Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of extension 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

Jim1000 wrote: »
    enrich and kkv, how are you getting on? Just starting doing similar.

Hi, painting and starting tiling here at the minute, kitchen coming in 2 weeks. So should get wrapped up by end of January. Should! I'm at it since June so it'll be 8 months. I'm sure a builder would get it done in 5. We got a mobile home and put it out the back, stuck a stove in it so not too cold. Probably saved 10k renting somewhere else, hassle with dogs etc. Probably stopped the site getting robbed too!
    Cost me just under 60k so far , will be another 15 anyway to finish it, footpaths etc. 70sq m ground floor- large kitchen/dining room, utility room, Jack's under stairs, master bedroom upstairs with shower etc ensuite.That includes sofa, table n stove, appliances.
    Spent 7-8k on field stone n red brick surrounds which was a bit of a luxury and 3k on oak stairs but sod it I liked it!
    More hassle, takes longer but saves a fair lump of dough and I know the lads I had in working we're top class. A cousin got an extension done by a builder n every year unearthed a new costly issue.good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I've been in contact with -snip- with regards a two story 55sqm job. Starting price roughly 2500 psqm so near coming in at 140k alone!!

If imagine theyre mote expensive anyway but Christ thats a lot of wedge for an extension!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭FightingIrish

Been quoted €1300 psm for a 23sqm extension (builders finish, 2 velux, 1800mm French doors, basic electrics etc included) in South Dublin, semi D.... Obviously extras gonna drive it up but quote seems reasonable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

Hi all,

Totally new to this and have read through the thread, thinking of an extension to the back of my semi d in south Dublin, access not an issue, approx. 36sq meters (if my calculation are correct? 18ft x 18ft)

Is it as simple as getting quotes and talking with builders as to what we'd like or do we need to have arch drawing etc. in place before even contacting a builder?

Advice appreciated.

Thanks.

You only have 30.1 sq meters to pay for - that should help the budget!

Have had one quote this week at €1300 psm, assuming this is reasonable from what I've read

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Have had one quote this week at €1300 psm, assuming this is reasonable from what I've read

Means nothing. Get at least 3 quotes, assuming you something that allows ‘like for like’ pricing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It’s only reasonable if you know what you are getting for that. Then give that specific list to 2more contractors to price also.

Then list out what’s required to make it turn key and see what the final bill will be.

Thanks all, getting 2 more this week, have a written quote now from builder 1 to compare, do you suggest showing this to the other builders so they can compete or just let them quote first?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

A mistake I'm guilty of is looking at square meter pricing guides and then getting a shock when you join all of the dots.

The extension part is the cheap and easy step, it's what comes after like moving walls, hidden electrical costs etc.

I've a 20 sqm extension that will end up costing 60+ without floors, painting furnishing etc.

My advise would be get a number of quotes then call back the one you want to go with and get a 'real' quote. The second time the builder comes back ask him to do a full inspection- look at the amount of steel he will need, look at drains, get his electrican to look at wiring etc. This will save some shocks later on!

Yeah my quote comes in at 65k with vat and extras as you rightly mention

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭Jim1000

thanks for reply enricoh,

wasn't your original estimation 20,000? Or was I mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Lorrainbo

Hi, im wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what I would get for a 2storey extension to rear of house (small 3 bed semi detached in Donegal) and for €60,000?
    Would I he expecting a builders finish or a turn key finish? Very clueless about this stuff and id like to have some sort of clue before I would commit to anything. Im looking at buying a house but would intend to extend onto the back as all the rooms are quite small. I know its a bit like asking how long is a piece of string but would appreciate any info. TIA 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Moving2017

Thanks all, getting 2 more this week, have a written quote now from builder 1 to compare, do you suggest showing this to the other builders so they can compete or just let them quote first?

What we did was just talk each builder through the job and ask them to provide a quote... We then compared the details to make our decision.. an excel spreadsheet is the easiest way to compare them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

Jim1000 wrote: »
    thanks for reply enricoh,

wasn't your original estimation 20,000? Or was I mistaken.

No I meant watertight for 20k, probably got it in at close enough to that. Not including decorative stone that was about 7k
    When i was tying in the roof there was no felt under the old roof and I wanted a defunct cracked chimney removed so I got new lats, felt, slates on 3 sides and all new ridge tiles. That was another good few grand on top of my 20 but well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I am looking at the same plan lads. In our case, it will be an upper floor extension above a lower floor one we did 4 years ago. So foundations are in, access is not a problem, but will involve some break-through up the outside walls upstairs, lots of new internal walls and finishes, and a new apex roof...

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

Consulted an architect today about advising on a 30sq m single story extension to the back of my midterrace house. He asked my budget and I told him 60k to which he responded that I had misbudgetted and wouldn't get an extension done for less than 150k. Am I missing something here folks? Reassurance would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

150k is madness. Crazy talk. I had an extension done in Sth Dub, 12 months ago of 30sqm (builders finish) for less than 60k (net).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Lash_Alert wrote: »
    Consulted an architect today about advising on a 30sq m single story extension to the back of my midterrace house. He asked my budget and I told him 60k to which he responded that I had misbudgetted and wouldn't get an extension done for less than 150k. Am I missing something here folks? Reassurance would be good.

Tell Dermot Bannon he has lost touch with reality :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

jay0109 wrote: »
    150k is madness. Crazy talk. I had an extension done in Sth Dub, 12 months ago of 30sqm (builders finish) for less than 60k (net).

It all depends on structure and legal aspects. If you go for non insured, non registered builder it can be cheap but also high risk. If you go all legal it can't cost just 60k
    Remember cost of qualified contractor is around 40 euros per hour, if you employ him it will cost you 19 euros per hour plus PRSI, employers liability insurance and tools. Than take into account Public liability insurance, Health and safety costs to get all RAMS ready.
    If contractor charges less than 35-40 per hour it means he didn't have some of the papers as they add to the cost.
    Now multiply amount of tradesman by worked hours, add materials, make sure they comply with regs or TGD and you see how it is impossible to build for less.

It all depends on structure and legal aspects. If you go for non insured, non registered builder it can be cheap but also high risk. If you go all legal it can't cost just 60k
    Remember cost of qualified contractor is around 40 euros per hour, if you employ him it will cost you 19 euros per hour plus PRSI, employers liability insurance and tools. Than take into account Public liability insurance, Health and safety costs to get all RAMS ready.
    If contractor charges less than 35-40 per hour it means he didn't have some of the papers as they add to the cost.
    Now multiply amount of tradesman by worked hours, add materials, make sure they comply with regs or TGD and you see how it is impossible to build for less.

You've lost me. You've made a big jump from price per hour to " it is impossible to build for less". Can you connect the dots? Cheers

• Advertisement

You've lost me. You've made a big jump from price per hour to " it is impossible to build for less". Can you connect the dots? Cheers
    By calculating total. Say 4 tradesman working 40 hours a week and finishing extension in 8 weeks will cost 51200 euros labour cost plus plumbers and electricians average cost 55-60 per hour. Add all materials and VAT.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Consulted an architect today about advising on a 30sq m single story extension to the back of my midterrace house. He asked my budget and I told him 60k to which he responded that I had misbudgetted and wouldn't get an extension done for less than 150k.

Am I missing something here folks? Reassurance would be good.

Question is, what are we missing?

Are you doing ANY works to the existing house?
    Is it just a 30m2 extension?

Ie a small extension and the existing kitchen remodeled, walls knocked Through and the plumbing is from the 50’s so it’s a replumb and rewire and redecorate and rearrange etc etc

BryanF wrote: »
    Question is, what are we missing?

Are you doing ANY works to the existing house?
    Is it just a 30m2 extension?

Ie a small extension and the existing kitchen remodeled, walls knocked Through and the plumbing is from the 50’s so it’s a replumb and rewire and redecorate and rearrange etc etc

You aren't missing anything sadly. You have as much information as the architect did. All I was trying to do was gauge what architect fees are. House built in early 90's. But yes that's the job.

By calculating total. Say 4 tradesman working 40 hours a week and finishing extension in 8 weeks will cost 51200 euros labour cost plus plumbers and electricians average cost 55-60 per hour. Add all materials and VAT.

Tradesmen on 80k per annum? Electricians/plumbers on over 100k? Jaysus the boom is back indeed!

Tradesmen on 80k per annum? Electricians/plumbers on over 100k? Jaysus the boom is back indeed!

It's contract not employment as no client employs tradesman. Cost includes legal fee, insurance, accountancy fee, H&S costs, tools, equipment office and other related costs plus profit. So most of the money goes to office workers and taxman, leaving tradesman with 20-25 euros per hour salary.
    What you are saying is good example of how misunderstood tradesman are in this country. If you see a tradesman who charges 20 per hour it means he didn't have any legal backing. Tradesman makes same amount as 5 years back, but insurance companies, accountants etc. are increasing there costs and that affect all tradesman who prefer work legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

It all depends on structure and legal aspects.
    With all due respect, nothing that you have outlined explains the difference that could get the job up to 150k for what is a simple straight forward extension as outlined

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

jay0109 wrote: »
    With all due respect, nothing that you have outlined explains the difference that could get the job up to 150k for what is a simple straight forward extension as outlined

150k would buy you a 3 bed semi in the midlands. 195k would buy you a 4-5 bed. Prespective.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

I got quoted 34000 for a 17m2 kitchen extension. Flat roof fully finished with floor sockets lights etc and the kitchen fitted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

mcbobbyb wrote: »
    I got quoted 34000 for a 17m2 kitchen extension. Flat roof fully finished with floor sockets lights etc and the kitchen fitted.

Thats a decent price. Really good. It includes the kitchen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

Dev84 wrote: »
    Thats a decent price. Really good. It includes the kitchen?

Yeah 4000 of that is kitchen.. it's a small extension and is bang on 2000 a square meter. But that's fully finished.

Advertisement