Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating back to Ireland

Options
  • 24-01-2017 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello All

My wife and I (both irish) are planning to relocate to Dublin from London during this coming summer. Both my wife and I will be looking to work in Dublin, my wife part time and myself- full time. We were hoping for some feedback on possible places to live in around the Dublin area to raise 2 young kids. We will bee hoping to purchase a 3 bed house with a budget of circa €450/500k within walking distance of shops, restaurants parks cafes, transportlinks ..not looking for much then I hear you say!!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Regards
    Relocatelondon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

Moved to an area just off the Navan Raod (Dublin 7) a few months ago. Loving it! 10 minute bus ride to town (or a nice walk), 20 minutes walk to the Phoenix Park, on the edge of hipsterville (Stoneybatter) with cafes and restaurants. Good access to the M50 for going further afield.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭maverick_21

My wife and I did the same 3 years ago. Settled in Lucan which we absolutely love. You would get a great house there for much less.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My wife and I did the same 3 years ago. Settled in Lucan which we absolutely love. You would get a great house there for much less.

Dont do lucan, traffic terrible. Sprawling location. Im with the second poster tbh. Something more central. perhaps along the new Luas connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭maverick_21

Ya the traffic is bad if you leave it late in the morning. I was referring more to the Village area as opposed to Adamstown etc.
    Can't justify the house prices in the centre of the city for inferior houses. IMO anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Hate to be "that" poster, constantly recommending my own area but Ashtown/Royal Canal Park.
    15 mins from the new Luas line and the Maynooth train line which will get you anywhere in the city centre in decent time. 10mins drive to the m50.

Spar, centra & super valu, two cafes, 1 pub, 2 takeaways, dentist, chemist, restaurant, hairdresser will be a max 20 min walk. Canal walk is lovely, small parks in the development & tolka park also nearby. Phoenix park a short drive.

Your budget will get you a new build 4 bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Would go for Raheny if possible.

DART, bus, St Anne's Park, Bull Island / Dollymount beach and plenty of schools,bars,cafe's etc either in the village or in neighbouring Clontarf.

Howth and Malahide just a short DART spin away too.

All major sports represented in the local area too, with GAA,Soccer,Rugby,Tennis,Golf,Boxing clubs all in the immediate locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

This thread is likely to just get recommendations from people of their own area. OP really needs to narrow things down.
    Do you have relatives in Dublin that may be likely to assist with child-minding? Or that you want to live near (or far away from)?
    Any friends already living here?
    Does the area you work in seem to locate in specific areas? IFSC? Sandyford?
    Any specific needs for education of children? Gaelscoil? Educate Together? Church of Ireland? Roman Catholic?
    Are you wedded to your car or would public transport or cycling be a major draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 relocatelondon

Moved to an area just off the Navan Raod (Dublin 7) a few months ago. Loving it! 10 minute bus ride to town (or a nice walk), 20 minutes walk to the Phoenix Park, on the edge of hipsterville (Stoneybatter) with cafes and restaurants. Good access to the M50 for going further afield.

Thanks very much CinnamonGirl- this is great feedback.. sound like D7 has a lot going for it!

listermint wrote: »

Dont do lucan, traffic terrible. Sprawling location. Im with the second poster tbh. Something more central. perhaps along the new Luas connection.

Thanks for the feedback Maverick..stay away from Lucan then..

Would go for Raheny if possible.

DART, bus, St Anne's Park, Bull Island / Dollymount beach and plenty of schools,bars,cafe's etc either in the village or in neighbouring Clontarf.

Howth and Malahide just a short DART spin away too.

All major sports represented in the local area too, with GAA,Soccer,Rugby,Tennis,Golf,Boxing clubs all in the immediate locality.

Yes..We were looking at Raheny..looks like a nice area..I work in construction so I'm likely to be working the city..which Raheny seems to have good transport links into the city

• Advertisement

Looks like somewhere like Raheny or close to the Phoenix Park then..possibly even Stoneybatter..any other suggestions would be welcome also..

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Raheny or Killester

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Yes..We were looking at Raheny..looks like a nice area..I work in construction so I'm likely to be working the city..which Raheny seems to have good transport links into the city

Any more info you need or any specifics,feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

subpar wrote: »
    Raheny or Killester

At the moment, you'll just scrape into those areas with your budget.
    Would Marino / Drumcondra be worth a look?

whiskeyman wrote: »
    subpar wrote: »
    Raheny or Killester

At the moment, you'll just scrape into those areas with your budget.
    Would Marino / Drumcondra be worth a look?

Yes open to suggestions..

Any more info you need or any specifics,feel free to ask.

We were thinking about Glasnevin..any thoughts?

listermint wrote: »

Any thoughts on Glasnevin?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Lovely area.
    What part though?
    It stretches a fair distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Actual Glasnevin or "Glasnevin North" (Ballymun) or indeed the stretching of the name in to Cabra, Finglas, Drumcondra and even some of Coolock that has started happening? All are rather different.

whiskeyman wrote: »

Lovely area.
    What part though?
    It stretches a fair distance.
    Dont know just yet..what are the good family parts of Glasnevin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Dont know just yet..what are the good family parts of Glasnevin?

The village (next to the front entrance of the Botanic Gardens). Mobhí Road and Griffith Avenue are lovely (but almost certainly beyond your stated price limit) - all that area around the village and the Tolka river (serious flooding issues a few years ago so check the current situation out).

Actually, if I were looking in Glasnevin, I'd be interested in this house on De Courcey Square (scroll down to the Streetview of the Square)- just around the corner from Dublin's best pub, The Gravediggers, and the old front entrance to Glasnevin Cemetary (which is the one history tour of Dublin you must do). It might be a bit noisy from the Finglas road but Prospect Square right next to it (which is where The Gravediggers is) is not noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

Definitely somewhere that has good public transport links. Navan Road area has good options, including bus and rail.

Advertisement