get tax back on the cost of the course? Applied for mine today and was told it wasn't eligible . Thought u got 20% back

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Did ye get tax back on the cost of the course? Applied for mine today and was told it wasn't eligible . Thought u got 20% back

www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

You'd want a degree to figure it out! I think ringing your local tax office or better still making an appointment and going in to talk to someone is best option. Something tells me that there's a lower threshold and relief only given over that amount and at €2,500 there is no relief to be got.

But I could be way off. Best do as l said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Wat way does green cert work can you work it around yourself till get it done... I work away a lot from home but do be home for weeks at a time also just depends on work so I couldn't sign up for evening classes or that but the 1-2 days a month sound the business if I could manage till get them off work any help much appreciated.

So my course is like 1 day a month and some months 2 days. They have given a timetable on day 1 so able to plan days off around it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

So my course is like 1 day a month and some months 2 days. They have given a timetable on day 1 so able to plan days off around it now.
    Were do I find the information on how till sign up?

Where u located? They seem to come up now and then. Been looking in munster and to be fair 2 yes ago I was offered but work change ment I couldn't accept but got it later 2016.they advertise it on teagasc website for a small bit before hand. But u can register interest in doin it with the education officer and the colleges and they should let u know when applications are being taken

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭johnnyw20

Is there any way at all of doing the distant learning without already having a level 6 qualification?

Didn't know you could claim tax back, where did you see this? Had a look on revenue website there but couldn't see course listed for tax back?

It's not listed on website but saw it when reading up about the course nit sure where. But revenue have asked me to get the college to send email to day whether I'm or not its eligible for relief

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Densey12

It's not listed on website but saw it when reading up about the course nit sure where. But revenue have asked me to get the college to send email to day whether I'm or not its eligible for relief

Just wondering if there any update on this? Were you able to claim some relief?:)

Afraid not. College haven't gotten back to me. Will wait until I'm in with accountant to get his view

Afraid not. College haven't gotten back to me. Will wait until I'm in with accountant to get his view

I don't think there is to be honest but keep us posted if you find a way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Hi there,

I'm just wondering what kind of practicals does the course involve? I am signed up to do this course and basically it's just the fear of the unknown for me. I am inheriting the farm off my father but I work full time but require green cert to do this. I work on the farm in my spare time but not full time.

Will I be ok on this course?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ding82

I'm down to start this course soon as well, I work as a full time Nurse so interested in what practicals there will be. My sister got through it a few years ago. I'm sure we will get through it

• Advertisement

Amprodude wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm just wondering what kind of practicals does the course involve? I am signed up to do this course and basically it's just the fear of the unknown for me. I am inheriting the farm off my father but I work full time but require green cert to do this. I work on the farm in my spare time but not full time.

Thanks.

You will be fine I am nearly a year into it , doing it in Mountbellew. The practicals are quite basic in most cases. You will be in groups with others for many of them so there will always be a few that are up to speed with the practical and they will help the others on group. In my case our class is so large that for some of the practicals they just skim through them and you barely have to do anything. There's a huge variety of people in my course and everyone getting by fine so don't worry!

Hi there,

Thanks.

You will be fine, I have just started it and its years since I had a pair of wellies on! :) I'm not farming at all at the moment! There are multiple choice questions to complete but the lectures themselves said they are absolutely nothing to worry about! Then there are assignments and an a work experience diary which is 12 months in total! Its the distance learning one I'm completing which has 28 contact days! But its nothing to fear from what I can see! The main issue with it appears to be attendance, you cannot miss days or practicals or you will not have enough credits to pass the course! We had to choose between Dairy or Sheep production. As we do not have a parlour at home and do not ever intend to, I choose sheep! I would think the sheep production would be easier too rather than the dairy if you have no experience at all. How ever if you intend to go farming Dairy it would probably be best you choose this elective. You will be assessed on 20 skills either on sheep or dairy, if you have the choice of an elective! Practicals include handling sheep, separating sheep, dosing sheep etc. As I say I have only started but its enjoyable! Nothing to fear you will be fine! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭johnnyw20

Would this course be enough of a qualification for me to do the green cert part time?

I've never gone to college but I want to get the green cert. I'm 26 and working full time so 2 years in college is not an option

http://www.theopencollege.com/courses/qqi-business-and-finance-courses/business-management-6n4310-fetac-level-6/

johnnyw20 wrote: »
    Would this course be enough of a qualification for me to do the green cert part time?

I've never gone to college but I want to get the green cert. I'm 26 and working full time so 2 years in college is not an option

http://www.theopencollege.com/courses/qqi-business-and-finance-courses/business-management-6n4310-fetac-level-6/

Couldn't be 100% sure!

This is what is required:
    Applicant Information

To be eligible for the course, an applicant must:
    • Be a holder of a Level 6 or Higher Major Award in a non-agricultural discipline. A Teagasc certified copy of the qualification held will be required and can be obtained by bringing the original parchment for certification to any Teagasc office. If the award is not on the National Framework of Qualifications, or if there can be any doubt as to the equivalence of the award on the National Framework of Qualifications, the onus is on the applicant to provide proof that the award meets this entry requirement. Information on the National Framework of Qualifications is available from Quality and Qualifications Ireland’s (QQI), Qualification Recognition Service.

This is what you would need to clarify is the course in the National Framework of Qualifications! If you contact QQI I'm sure they could tell you! Its QQI awards the green cert now not teagasc anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sparkles2012

johnnyw20 wrote: »

I am doing the Green Cert Part Time they didn't require you to have a course done as you do Level 5 and then the Level 6. This was through a Teagasc Office. Maybe the requirements vary for Private Colleges. Maybe you should check with whatever College/Teagasc Office as the requirements may vary.

https://www.teagasc.ie/education/local-education-centres/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

You will be fine I am nearly a year into it , doing it in Mountbellew. The practicals are quite basic in most cases. You will be in groups with others for many of them so there will always be a few that are up to speed with the practical and they will help the others on group. In my case our class is so large that for some of the practicals they just skim through them and you barely have to do anything. There's a huge variety of people in my course and everyone getting by fine so don't worry!

Yeah it's just the fear of the unknown and starting something new. I don't know what to expect so hence why I'm a bit nervous.

What should one bring on attending the first day ?

Yeah it's just the fear of the unknown and starting something new. I don't know what to expect so hence why I'm a bit nervous.

What should one bring on attending the first day ?

The first day is usually an induction ! After that then steel toe cap boots and a high vis jacket! There was steel toe cap boots in aldi last week for €19.99

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭WestportCFE

Westport College of Further Education in Co Mayo has introduced a method of delivering the Green Cert course in Agriculture that will revolutionise the way young farmers across Ireland can complete their Agricultural Education.
    The Green Cert commonly refers to a published list of land based courses which qualifies a person as a ‘trained farmer’. Holding a ‘Green Cert’ is one of the conditions of stamp duty exemption on the transfer of a farm to a son or daughter. It also is one of the criteria for recent schemes and grants that may become available for example Young Farm Scheme and the National Reserve.
    Traditionally the Green Cert was completed by attending the college on a full time or part time basis over a period of at least 2 years. This was very difficult for farmers who held fulltime jobs either on or off farm.

Westport College of Further Education will now deliver this course via an app on a smartphone, tablet, laptop or PC. It will allow students to fully participate in live classes from the comfort of their own homes. This course was piloted in the academic year 2016-17 with a group of 8 students from Clare Island and 12 students from a range of locations around Ireland. Based on our participants in 2016 there was a saving of 4500km student travel each night the course ran and 252,000km total travel saved over the duration of the course. As part of the pilot one student was required to travel for his job and he watched a number of classes in India. Due to success of this pilot and demand from expats as far away as Saudi Arabia and the United Stated this course is now open for enrolments in September 2017.

Classes run for three hours and are held on Monday and Tuesday evenings from 6-30pm 9.30pm. Classes are fully interactive with students able to ask live questions from their lecturers and also speak to other students in the classroom. Examinations and practical assessments are held over four Saturdays throughout the academic year.

The course is ideally suited to people who wish to get the Green Certificate in Agriculture while still working. On our pilot scheme there were a number of participants from variety of occupations including teachers and electricians. This modern method of delivery facilitated their busy work scheduled thus allowing them to complete and gain the qualification in Agriculture.

The college is currently enrolling and places are filling fast. There is more information available on www.westportcfe.ie under the Night Classes link.
    --
    Michael Murphy
    Principal
    Westport College of Further Education
    Westport
    Co Mayo

Am..... how do prospective students manage to do the manatory practicals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭WestportCFE

Muckit wrote: »
    Am..... how do perspective students manage to do the manatory practicals?

Saturdays for practicals

Advertisement