Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hours question

Options
  • 24-01-2017 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i working for the same company for a number of years now and im on a 4 hour min contract and have full time availability but i dont get allocated high hours each week that others who have full availability do. we are all on the same hourly rate, the manger gets a certain amount of hours each week to divide between a team of 18 workers (about 8 full time availability workers and 10 part time availability workers). I think as im there the longest and have full availability i should be given a high amount of hours each week. I have asked many times about the way the hours are divided each week, how come im always been given reduced hours and never get a proper answer. Feels like im being punished for being there so long as a person there a 6 months is getting more hours etc

any advice ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you on a higher rate than the person there 6 months? If so, that's probably the reason.

Failing that, are you any good at the job?

Maybe you should just look for another job?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Are you on a higher rate than the person there 6 months? If so, that's probably the reason.

Failing that, are you any good at the job?

Maybe you should just look for another job?

Yep, easiest way to get the job done cheaper is allocate the hours to the cheaper employees.

Op may think that seniority means something but it doesn't. On this type of contract you can be allocated whatever hours suits the company, it's a crappy situation.

Start looking for a new job. Becoming the squeaky wheel may result in even less hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

everyone general worker on the roster is on the same hourly rate

Its just the way the hours are allocated is the problem, theres people who dont do a tap getting higher hours than those who do loads but theres people who only have part time availability getting more hours than those who have full availability. Its possibly its a automatic roster system but if it is it needs to be altered. As i stated i have spoken up about my hours a load of times and the improve for a week or so and then they fall back into the low category.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

If you've been working for a few years for a company and you're still on the same hourly rate as someone who's there 6 months, and you're getting hardly any hours, you really should be looking for a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Back again

The issue has popped up again and now it's really starting to annoy me

There the longest, have full availability, always take extra shifts so I'm willing to work and I'm always being over looked. I book days off and they allocate me hours for that day thus I have to give up that day and lose even more hours. I have said it loads of time to management but they seem too ignore my request and say its not intended. I love the job and not willing to leave it yet but it's not healthy for me to feel so let down by watching people with similar availability get high hours each and every week. We're all on the same pay rate, I never have issues with anyone there, always co operative

I am a union member but they can't do anything for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I used to compile weekly rotas like this, it's very simple, the hardest working employees get the most hours regardless of how long they are there, the laziest employees get the least. Hate to say it so bluntly, but your work is the issue.

A Manger just wants the work done, he or she does not care who does it, but if putting "A" on the rota means there will be more work done and less issues than putting "B" on the rota, "A" will always get more hours.

Have you discussed your work with your employer, have you asked for feedback, have you actioned any feedback you have got in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The other scenario is you have a 4 hour contract , John and Mary have a 10 hour and 14 hour contract, they have to get their minimum hours as per their contract.

Advertisement