Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with large load from hifi power amp

Options
  • 24-01-2017 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hiya!

I'm got a hifi system with a number of components that use lots of power. Specifically a 200w power amp and a pre amplifier. If I turn them on at the same time the trip switch goes, and i lose power. So I have to turn them on one by one.

Thats grand, but I want to add some automation and use a smart plug to turn it on. I could get lots of smart plugs and try and do a delay using software I guess, but I'd love to get a practical solution. Is it possible to just upgrade a fuse to a higher amperage/load?

I don't really know what I'm talking about, would really appreciate some pointers!

Cheers!
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're tripping a breaker, upgrading a fuse isn't going to do anything.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi Gary, can you post a picture of the device that is tripping and I may be able to assist?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

The in rush current of them all switching on together is tripping them. It would be possible to build a small device with a couple of time delay relays to help the problem. Another option, if you don't need them portable would be hard wire them to a fused spur unit. This way you could put them on a suitable breaker on the board

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I doubt that the MCB is tripping, 200 W is a small load for a socket outlet (the average kettle is 3000 W). Edit: Unless the amplifier is faulty!
    A photo would confirm what device is tripping.

I would suspect that it is the RCD that is tripping. If this is the case the solution would be to put the socket circuit concerned on a dedicated RCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruaneg

Thanks for the replies!

It's definitely something with the power amplifier. I had a 400w amp before this one and it didn't cause the problem.

Should I attach a picture of the back of the amp?

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Those large power amplifiers can have a massive inrush current.

You possibly have a B-curve MCB installed. e.g. is the legend on the MCB 'B20'?

If you were to get this changed to a C-curve MCB ( e.g. 'C20'), this handles a higher inrush current and probably would not trip.

Best of luck.

This is the amp, not it's powering 6ft tall speakers that are very power hungry. So as you guys are saying there is no doubt a rush of current. Its in a Cabinet so it's difficult to take a real world photo.

And the fuse board...(probably got the name of that wrong!)

Better quality pic... B20 e61

ruaneg wrote: »
    Better quality pic... B20 e61

Ok, I was wrong. It appears to be an MCB that is tripping.
    I would guess that the amplifier is faulty.
    Although it would have an inrush current I would not expect the current to be of sufficient magnitude to trip a 20 amp B type MCB.

The fact that it is supplying 6 foot speakers is not relevant as the connected load is 200 watts. Or is it? Perhaps the Load is 2000 W (2 kW) ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

I had a huge amp like that about 20 years ago, a Realistic IIRC. It weighted about 30kg and most of that weight is from the enormous power suppy comoonents. The room light used to dim for a fraction of a second when I turned it on!
    More modern amps, but not all, have 'soft start' to limit inrush current.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's inrush, would bet on it. You need a C or D rated MCB.

Steve wrote: »
    It's inrush, would bet on it. You need a C or D rated MCB.

You reckon?
    I have a larger amp, Marantz NR1606. It is 250 W and I have no issues with anything tripping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

2011 wrote: »
    You reckon?
    I have a larger amp, Marantz NR1606. It is 250 W and I have no issues with anything tripping.

My experience is it depends on the power supply - Switch-mode psu's tend to trip RCD's wheras traffo based psu's tend to trip mcb's. I only have experience in panel building and that's what I base my answer on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭whizbang

If thats a BEHRINGER A500 then its known for having a large inrush current. I believe there's info on the web somewhere about building a soft-start circuit for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

whizbang wrote: »
    If thats a BEHRINGER A500

The image 100% is. From its Amazon listing. Thats a 2x 300W not a 200W though so not sure if the OP posted the wrong image. Spec: 3.6A(230VAC, 50Hz)

I know bigger PA amps (2KW) often do a self/loop test for 1-2s on powerup before powering on the amp channels. Not sure how this is done electrically but maybe thats causing the inrush?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭whizbang

Softstarts are usually just a resistor inline with the mains supply to the main transformer. Bypassed with a relay on a 2 sec timer.

From the spec on the page where i bought it, it states:

2x 185 Watt RMS @ 4 Ohms, 2x 125 Watt RMS@ 8 Ohms
    https://www.thomann.de/ie/behringer_a500_studioendstufe.htm

Im using big Magnepan planar speakers that probable use around 4/5 Ohms on average I believe.

thanks Whizbang! thats fantastic, Ill do some googling on soft-start circuits:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I remember a local shop a few years ago, after a power cut, MCB supplying 4 freezer units would trip when reset due to all 4 trying to start compresors at the same instant. Plugging 3 out then reset, plug back in one at a time and no problem. During g normal operation they will never try to start compressors at same instant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement