Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Word Doc password

Options
  • 24-01-2017 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭

Stupid question okay...

ive a laptop, someone I live with borrowed it and created a word doc with a password, now cant remember it. (when i say live with i mean my dad okay... :cool:)

is there a way to open this without the password?

i dont have a password on the laptop itself so is there anyway around it? ive had a look online and there are free downloadable things but im not sure how trustworthy they are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

(when i say live with i mean my dad okay... :cool:)
    It's either his date of birth or 1234. Trust me on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

peckerhead wrote: »
    It's either his date of birth or 1234. Trust me on this one.

tried both of those as well as his usual passwords.

any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

because it is a .doc, not a docx it is easier to crack the password.

there is a programme i have used called passware kit, and it should be able to crack that using brute force in a reasonable time.

to the best of my knowledge it is a genuine programme, however i have seen hacked copies of it that i am sure were infected, so i would advise caution there.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

thanks Xterminator,
    ill give it a go this evening. i assume my normal security will pick up any dodgy ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

thanks Xterminator,
    ill give it a go this evening. i assume my normal security will pick up any dodgy ones?

Also, trying to crack a Word 2003 password - is this software free??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

nope genuine version is not free; and cracked versions may be infected.

the basic kit is €50 , but the trial version finds the first 3 letters of password. if you have the 1st 3 letters, would that jog your memory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i found that you can open passworded word docs in open office without the password

Advertisement