Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Cert

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Fair play to ye. Teagasc seem to be overwhelmed with the demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭WestportCFE

Muckit wrote: »
    Fair play to ye. Teagasc seem to be overwhelmed with the demand.

We ran it as a pilot this year with 20 students. We think it will allow more young farmers with off farm jobs the chance to gain the green cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GalwayAg

Great idea for classes. I could go back to school or college if this was available else where.

One of the posts above says that you must have the following to do the course.

Be a holder of a Level 6 or Higher Major Award in a non-agricultural discipline

If someone is left school and doesn't even have a leaving, can they do this course as u mention that it is teachers and electricians doing the course.

GalwayAg wrote: »
    Great idea for classes. I could go back to school or college if this was available else where.

One of the posts above says that you must have the following to do the course.

Be a holder of a Level 6 or Higher Major Award in a non-agricultural discipline

If someone is left school and doesn't even have a leaving, can they do this course as u mention that it is teachers and electricians doing the course.

Course is open to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

What is cost of course? Sound excellent

• Advertisement

tellmeabit wrote: »
    What is cost of course? Sound excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Grueller

Is this the same course that Colaiste an Atha in Kilmuckridge are offering? They don't do online modules but two nights a week 6:30 to 9:30. The first cousins did it there when teagasc offerings wouldn't fit his schedule.

Grueller wrote: »
    Is this the same course that Colaiste an Atha in Kilmuckridge are offering? They don't do online modules but two nights a week 6:30 to 9:30. The first cousins did it there when teagasc offerings wouldn't fit his schedule.

It is the same course that the college in Wexford do and teagasc do.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭johnnyw20

What is involved on the 4 Saturdays? And what hours are involved?

johnnyw20 wrote: »
    What is involved on the 4 Saturdays? And what hours are involved?

Practicals and exams. 9-6 on the Saturdays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Hobo85

Hi All,
    Only lately it dawned on me that i might need to do this course. It was actually mentioned in passing!
    Anyway, im in London working so any advice is greatly appreciated. How do i sign up? Can it be done over the internet? Or do i need to sit in class? Is there an age limit on this thing too, as i'm in my early 30s!!
    Thanks for any comments in advance.

Regards,
    Confused and Concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Farm365

It is the same course that the college in Wexford do and teagasc do.

What's the name of the college in Wexford?

Hobo85 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Only lately it dawned on me that i might need to do this course. It was actually mentioned in passing!
    Anyway, im in London working so any advice is greatly appreciated. How do i sign up? Can it be done over the internet? Or do i need to sit in class? Is there an age limit on this thing too, as i'm in my early 30s!!
    Thanks for any comments in advance.

Regards,
    Confused and Concerned!

Hi you watch the classes online and attend 4 Saturdays. All information on http://www.westportcfe.ie under Night Classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭franglan

Hi All, has anyone done the course in Westport. Thinking of doing it but may have issues attending on Tuesday occasionally. Is 100% attendance mandiatory?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

franglan wrote: »
    Hi All, has anyone done the course in Westport. Thinking of doing it but may have issues attending on Tuesday occasionally. Is 100% attendance mandiatory?

Ring them and they will tell you about the online course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Westport College of Further Education in Co Mayo has introduced a method of delivering the Green Cert course in Agriculture that will revolutionise the way young farmers across Ireland can complete their Agricultural Education. The Green Cert commonly refers to a published list of land based courses which qualifies a person as a ‘trained farmer’. Holding a ‘Green Cert’ is one of the conditions of stamp duty exemption on the transfer of a farm to a son or daughter. It also is one of the criteria for recent schemes and grants that may become available for example Young Farm Scheme and the National Reserve. Traditionally the Green Cert was completed by attending the college on a full time or part time basis over a period of at least 2 years. This was very difficult for farmers who held fulltime jobs either on or off farm.

This is fantastic news and Westport are to be congratulated for it.

The technology to do it has been around for a good while.. What it needed was an institution to step up to the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Grueller

Farm365 wrote: »
    What's the name of the college in Wexford?

Colaiste an Atha, Kilmuckridge

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Hi all,
    looking for a bit of advice - I ve just found out I am in the future to inherit a farm. I'm not from a farming background so its all a bit of a shock to be honest, but also very exciting.
    Anyway I m too old to qualify for any young farmer relief but interested in maybe doing green cert - I have a few friends who did the ag college thing back in the day and said it was grand and handy but they grew up on farms and took for granted years of education through their families.
    The online course would be ideal as I'm working full time but if people have done any smaller courses to help prepare them or they'd recommend it. I understand if farm land is leased to farmer I'd qualify for ag relief once I meet the asset test and may well do that but would love to learn as much about various aspects of farming as I can and maybe try a few different things with it.
    Any recommendations very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭The part time boy

Hi all,
    looking for a bit of advice - I ve just found out I am in the future to inherit a farm. I'm not from a farming background so its all a bit of a shock to be honest, but also very exciting.
    Anyway I m too old to qualify for any young farmer relief but interested in maybe doing green cert - I have a few friends who did the ag college thing back in the day and said it was grand and handy but they grew up on farms and took for granted years of education through their families.
    The online course would be ideal as I'm working full time but if people have done any smaller courses to help prepare them or they'd recommend it. I understand if farm land is leased to farmer I'd qualify for ag relief once I meet the asset test and may well do that but would love to learn as much about various aspects of farming as I can and maybe try a few different things with it.

I no advise for you only to say well done ! Also fair play trying to find out more about farming.

Anyone else who done courses able to helo him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

One thing that I wish in hindsight was that I'd done the green cert when I had a bit more farming experience behind me as I think j would have got more from it. I grew up on a farm but my dad tended to do everything and didn't want much help or input (how things have changed!). So when I did the green cert I couldn't even drive a tractor although I would have had ok animal husbandry knowledge. I think if I was doing it now I would possibly get more from it. Not sure if that helps you but maybe if you could get some experience on a farm for a bit before doing the green cert that would be helpful. Gives you a base knowledge to work off of. Fair play to you as well at looking to get involved in it :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Hi Everyone,
    just wondering has anyone or is anyone doing the westport course.
    Im working full time and have applied for pallaskenry got info pack and will have travel on fridays and stay over to do the saturdays aswell.
    Im thinking the westport would be a great option from me watching the classes from home I would have no problem travelling an odd saturday to westport and i seen it was only about 4-5 saturdays in the year?
    Need to get back to pallas before Wednesday to see if im taking the course phoned westport and left a message so hoping will get a call back.
    Any advice appreciated,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

revoke12 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    just wondering has anyone or is anyone doing the westport course.
    Im working full time and have applied for pallaskenry got info pack and will have travel on fridays and stay over to do the saturdays aswell.
    Im thinking the westport would be a great option from me watching the classes from home I would have no problem travelling an odd saturday to westport and i seen it was only about 4-5 saturdays in the year?
    Need to get back to pallas before Wednesday to see if im taking the course phoned westport and left a message so hoping will get a call back.
    Any advice appreciated,

I'm doing the Westport one and find it handy enough so far anyhow , its all online and the 4 saturdays were given to us at the beginning of the year so its easy to plan when you need to travel .
    They are hard to get on the phone up there so maybe shoot them an email aswell to get a reply . I dont know if they're taking on for next year or not yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jobseek

Im also on the westport one, keep phoning until you get a reply, poor enough at getting back to emails/ messages.

Online is far handier than attesting teagasc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,319 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I see Clonakilty Ag College advertising online Green Cert, starting next Tuesday.
    For people who hold a Level 6 or Higher Major Award in a non-agricultural discipline.
    02388832500 email clonakilty.college@teagasc.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MinkeyMonkey

Hi all,

Hi Donadea Leo, I have no advice for you either but I'm in almost exactly the same boat as you. I'm 34 now so would have time to do a green cert to qualify for this succession planning tax break before turning 40. Don't know much about it and know nothing about farming (except that it's not as easy life and will never make me into a millionaire!) but I'm willing to give it a go. I'd be interested in any advice you might get here too.

Advertisement