Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of extension 2017

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Moving2017 wrote: »
    Architect fee's are generally based on a % of the build costs, I believe

Percentages will differ

Economies of scale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I have engaged a building company for the extension i am planning and they have a deal with a draftsman that does the drawings for them that they say you will get the fees back if you agree to go with the builder. the draughtsman said yesterday that you dont need to be certified for every stage of the buikld and only need to be certified at the end, he saud that it would cost around 20k to be certified by an independent certifier at each stage. when i heard that i saw red flags going off but i am new to this so am not sure. is he talking ****e?

Not necessarily talking Sh1te. you may wish to clarify whether opting in or out of BCAR is your only option

he attepted to explain the opt in v opt out option and tbh he lost me, can i get info on it in plain english anywhere? if its opt out and you go to sell your house it may cause issues is the very basic i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

I have engaged a building company for the extension i am planning and they have a deal with a draftsman that does the drawings for them that they say you will get the fees back if you agree to go with the builder. the draughtsman said yesterday that you dont need to be certified for every stage of the buikld and only need to be certified at the end, he saud that it would cost around 20k to be certified by an independent certifier at each stage. when i heard that i saw red flags going off but i am new to this so am not sure. is he talking ****e?

My engineer who happens to be offer draughtsman services also ;) advised me it is not a good idea to use a builder's draughtsman as is better to use an independent service here (whether it was their service or someone else). Wonder what people's thoughts are on this? I would be inclined to think it makes sense to have someone independent here so that "easier options" (I don't necessarily mean short cuts) are not taken for the wrong reasons.

• Advertisement

ravendude wrote: »
    My engineer who happens to be offer draughtsman services also ;) advised me it is not a good idea to use a builder's draughtsman as is better to use an independent service here (whether it was their service or someone else). Wonder what people's thoughts are on this? I would be inclined to think it makes sense to have someone independent here so that "easier options" (I don't necessarily mean short cuts) are not taken for the wrong reasons.

You need someone independent to bat on your behalf. I don't see a draftsman employed by your builder doing that. they may not necessarily have your interests at heart- you're paying the builder- he's paying the draftsman- go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Folks, just trying to square up my thoughts, especially looking at some of the other quotes here.

We're looking at an extension at the back, ground floor only, involves knocking the existing "extension" (which was part of the original build) and rebuilding an extension across the entire back of the house. RSJ required, total floor area to be built is 20sq.m. Extension to have a gabled roof with skylights, plus downstairs loo, new kitchen and optionally a 13sq.m. block shed out the back. Access is an issue, it's mid-terrace.

Both the architect and builder originally said that our budget of €40k would do fine for the extension without the kitchen, add in the kitchen and shed and it would come in around €60k plus change.

We asked the builder's surveyor to give us a provisional figure to go to the bank, and he came back with €90k :eek: We're still waiting on a final figure from him, but if that's the provisional, I can't see it dropping by a third.

The architect has told us this is a crazy price, we think this is pretty crazy, so I just want to make sure we're right in thinking that this is crazy money. :D

I also have good reason to be concerned that the surveyor is mixing our build up with someone else's, and this is why the costs are all over the place.

So before I go back and start arguing the figures I just wanted to be sure that I'm not just out of touch. Judging by some of the other quotes here, I'm guessing I'm not.

got a quote for 160k

seamus wrote: »
    Folks, just trying to square up my thoughts, especially looking at some of the other quotes here.

We're looking at an extension at the back, ground floor only, involves knocking the existing "extension" (which was part of the original build) and rebuilding an extension across the entire back of the house. RSJ required, total floor area to be built is 20sq.m. Extension to have a gabled roof with skylights, plus downstairs loo, new kitchen and optionally a 13sq.m. block shed out the back. Access is an issue, it's mid-terrace.

Both the architect and builder originally said that our budget of €40k would do fine for the extension without the kitchen, add in the kitchen and shed and it would come in around €60k plus change.

We asked the builder's surveyor to give us a provisional figure to go to the bank, and he came back with €90k :eek: We're still waiting on a final figure from him, but if that's the provisional, I can't see it dropping by a third.

The architect has told us this is a crazy price, we think this is pretty crazy, so I just want to make sure we're right in thinking that this is crazy money. :D

I also have good reason to be concerned that the surveyor is mixing our build up with someone else's, and this is why the costs are all over the place.

So before I go back and start arguing the figures I just wanted to be sure that I'm not just out of touch. Judging by some of the other quotes here, I'm guessing I'm not.

if i was only talking about the exact same as you 25 sq metres minus the block shed i was quoted 70k including fixtures and fittings (kitchen included)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Did a 20m2 extension 2years ago to replace a conservatory and stripped out the existing kitchen /dining room 30m2 and was 50k for builder, around 80k including kitchen, architect etc...

A lot of money but made a huge difference to the house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Hi,

We're currently bidding on a 3 bed semi-detached house which would need an extension. We'd like to add an extra ensuite master bedroom upstairs and extend the kitchen out downstairs.

We had a builder out yesterday who estimated that it would cost €210k to "do it right". This makes the house a no go as it's completely outside of our budget.

From reading through this thread, it looks like €2000 a square metre would be accurate enough as an estimate. Does that apply when it's a 2 storey extension?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Well I had.my house up on the market 1350sqft would only cost me 50-60k to upgrade to 2500-3000sqft

noel100 wrote: »
    Well I had.my house up on the market 1350sqft would only cost me 50-60k to upgrade to 2500-3000sqft

Across 2 floors? Did you price that with a number of builders etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Sorry meant to say trading rather than building... Bigger houses don't seem to be as pricey as smaller houses.. when selling and buying in a similar location.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Moving2017

John_Mc wrote: »
    Hi,

We're currently bidding on a 3 bed semi-detached house which would need an extension. We'd like to add an extra ensuite master bedroom upstairs and extend the kitchen out downstairs.

We had a builder out yesterday who estimated that it would cost €210k to "do it right". This makes the house a no go as it's completely outside of our budget.

From reading through this thread, it looks like €2000 a square metre would be accurate enough as an estimate. Does that apply when it's a 2 storey extension?

Did the builder quote based on your brief or what he thought should be done?

I had one quote, that decided that extra work was needed like knocking a wall to give more space to the bathroom, while I preferred to leave the wall where it was and have the space in the bedroom. needless to say with all the "extras" he decided we "needed" the quote was off by a country mile!

Did the builder quote based on your brief or what he thought should be done?

I had one quote, that decided that extra work was needed like knocking a wall to give more space to the bathroom, while I preferred to leave the wall where it was and have the space in the bedroom. needless to say with all the "extras" he decided we "needed" the quote was off by a country mile!

It was very much finger in the air type of stuff as we had no drawings, sketches or measurements, but to go to 210k when we were expecting 120k was a bit of a fright.

We're only talking a master ensuite bedroom upstairs and then a kitchen/living area in the extension downstairs so not much in terms of space. Maybe 50 squared metres.

It was very much finger in the air type of stuff as we had no drawings, sketches or measurements, but to go to 210k when we were expecting 120k was a bit of a fright.

We're only talking a master ensuite bedroom upstairs and then a kitchen/living area in the extension downstairs so not much in terms of space. Maybe 50 squared metres.

Are you hoping to do with with or without planning permission? Where in the country are you? Prices can vary greatly.

Are you hoping to do with with or without planning permission? Where in the country are you? Prices can vary greatly.

We'll need planning permission alright. We're in Limerick and will be using an architect.

I'm just wondering if €120k could get you that type of extension. We need to know before buying the house and getting to the detailed numbers with architect and quotes from builders.

We'll need planning permission alright. We're in Limerick and will be using an architect.

I'm just wondering if €120k could get you that type of extension. We need to know before buying the house and getting to the detailed numbers with architect and quotes from builders.

I'm Dublin, so can't comment on the local Limerick market, There might be someone here with more local knowledge, Have you already got the architect? they'll be able to point you in the right direction cost wise...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭wally79

Hi looking for some guidance if possible.

We are looking at 2 houses in Kildare.

They are built off the same plans but one has had the garage converted with extension above to turn it into a 4 bed while the other is original 3 bed with side garage

Obviously there is a significant price difference but I wanted to try and compare buying the 4 bed ready to go and buying the 3 bed and extending in the future

It would be approx 20 sqm on each level.

on the back of the fag packet I used below prices. please let me know if I need to correct these

Garage conversion 1k per sqm
    1st floor extension 2k per sqm

If upstairs extension required do you cost the garage conversion at new build price?

i.e. If I was using 1k per sqm for the ground and 2k for the first floor so was coming in around 60k but should I be using 2k per sqm for the whole build so 80k

Also, this is a fairly standard extension in the area is there anyway to find out what contractor carried it out, bar knocking on doors.

wally79 wrote: »

Also, this is a fairly standard extension in the area is there anyway to find out what contractor carried it out, bar knocking on doors.

It might be possible to find out what architect undertook the work, if it needed planning... but this wont give you the name of the contractor unless it's a one stop shop kinda job where they design and build the extension. If planning wasn't required you'll have to ask the owner....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It might be possible to find out what architect undertook the work, if it needed planning... but this wont give you the name of the contractor unless it's a one stop shop kinda job where they design and build the extension. If planning wasn't required you'll have to ask the owner....

You can check the Commencement Notice online and see if the contractor is named on it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

wally79 wrote: »
    Hi looking for some guidance if possible.

We are looking at 2 houses in Kildare.

They are built off the same plans but one has had the garage converted with extension above to turn it into a 4 bed while the other is original 3 bed with side garage

Obviously there is a significant price difference but I wanted to try and compare buying the 4 bed ready to go and buying the 3 bed and extending in the future

It would be approx 20 sqm on each level.

on the back of the fag packet I used below prices. please let me know if I need to correct these

Garage conversion 1k per sqm
    1st floor extension 2k per sqm

If upstairs extension required do you cost the garage conversion at new build price?

i.e. If I was using 1k per sqm for the ground and 2k for the first floor so was coming in around 60k but should I be using 2k per sqm for the whole build so 80k

First you have to check if the existing garage walls and foundations can take the additional storey.

60-80k seems a reasonable guess though for the 2 storey works.
    Depending on location obviously, I seen one this week for 90k in Dublin City. Ground floor garage conversion and first floor new build.
    No kitchen included.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Second Captain

Okay folks,
    Looking for opinions on the full cost incl poressional fees and vat involved for a single storey 14/15sq.m. extension (let’s say to builders finish) and kitchen reorientation to a small mid terrace corporation-built house in south Dublin. current and proposed layout in attached file.
    • Access is via house only. Also on single lane culdesac with 8x4m cobblelock front ‘garden’, full width opening.
    • Neighbour on one side has a longer extension than I’m proposing with a parapet side wall fully on his side of the boundary.
    • Existing floor is varnished suspended floorboards throughout. Would be looking at best value floor and roof option for the extension.
    • Internal wall to be removed is non load bearing wooden partition incorporating door and internal window but does have radiator on kitchen side
    • will look to reuse sink, integrated fridge-freezer, dishwasher and electric oven in new kitchen. New gas hob (and supply thereto) and extractor required.
    • upstairs bathroom is located at northwest corner. Services location uncertain!
    • would love bifolds but will settle for sliding or French doors to garden. Don’t think veluxes required given size/orientation.
    • sockets in each corner of ext.plus tv point. Existing wiring in house is old, external to walls
    • need to relocate condensing gas boiler from current kitchen location
    • will also add tiled roof porch to front to match neighbors if budget allows

A friend who has renovated a couple of similar places is saying 50-60k all told depending on spec (I’d be going for decent quality but no bling).

Do you think that is an accurate estimate?

IMO the width is too tight for an island

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Second Captain

BryanF wrote: »
    IMO the width is too tight for an island
    I’ve probably exaggerated the depth of the island in that drawing, it’d be the same as the standard countertop against the wall. It still might not work. An alternative layout I’m considering is to run all the kitchen units along the north west wall of the extension and into the existing building as far as the utility cupboard.

I’d be getting an architect to advise and do the actual layout of course. I’m more interested in the cost estimate tbh and whether I have the budget to start down this road (sorry, I may not have been clear about that).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Budget for 3-3.5k per square metre, based on quotes I've gotten for an extension in a mid-terrace. €60k all in, including VAT and professional fees sounds about right.

Seamus
    In Dublin ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭theboringfox

I met three architects earlier this year about extension to 3 bed semi D in Cork City. Usual side and back extension. Back of envelope they generally said allow 150 to 200sqm on extension. They recommended new windows and concrete floors on existing house to improve insulation. Existing house was modernised to basic standard 10 years ago so some other works needed. Roughly estimated 50k for existing. So we were talking about a 70sqm extension costing 140k plus 50k on existing house. Contingency etc likely putting it north of 200k. Waiting on final drawing and costs but worried now about total cost and whether house will be worth it's current value plus cost after. Not interested in selling but there is LTV to consider. Can see myself becoming a reluctant seller and just buying again instead.

Advertisement