Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A2 and A

• 24-01-2017 7:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭

So I am on a provisional A2 restricted licence, does that mean that I need to have my A2 FULL licence for 2 years in order to get direct access to A or does the time period count since getting the provisional licence. Meaning that the minimum period of getting an A licence is 2.5 years? As you have to wait for 6 months after getting the provisional licence before being allowed do to the test.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I think you might be mixing together facts about the regime. The big thing to remember is that 'progressive access' only comes into play when you're talking about having the full A2 prior. Keeping an A2 permit for 2 years doesn't achieve anything in itself in terms of getting closer to the unrestricted cat A. 'Direct access' means you have direct access to a category on taking the driving test.

In a nutshell, if you're over 24- you can just go and add cat A to your permit if that's what you're motivated to do. You can then take the A test and be done with it. This achieves the full A through 'direct access'.

If you're 18-24, you can't get a learner permit for cat A immediately. For cat A permit at this age you need to have held the FULL A2 category for 2 years. If you are 18-24 and you have held the full A2 for two years, you can then get the A permit and then get IBT 'progressive access' for cat A through your instructor and then exchange the progressive access cert and A permit for your full A licence with the NDLS.

Let's say *don't have a full B licence but you turned 18 a month ago (the minimum age for A2 permit) and got your permit straight away. If you wait the 6 months and straight away pass your A2 test at the age of 18 and a half, you can get the cat A permit and progressive IBT at the age of 20 and a half and have a full unrestricted A at the age or 20 and a half. *This is pretty much the youngest anyone can have a full, unrestricted A.

*Remember that if you have a full B licence in advance (ie passing the car test at 17) you won't have to wait 6 months so you could shave it down further.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭johnmolly92

cantdecide wrote: »
    In a nutshell, if you're over 24- you can just go and add cat A to your permit if that's what you're motivated to do.

Does this require taking the cat A IBT?

I got my A2 permit when i was 23, and still have it. Im 24 now and wondering is it worth moving to the A category and taking the test for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Does this require taking the cat A IBT?

I got my A2 permit when i was 23, and still have it. Im 24 now and wondering is it worth moving to the A category and taking the test for that.

Well, you can add A to your permit now as you're over 24.

However, at the moment, assuming you have completed the A2 IBT, you will have to take additional IBT modules in cat A in order to validate the learner category and apply for the A test. Without further training, you could only take an A2 test.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭M94

I think you might be mixing together facts about the regime. The big thing to remember is that 'progressive access' only comes into play when you're talking about having the full A2 prior. Keeping an A2 permit for 2 years doesn't achieve anything in itself in terms of getting closer to the unrestricted cat A. 'Direct access' means you have direct access to a category on taking the driving test.

In a nutshell, if you're over 24- you can just go and add cat A to your permit if that's what you're motivated to do. You can then take the A test and be done with it. This achieves the full A through 'direct access'.

If you're 18-24, you can't get a learner permit for cat A immediately. For cat A permit at this age you need to have held the FULL A2 category for 2 years. If you are 18-24 and you have held the full A2 for two years, you can then get the A permit and then get IBT 'progressive access' for cat A through your instructor and then exchange the progressive access cert and A permit for your full A licence with the NDLS.

Let's say *don't have a full B licence but you turned 18 a month ago (the minimum age for A2 permit) and got your permit straight away. If you wait the 6 months and straight away pass your A2 test at the age of 18 and a half, you can get the cat A permit and progressive IBT at the age of 20 and a half and have a full unrestricted A at the age or 20 and a half. *This is pretty much the youngest anyone can have a full, unrestricted A.

*Remember that if you have a full B licence in advance (ie passing the car test at 17) you won't have to wait 6 months so you could shave it down further.

Ahhh, that's unfortunate I am 21 so that means waiting for a long time. Thanks for the answer anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭johnmolly92

Well, you can add A to your permit now as you're over 24.

However, at the moment, assuming you have completed the A2 IBT, you will have to take additional IBT modules in cat A in order to validate the learner category and apply for the A test. Without further training, you could only take an A2 test.

That's what i thought alright.

Thanks for the info!

• Advertisement
Advertisement