Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of extension 2017

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

mcbobbyb wrote: »
    Yeah 4000 of that is kitchen.. it's a small extension and is bang on 2000 a square meter. But that's fully finished.

Savage. Presume you'll go for it? Wjen you say fully furnished what do you mean exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

Dev84 wrote: »
    Savage. Presume you'll go for it? Wjen you say fully furnished what do you mean exactly?

Fully finished I said. We still have to buy appliances and other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

Yeah 4000 of that is kitchen.. it's a small extension and is bang on 2000 a square meter. But that's fully finished.

Good price. Builder have good reputation? Can I ask you to send me on their details in PM. Cheers

Fully finished I said. We still have to buy appliances and other stuff.

My bad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

4K PC sum is white low for a kitchen in my opinion.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    4K PC sum is white low for a kitchen in my opinion.

Why quite low? Depends on the size of kitchen

Why quite low? Depends on the size of kitchen

Based on personal info it’s a low P.C. sum.
    Most jobs I am involved in, a standard kitchen plus for out is about 7-10k

Based on personal info it’s a low P.C. sum.
    Most jobs I am involved in, a standard kitchen plus for out is about 7-10k

I had a kitchen fitted in 2015 for 2500. Appliances were around 1500.

Im in no way doubting you about 7-10k but are people better off trying to source the kitchen and fitter themselves than going through the builders?

The cabinets are made from a melamine not solid timber or anything that fancy and I don't have granite worktops but it does the job and it looks well.

Dev84 wrote: »
    I had a kitchen fitted in 2015 for 2500. Appliances were around 1500.

Im in no way doubting you about 7-10k but are people better off trying to source the kitchen and fitter themselves than going through the builders?

The cabinets are made from a melamine not solid timber or anything that fancy and I don't have granite worktops but it does the job and it looks well.

My involvement was independent of the builders. Builder just provided first fix and waste. In fairness though, they wouldn’t have been melamine, they would be solid wood with stone tops in most cases.

Appliances came to 3k give or take, allowing for everything to be integrated which also ups the kitchen cost as you need extra doors.

Each to their own m, I firmly believe in that. I believe in getting the building built, you can always upgrade the kitchen later.

My involvement was independent of the builders. Builder just provided first fix and waste. In fairness though, they wouldn’t have been melamine, they would be solid wood with stone tops in most cases.

Appliances came to 3k give or take, allowing for everything to be integrated which also ups the kitchen cost as you need extra doors.

Each to their own m, I firmly believe in that. I believe in getting the building built, you can always upgrade the kitchen later.

I get ye. Id love solid timber and granite but the chaps would have lumps out of it.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote:

Was that 3000 out of your total. I'm saying 4000 without appliances and I only have units going on one wall. And again it's a small enough space.

Was that 3000 out of your total. I'm saying 4000 without appliances and I only have units going on one wall. And again it's a small enough space.

Yes. Based on prices from power city online. The client can then upgrade if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mcd121

Hey folks, im looking for advice on whether its worth my while cost wise to extend out to an old shed right behind my house and convert. Its an old stone shed. So basically a hall from house to shed. Advantage would be i would not need planning as hall would be 20m2. I have a price for shed works. Wondering what that "hall" would cost? Simple structure to join 2 buildings. 2 windows door and roof. No plumbing or wiring needed (brother is electrician, he could do it). Seeing 2k per square metre on this thread. Surely wouldnt cost me 40k? Apologies for general qiestion i havent a clue on this and just looking for general advice. Thanks in advance. Galway area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I am engaging architects at the moment for an end of terrace single story extension with 25 square metres out the back and 15 square metres to the side. would 90k cover this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I am engaging architects at the moment for an end of terrace single story extension with 25 square metres out the back and 15 square metres to the side. would 90k cover this ?
    It should do, we’ve just got a quote for a 22 sq m for 30k. We are just going out back with open living space and bi folding doors with a glass apex above. Price includes RSJ, moving drain , plumbing, electrics , glass , doors, velux, skirting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭murphf

ted1 wrote: »
    It should do, we’ve just got a quote for a 22 sq m for 30k. We are just going out back with open living space and bi folding doors with a glass apex above. Price includes RSJ, moving drain , plumbing, electrics , glass , doors, velux, skirting etc.

Not sure where I am going wrong our quotes are above this! We are going to get a 32 square meter rear extension, so basically knock back wall, add on the open plan living area , and the build alone is coming in around 50k! Builders keep adding on extras , we just want simple, and the one we wanted to do it seems to be over quoting, not sure if he doesn’t want the job as he did say he had something bigger in the pipeline around then ... why not just say so then?!

Anyone have any recommendations for a good reliable builder reasonably priced in north dublin? Will you go with your quote ?

murphf wrote: »
    Not sure where I am going wrong our quotes are above this! We are going to get a 32 square meter rear extension, so basically knock back wall, add on the open plan living area , and the build alone is coming in around 50k! Builders keep adding on extras , we just want simple, and the one we wanted to do it seems to be over quoting, not sure if he doesn’t want the job as he did say he had something bigger in the pipeline around then ... why not just say so then?!

Anyone have any recommendations for a good reliable builder reasonably priced in north dublin? Will you go with your quote ?

32 Sq, M extension using rule of thumb of 1500/m2 = €48,000, so the prices seem correct. Plus, prices im seeing now are upwards of 1700-1800 per Sq. M.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭theboringfox

32 Sq, M extension using rule of thumb of 1500/m2 = €48,000, so the prices seem correct. Plus, prices im seeing now are upwards of 1700-1800 per Sq. M.

And I assume it can vary significantly by client based on the materials and work involved. I was told anything from 1500 to 2000 sqm

And I assume it can vary significantly by client based on the materials and work involved. I was told anything from 1500 to 2000 sqm

For sure. when you start adding lift and slide doors, glazed roof lights, open vaulted ceilings etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I am looking for a double height extension on the right hand side which will be around 15 square mentres on each level and then a 25 square metre breakfast diner out the back. thats the dream so if 120k doesnt cover that it will be pushed back to one storey on the right and 25 sq metres out the back.

going to get plans for both and then get them priced, i am keeping a lot of stuff like windows and units fridge appliances etc and i am sourcing a lot of the trades myself, i am not sure how much this will save in the end but it cant hurt.

• Advertisement

I am looking for a double height extension on the right hand side which will be around 15 square mentres on each level and then a 25 square metre breakfast diner out the back. thats the dream so if 120k doesnt cover that it will be pushed back to one storey on the right and 25 sq metres out the back.

going to get plans for both and then get them priced, i am keeping a lot of stuff like windows and units fridge appliances etc and i am sourcing a lot of the trades myself, i am not sure how much this will save in the end but it cant hurt.

You need planning either way so best to set the planning on something you can actually afford to build.

Only bad side to that is that you’ll have to pay for the 2 sets of plans to be drawn up so a higher cost at the start but best for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭murphf

But does that include doors windows etc? Or just the shell?

murphf wrote: »
    But does that include doors windows etc? Or just the shell?

Holders finish usually. Sealed and ready for kitchen, painting and flooring.
    Rough calculation, it’s not something you take to the bank with you. It’s to see if your finances are in the ball park of what the costs will expect to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Jacovs

We are thinking of a ground floor extension, bedroom and en-suite total floor area of less than 20sq meter in dublin. But before we started on that we thought about a small sunroom/conservatory added onto the kitchen. Only talking 3,5sq meter, but the first estimate we got is €17000 for this. For the most basic they have. €5000/sq meter.
    So what should we expect for nearly 20sq meter extension?
    Bit disheartening if its getting to these levels.

Here’s a quote I got for 20sq m

As per our phone conversation there
    I have attached a quote for you .
    Sunroom width is 5000 m x 4000 projection.
    Dig foundations@ 900 mm and pour concrete,
    Build concrete block walls on each side
    Pour sub floor fully insolated to level of existing kitchen floor.
    Install lightweight supalite roof
    Fully insolated .
    Install new pvc french doors with floor to ceiling side screens.
    2 no velux / Roof lights
    Double sockets throughout.
    Led Recess lights throughout.
    2 no Radiators.
    Smooth plaster on external.
    Skimmed ceiling and walls internally.
    Remove existing kitchen window out door and existing wall and install and RSJ Beam @4600 and make good .
    Pvc fascia, soffit and guttering around the new build .
    Relocate any service pipes .

Total cost for above is
    Euro 32,500 vat inc.

You can also avail of the HRI scheme where you can claim the vat back@ 13.5%.

Fully insolated .
    2 no velux / Roof lights
    2 no Radiators.
    Remove existing kitchen window out door and existing wall and install and RSJ Beam @4600 and make good .

Total cost for above is
    Euro 32,500 vat inc.

On a note with regards to the wording of this quote. The quote states it’s a sun room but once you break out the kitchen window and remove the wall below, you have now broken the envelope of the building. This means the extension (sunroom) needs to comply with building regulations.

So be mindful of insulation levels, windows etc

Fully insolated .
    2 no velux / Roof lights
    2 no Radiators.

Total cost for above is
    Euro 32,500 vat inc.

On a note with regards to the wording of this quote. The quote states it’s a sun room but once you break out the kitchen window and remove the wall below, you have now broken the envelope of the building. This means the extension (sunroom) needs to comply with building regulations.

So be mindful of insulation levels, windows etc

Will do. It also be looking for engineering sign off too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Fully insolated .
    2 no velux / Roof lights
    2 no Radiators.

Total cost for above is
    Euro 32,500 vat inc.

Well thats a hell of a lot more reasonable. Hoping the HRI scheme gets extended into next year because it would be a scramble to get everything done this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

This is a great thread - I started a smilar one 4 years ago when I first thought of extending but much like the extension it never went very far....
    So I'm back looking at this far more seriously this time. 
    We are looking at either extending or trading up to get an extra bit of room. We have a corner site 4 bed semi so looking at a ground floor side of house extension. See a similar one in a house we viewed which was just what we are looking for and it was 25sqm. My thinking though is to also relocate the utility room to the new extension so probably end up 30/35 sqm. 
    I'm meeting a builder this week hopefully to get some idea of costs so that I can weigh it up against the cost of trading up. Over the phone was told 25/30k but expect this to be light once I tell him what I'm looking for. 
    Would involve building extension, kocking through from side of house (through existing utility room is my thought), moving drains, installing plumbing and electricity in new extension and some form or heating (gas heating so will probably go rads but consider underfloor). Pitched roof to side of house  with several skylights.
    Am tempted to involve an architect to ensure we get the best ideas (not something I'm great at and expect builder to come up with a concrete box if let) - what kind of costs are likely for an architect? Would 2/3 k do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Moving2017

Coat22 wrote: »
    This is a great thread - I started a smilar one 4 years ago when I first thought of extending but much like the extension it never went very far....
    So I'm back looking at this far more seriously this time. 
    We are looking at either extending or trading up to get an extra bit of room. We have a corner site 4 bed semi so looking at a ground floor side of house extension. See a similar one in a house we viewed which was just what we are looking for and it was 25sqm. My thinking though is to also relocate the utility room to the new extension so probably end up 30/35 sqm. 
    I'm meeting a builder this week hopefully to get some idea of costs so that I can weigh it up against the cost of trading up. Over the phone was told 25/30k but expect this to be light once I tell him what I'm looking for. 
    Would involve building extension, kocking through from side of house (through existing utility room is my thought), moving drains, installing plumbing and electricity in new extension and some form or heating (gas heating so will probably go rads but consider underfloor). Pitched roof to side of house  with several skylights.
    Am tempted to involve an architect to ensure we get the best ideas (not something I'm great at and expect builder to come up with a concrete box if let) - what kind of costs are likely for an architect? Would 2/3 k do it?

Architect fee's are generally based on a % of the build costs, I believe

Advertisement