Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of extension 2017

Options
  • 24-01-2017 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi all

I was hoping you would have some information on average construction / renovation prices in Dublin at the moment.  We are at too early a stage to look for builder quotes and indeed the cost may influence the design.

We own a 58 sqm mid-terrace house and were planning on building a rear extension (with planning permission) of 32-38 sqm (two storey extension of equal size on top and bottom).

The overall project would also involve renovating the existing house which needs modernisation.  This would likely involve some rewiring, replumbing, insulation (wall and ground floor), plaster skimming and similar.  Not quite gutting the existing part but approaching that level...!

In terms of average costs per sqm, these tend to vary widely and I appreciate that they will not be the same for us as for a new build on a greenfield site, nor will they be the same as an extension to a much more modern house and the renovation will likely be maybe 40% of the cost?

Any guidance as to cost would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Beer mat calculation to see where your at :

€1500 per square meter for new works (extension etc) excluding floor finishes and kitchen.

€1000 per square meter for refurb of existing house.

Can go up a lot depending on spec by it won't drop much from those figures in Dublin at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

Hi

Just to give you an idea, we got quote for 2 storey extension to the side of our house 38 sqm =89500??, builders finish, no internal alterations.

I think Probably he didn't wanted to do the job,

My guys just priced a 44Sq. M single storey wrap around extension today. Front, rear and side. Brick finish to front, render to rear and side. 2 large roof lights and rearrangement of downstairs (flipping kitchen from rear to front).

€1886 per Sq. M including VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

kceire wrote: »
    My guys just priced a 44Sq. M single storey wrap around extension today. Front, rear and side. Brick finish to front, render to rear and side. 2 large roof lights and rearrangement of downstairs (flipping kitchen from rear to front).

€1886 per Sq. M including VAT.
    So the total was approx €83k including the internal work to rearrange the kitchen?  Sounds like the extension might be a little more complicated than ours also.

So the total was approx €83k including the internal work to rearrange the kitchen?  Sounds like the extension might be a little more complicated than ours also.

Yes, in fairness, all the services have to be extended by a few meters etc
    Price also includes windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

We're at a similar stage, our architect is saying that plumbing and electricla rate have gone up a lot and is taling about 2K+ for new build and 900 for referb. I'm not sure if I believer them. Any experience?

We're at a similar stage, our architect is saying that plumbing and electricla rate have gone up a lot and is taling about 2K+ for new build and 900 for referb. I'm not sure if I believer them. Any experience?

Depends on the spec. It can be higher or lower.
    Look at the posts in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Moving2017

Hi,

I know this is from February, but did you get any further on quotes? I'm in a similar position, but just starting the process and was hoping to get an idea of budget.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

2k per sq. M sounds bananas to me. Im doing a 70sq m extension at the back of my house in meath and im hoping to get the shell watertight with windows in at a bit over 20k not including rendering n pump walls going direct labour.
    I had space to get big digger down the side and I put topsoil n rubble in corner of the site which saved a good few grand which I appreciate most people cant.
    So far, demolish flat roof extension, dig, steel in and pour founds, stub walls , 100mm insulation, 100mm conc floor powerfloated cost 5k
    Probaby 5k to get walls up to wallplate with joists n steel beam in. Chippy is at roof, slater coming including materials 6k ish. Windows and doors are 5 k only double glazed. Soffit n fascia 1 or 2k I hope!
    Its really not rocket science, imo yer paying a builder 1000 a sq m to make phone calls to organize lads. All I did is get a list off each tradesman of what materials he wanted sitting there for him. Got recommended lads not page 1 Google lads! Will take longer but saves a fair few quid

I am not very good at maths, or general calculations.

So I can't be fully sure of my sq/meter size. My budget and pricing is messy, too. With nothing concrete in place, price wise, and working on a day-rate for labour and paying for other bits and pieces as I go.

However, assuming my ballpark figure is somewhat reliable, I believe I'm getting an approximately 50sq/meter wraparound (L-Shaped, back and side) single storey extension for in and around €35k.

I'm not sure what first and second fix finishes are, exactly, but I anticipate for this budget that I will have my plumbing sorted, and wiring sorted (the kitchen is the room getting extended, and the actual kitchen itself, sink and units, will be moving from one side of the room to the other). But the walls will not be painted (they will be plastered), doors won't be hung, no skirting, architrave, obviously no furniture, etc so the €35k is effectively buying me an L shaped box with a roof and floor, and knocking a wall from the back of the house into it.

I'm in Drogheda, though, not Dublin. However, assuming my pricing is somewhat accurate, I would suggest perhaps getting a Louth, Meath, Cavan, etc. based builder to quote?

(I could well be back here in a couple of weeks claiming that I've been robbed and it cost a lot more, or the house fell apart, etc. but at the moment that's the situation. Work starts on Monday coming).

I can't imagine the price difference between Dublin/Drogheda should be as big as people are making out on here?

I'd almost be interested in making a thread with the general idea of what the extension is gonna be, and let people guess the price of it, and then report back periodically to see how accurate the boards' guess is.

(edit: I think a 50sq/meter extension for €35k means I'm paying €700 per sq/meter?)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

So I can't be fully sure of my sq/meter size. My budget and pricing is messy, too. With nothing concrete in place, price wise, and working on a day-rate for labour and paying for other bits and pieces as I go.

However, assuming my ballpark figure is somewhat reliable, I believe I'm getting an approximately 50sq/meter wraparound (L-Shaped, back and side) single storey extension for in and around €35k.

I'm not sure what first and second fix finishes are, exactly, but I anticipate for this budget that I will have my plumbing sorted, and wiring sorted (the kitchen is the room getting extended, and the actual kitchen itself, sink and units, will be moving from one side of the room to the other). But the walls will not be painted (they will be plastered), doors won't be hung, no skirting, architrave, obviously no furniture, etc so the €35k is effectively buying me an L shaped box with a roof and floor, and knocking a wall from the back of the house into it.

I'm in Drogheda, though, not Dublin. However, assuming my pricing is somewhat accurate, I would suggest perhaps getting a Louth, Meath, Cavan, etc. based builder to quote?

(I could well be back here in a couple of weeks claiming that I've been robbed and it cost a lot more, or the house fell apart, etc. but at the moment that's the situation. Work starts on Monday coming).

I can't imagine the price difference between Dublin/Drogheda should be as big as people are making out on here?

I'd almost be interested in making a thread with the general idea of what the extension is gonna be, and let people guess the price of it, and then report back periodically to see how accurate the boards' guess is.

(edit: I think a 50sq/meter extension for €35k means I'm paying €700 per sq/meter?)
    I think we should wait until your finished, then you can confirm your costs and what savings the time/labour you or family/friends have put in.

BryanF wrote: »
    I think we should wait until your finished, then you can confirm your costs and what savings the time/labour you or family/friends have put in.

Yeah, I will keep a track record of everything. Although I don't really intend to put much effort or work into this myself personally (well, except to ask inane questions and get in the way.. like most customers do :P )

Are you building on a detached/semi detached house? Ease of Access or lack there of might be adding to the cost?

Moving2017 wrote: »
    Are you building on a detached/semi detached house? Ease of Access or lack there of might be adding to the cost?

End terrace house. But have rear access, and friendly neighbour is also allowing us to knock the wall between our gardens for greater access and to place skips, etc nearer to the work zone (in return i threw her a couple of euro and she has use of the skips etc as she sees fit - it was a fair arrangement).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I had a single story extension done late last year in Sth Dub
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057679411
    Cost for builder finish came to €1,865 per sq meter excl VAT. We used a lot of glass however which probably pushed up the costs

Thanks, Really good information on that Thread.. Could you PM me the details of the builder you used? I'm hoping to get quotes from builders who's work I've seen. Thanks!
    jay0109 wrote: »
    I had a single story extension done late last year in Sth Dub

Cost for builder finish came to €1,865 per sq meter excl VAT. We used a lot of glass however which probably pushed up the costs

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Sorry to bring up an old thread but currently in the process of getting quotes off various builders for a rear of house extension.

Would I be right in saying average cost per SQ meter is somewhat compromised if the extension is small (circa 18sqm)? In other words, the price of a 18sqm extension may not be drastically different to a 28sqm extension as the majority of the work needs to be done regardless of size.

I got first estimate last week of 55k for the 18sqm extension. This is builders finish (plumbing etc.) and includes the movement of one load bearing wall and the taking down of another load bearing wall.

To me it seemed a little expensive for the size of it. In fairness I did want the back of the house with a lot of glass the whole way across but even with that it didn't add up to what I've read here and on the internet in relation to cost guides.

Have a number of other builders coming out and hopefully they will be a little better on price!

andymx11 wrote: »
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but currently in the process of getting quotes off various builders for a rear of house extension.

Would I be right in saying average cost per SQ meter is somewhat compromised if the extension is small (circa 18sqm)? In other words, the price of a 18sqm extension may not be drastically different to a 28sqm extension as the majority of the work needs to be done regardless of size.

I got first estimate last week of 55k for the 18sqm extension. This is builders finish (plumbing etc.) and includes the movement of one load bearing wall and the taking down of another load bearing wall.

To me it seemed a little expensive for the size of it. In fairness I did want the back of the house with a lot of glass the whole way across but even with that it didn't add up to what I've read here and on the internet in relation to cost guides.

Have a number of other builders coming out and hopefully they will be a little better on price!

I'm at the same stage as you, will check the various quotes I have for an average price per sqm . are you building in Dublin or outside of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Moving2017 wrote: »
    I'm at the same stage as you, will check the various quotes I have for an average price per sqm . are you building in Dublin or outside of Dublin?

Great thanks for that- I'm in South Dublin

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

andymx11 wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying average cost per SQ meter is somewhat compromised if the extension is small (circa 18sqm)?

Definitely....

To do any extension also bear in mind that (inevitably) there will be some works to the existing house, even if it is simply forming an opening to the rear walls of the existing house, so that's another cost on top of allowing a cost per m.sq. for the new build part.

All you can do is try and get three quotes for comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Thinking of doing a 40m2 single story extension next year too. Will get quotes and post them up. Are you guys going with an architect?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Any updates looking at maybe a 25m2 extension too next year
    Any guide lines for prices in cork

soundsham wrote: »
    Allow 2k per m2 with info provided. You need arch drawings & spec and 3quotes before you you get any idea what the costs are.

Allow 2k per m2 with info provided. You need arch drawings & spec and 3quotes before you you get any idea what the costs are.
    2k includes finishes and includes vat I presume
    Have a few contacts so would need groundwork’s foundation and blockwork slabbed & plastered as well as roof on
    Suppose that’s the price I need really

Elec plumb and chippy paint would be my own
    New year project I’d say

Just have shell finished for similar. I built above minimum regs direct labour, will still be close to 2k p/m2

2k includes finishes and includes vat I presume
    Have a few contacts so would need groundwork’s foundation and blockworkdone as well as roof
    Elec plumb and chippy paint

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭Jim1000

enrich and kkv, how are you getting on? Just starting doing similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

Hi All

Am in the homework phase myself now. Gearing up to hopefully begin by Summer.

I will get the three quotes, have 2 builders i would like to call out - would be interested in any recommendations people have for build in South Dublin. Always nice to be able to see someones work in advance.

Please PM if you have any useful information. Thanks.

Edit:It will be a 40m2 extension in South Dublin with pitched roof. Easy access to back of house

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭FightingIrish

Hi all,

Totally new to this and have read through the thread, thinking of an extension to the back of my semi d in south Dublin, access not an issue, approx. 36sq meters (if my calculation are correct? 18ft x 18ft)

Is it as simple as getting quotes and talking with builders as to what we'd like or do we need to have arch drawing etc. in place before even contacting a builder?

Advice appreciated.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Totally new to this and have read through the thread, thinking of an extension to the back of my semi d in south Dublin, access not an issue, approx. 36sq meters (if my calculation are correct? 18ft x 18ft)

Is it as simple as getting quotes and talking with builders as to what we'd like or do we need to have arch drawing etc. in place before even contacting a builder?

Advice appreciated.

Thanks.
    An arch
    Then go to builder with drawing.

Advertisement