Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2nd hand leaf-cost home charge point

• 24-01-2017 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭

Question first, then background :
    How much to install external home charge point and could it be set up for 2nd eV in future ie simultaneous charging ?Done professionally ( I don't diy electrics)
    Wife's work journey is 12 miles round trip. She might do another 10 miles once a week. We use my car for long journeys. She's interested in hybrid/eV. Her car worth €8k and will spend max €7k with it. 2nd hand Leafs (up to 3 years old ) look good value.She'll probably keep 5ish years- would probably do 25k miles over that time. She'll purchase this summer.
    However the cost of a charge point might be a factor. Also would a leaf battery last 7/8 years?
    As regards a 2nd point, I might consider a phev down in 2 or 3 years ( I do 25k miles annually )
    Open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thread here on EVSE install costs.
    Most of the "standard" home wall mount chargers are single socket so they can only charge one car at a time. Any dual socket ones are typically the post type chargers and they are more expensive.
    You also have to think about the amount of power that two cars will draw at the one time and whether your distribution board can take two simultaneous draws. Most cars draw 3.3kW but the newer ones are starting to come with 7kW.

If you have 9kW electric shower and a car charging you could blow the ESB fuse so you'd need to get an electrician to look at it.

What you could do, since you are looking ahead is this:

- Put in a 32A capable cable from your distribution board (which will support 7kW) but then install a 16A charger which will only draw 3.3kW's.
    - If/When you get a 2nd EV you could tap another 16A EVSE off that same cable and then charge both cars together but they would both only be drawing 3.3kW... which should be fine over the 8hrs of night rate electricity.

Advertisement