Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of extension 2017

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

BryanF wrote: »
    Seamus
    In Dublin ?
    Yeah. Definitely paying a Dublin premium, but the manual labour required by the mid-terrace - shovels and wheelbarrows only, no heavy machinery - makes enough of a difference.

I had one builder suggest that tearing the entire front off the house might work out cheaper overall because then he could get a mini digger in. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

2 storey double height extension on the right hand side coming in at about 30 square metres and a 25 square meter extension out the back. i was told ball park 160k. i thought this figure was very high. am i being naive? there will be full access to the back as this is an end of terrace extension. this is in west Dublin.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

2 storey double height extension on the right hand side coming in at about 30 square metres and a 25 square meter extension out the back. i was told ball park 160k. i thought this figure was very high. am i being naive? there will be full access to the back as this is an end of terrace extension. this is in west Dublin.

Was that the lowest of 3 quotes?
    Did you issue builders drawings? And did they say they were available?

BryanF wrote: »
    Was that the lowest of 3 quotes?
    Did you issue builders drawings? And did they say they were available?

I am new to this so im not sure if drawings for planning approval are the same as builders drawings, we have agreed a layout and are going for planning permission now. i presume builders drawings are after you get planning permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Goldengirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    I was thinking of doing the same, I've an area of 4 metres each side then 5 metres across and a pitched roof to tie into. I've a side entrance aswell. The ground floor extension cost me €40k six years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I am new to this so im not sure if drawings for planning approval are the same as builders drawings, we have agreed a layout and are going for planning permission now. i presume builders drawings are after you get planning permission?

Planning drawings are a basic set to get you through planning.
    Construction drawings show all the details, proper foundation, floor slab details. Itemised insulation details. Roof details, wall build up, rafter sizes, spec of windows, doors etc

They are worlds apart.

kceire wrote: »
    Planning drawings are a basic set to get you through planning.
    Construction drawings show all the details, proper foundation, floor slab details. Itemised insulation details. Roof details, wall build up, rafter sizes, spec of windows, doors etc

They are worlds apart.

hmmm i am 5 weeks into planning now so ill have to start getting quotes. any recomendations welcome. i am pretty sure my planning will be denied. i am proposing a double height extension that is a bay window up to the top level but no other house on the street has it and they are all terraced i may be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Quote 1

€2532psqm inc VAT

40sqm Extension in S. Dublin

- 3 bed semi D.
    - Ground floor extension with partial second floor (exempted dev).
    - Limited access to rear (Side gate only).
    - Kitchen being re-used as well as existing windows and double doors, with additional windows required.
    - Finished state excluding furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Wow so expensive

Laminate could you not do this yourself

Ceiling finish. Is it gold leaf.

I don't know sounds crazy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Yes, was surprised, wouldn't make sense to do it, as would never increase the value by that much.

Cheaper to sell and buy bigger. Less risk.

• Advertisement

First Quote 167k second 187k, hmmm not sure if this is viable at this point. probably better off selling with these prices

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭theboringfox

First Quote 167k second 187k, hmmm not sure if this is viable at this point. probably better off selling with these prices

I got a quote for 65m2 to side and back extension. Looking at 250k plus from QS. Based in Cork City. House cost 300k. Asked valuer and view was if I sold I'd get 350k and with extension house worth 450k plus. Said I could be pissing away money.

Costs just too high. Its not anyone's fault either. Just means I'm looking at a trade up in future rather than extension.

Those prices seem reasonable/typical tbh wildlifeboy. If anything I'd expect the 167k to come in 20-30% over budget.

Depends on what you want out of your extension - are you doing it to make your house worth more, or to make it a nicer place to live for the long-term?

You'll virtually never make your money back on extensions/renovations unless you buy a complete heap and pour a lot of your own labour into it.

The other thing to consider is that moving in the current market isn't easy. Will you even be able to get a mortgage to buy a bigger property, and if so what state will it be in?

For the benefit of the thread, ours is just finished and came in at just over €3,500 per square metre. S Dublin, terrace with no rear access, ground floor extension + kitchen, downstairs jacks & gas conversion.

We considered buying but there was literally nothing for sale in the area that would allow us to spend the same money and move in. The only things which came up would require 50k of renovations after moving in. New houses are in a poorer location with less garden and spread over 3 floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

seamus wrote: »
    Those prices seem reasonable/typical tbh wildlifeboy. If anything I'd expect the 167k to come in 20-30% over budget.

Depends on what you want out of your extension - are you doing it to make your house worth more, or to make it a nicer place to live for the long-term?

You'll virtually never make your money back on extensions/renovations unless you buy a complete heap and pour a lot of your own labour into it.

The other thing to consider is that moving in the current market isn't easy. Will you even be able to get a mortgage to buy a bigger property, and if so what state will it be in?

For the benefit of the thread, ours is just finished and came in at just over €3,500 per square metre. S Dublin, terrace with no rear access, ground floor extension + kitchen, downstairs jacks & gas conversion.

We considered buying but there was literally nothing for sale in the area that would allow us to spend the same money and move in. The only things which came up would require 50k of renovations after moving in. New houses are in a poorer location with less garden and spread over 3 floors.

3500 is outrageous money! can I ask how big you went? We're looking at 40sqm terraced house and hoping to go no more than 80k or 100 at a push

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

thehamo wrote: »
    3500 is outrageous money! can I ask how big you went? We're looking at 40sqm terraced house and hoping to go no more than 80k or 100 at a push

You wont get a 40 Sq. M extension finished for 80k by a contractor in Dublin.

kceire wrote: »
    You wont get a 40 Sq. M extension finished for 80k by a contractor in Dublin.

our 25 square metre back extension alone came in at 73k on the quote (the lower quote)

thehamo wrote: »
    About 20 sq.m., give or take.

We were initially in the "WTF" boat at the quote, but we did our research, got some other rough quotes, and throughout the build cross-compared the costs from the QS where we could. We found nothing that we could quibble over.

Obviously we could have saved 10% if we project-managed the thing ourselves, but realistically it would have taken twice as long if not more. The builder had the contacts and the experience. For the first 8 weeks there wasn't a single day gone by that the site was closed up and empty. Much to one neighbour's annoyance :D

Obviously the specifics of builds differ. We couldn't get a sufficient pitch on our roof for tiles, so there was a time and materials difference of the guts of a grand. All of the digging and clearance had to be done by hand, which increases the cost over a build where you have access. We converted to gas, which is not a huge cost given that you have to re-plumb the extension anyway, but probably added €3,000, given the need for a new boiler, re-plumbed hot press, RGI certs, etc.

If it was a standard extension without the kitchen or downstairs jacks, then it would been have €10k less.

I did the painting myself and saved about €75/sq.m at the expense of a tough two week :)

You might get a 40 sq.m. extension for €100k, if all you're doing is building a square box with a couple of radiators and don't need to move any drains, don't need to refit a kitchen, don't need to move plumbing, etc. etc.

By far the thing which increased the cost most in our build was the kitchen - not just the cabinets, but the ancillary work around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

seamus wrote: »
    About 20 sq.m., give or take.

We were initially in the "WTF" boat at the quote, but we did our research, got some other rough quotes, and throughout the build cross-compared the costs from the QS where we could. We found nothing that we could quibble over.

Obviously we could have saved 10% if we project-managed the thing ourselves, but realistically it would have taken twice as long if not more. The builder had the contacts and the experience. For the first 8 weeks there wasn't a single day gone by that the site was closed up and empty. Much to one neighbour's annoyance :D

Obviously the specifics of builds differ. We couldn't get a sufficient pitch on our roof for tiles, so there was a time and materials difference of the guts of a grand. All of the digging and clearance had to be done by hand, which increases the cost over a build where you have access. We converted to gas, which is not a huge cost given that you have to re-plumb the extension anyway, but probably added €3,000, given the need for a new boiler, re-plumbed hot press, RGI certs, etc.

If it was a standard extension without the kitchen or downstairs jacks, then it would been have €10k less.

I did the painting myself and saved about €75/sq.m at the expense of a tough two week :)

You might get a 40 sq.m. extension for €100k, if all you're doing is building a square box with a couple of radiators and don't need to move any drains, don't need to refit a kitchen, don't need to move plumbing, etc. etc.

By far the thing which increased the cost most in our build was the kitchen - not just the cabinets, but the ancillary work around it.

3500 is still outrageous money for that work. A good friend of ours is a builder and he quoted us 2000 psqm qnd 2500 max for a good finish with kitchen included. Now hes obviously doing us a favour but not doing him self put of over a grand per square meter!

Our builder is also a friend and initially quoted us 2-2.5k psqm. :) So did an architect friend.

Until you have it properly costed by a QS, I'd take figures thrown out by the builder with a massive pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

Have an existing small rear single story extension in a mid terrace. Approx 10 sqm and takes about 1/3rd the width of the back space. Looking for a bigger extension taking the full width of the back and would be putting in a new kitchen.

Are we best off knocking the existing extension and starting from scratch.

Where do we start in getting quotes? Get builder to look first? Would an architect be necessary?

Very new to this and not sure where to start.

• Advertisement

we're starting this in two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

we're starting this in two weeks

Did your 160K quote cover the 2? ie. to total 55sqm?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

ravendude wrote: »

And does that cover any other stuff like some renovations to existing?

ravendude wrote: »

the total did cover both yes and it includes all work

Advertisement