Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NXT TakeOver: San Antonio

Options
  • 24-01-2017 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭

NXT_San_Antonio.png

The night before the Rumble, will NXT steal the thunder from the main roster, or will the main roster deliver something to rival it the night after.

Card is as follows.

Singles match
    Roderick Strong vs. Andrade "Cien" Almas

Singles match
    Eric Young vs. Tye Dillinger

Tag team match for the NXT Tag Team Championship
    DIY (Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa) (c) vs. The Authors of Pain (Rezar and Akam) (with Paul Ellering)

Fatal 4-Way match for the NXT Women's Championship
    Asuka (c) vs. Nikki Cross vs. Billie Kay vs. Peyton Royce

Singles match for the NXT Championship
    Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. "Glorious" Bobby Roode

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I'm sure it'll be a decent show but compared to previous cards it's not great. Is Joe injured or just waiting to be called up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Pentecost wrote: »
    I'm sure it'll be a decent show but compared to previous cards it's not great. Is Joe injured or just waiting to be called up?

Exactly my thoughts, with exception of themain event, im not expecting any stand out matches....just hope the crowd make up for it. Wikl be worth it alone to see Nak and Roodes entrance

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I wonder if the fatal four way is the WWEs way of getting the title off asuka for a main roster call up ? She could be not pinned and lose but still say she never lost.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Strong v Cien Almas/La Sombra could be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Is this the first time Takeover will be main evented by two dudes using their real names?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Not a great card but the main event should be whopper! What's Joe been up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Sirsok wrote: »
    Exactly my thoughts, with exception of themain event, im not expecting any stand out matches....just hope the crowd make up for it. Wikl be worth it alone to see Nak and Roodes entrance

Not convinced at all that the main event will be a standout match. Nakamura has managed to sleepwalk through almost an entire year of wrestling and Roode is fine but nothing more. As someone else said online, this might be Nakamura's toughest challenge yet as he wrestles a theme song.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Not convinced at all that the main event will be a standout match. Nakamura has managed to sleepwalk through almost an entire year of wrestling and Roode is fine but nothing more. As someone else said online, this might be Nakamura's toughest challenge yet as he wrestles a theme song.

Shinsuke has always sleptwalk even in new japan but he always brought everything to his big matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just remembered this is on tonight.

Nothing really jumps out at me, but I'm sure at some wil do great.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This is kicking off at 1am Irish time in case anyone is wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I wonder if the fatal four way is the WWEs way of getting the title off asuka for a main roster call up ? She could be not pinned and lose but still say she never lost.

She might be just what Raw needs to spice up the stale as fúck Women's division. Let her come in and squash Charlotte or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Awesome plagiarizing there AIG. You literally just wrote down word for word what Joe Lanza said on VOW this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Bobby Roodes "Glorious" entrance has to be one of the greatest entrances ever imo.

LeeJM wrote: »
    Awesome plagiarizing there AIG. You literally just wrote down word for word what Joe Lanza said on VOW this week.

You must have missed the bolded part.

Omackeral wrote: »
    You must have missed the bolded part.

Haha thanks, I couldn't remember who said it but I do know it was on my Twitter timeline thus I didn't take credit for it.

I know Lanza said it as a kind of jokey line but it does show that the standard of NXT has slipped when Roode, who is only over because of his theme, is headlining. The worry will be that Nakamura, in his year long comatose state, wont be able to drag anything more out of Roode than a distinctly average match.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I think it's unfair to say Roode is only over because of his theme song

Fair enough he's done nothing of real note in NXT, but the reason he has any hype behind him is because he's known from TNA, the theme song has just made him stand out more than say an Austin Aries or an Eric Young

His theme song on a homegrown NXT talent could have flopped completely

Roode has also played up to that theme, he carries himself like he is something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Exactly, the whole shebang with his entrance would only suit someone who is, well, glorious and knows it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

roode is good in the ring so i wouldnt be worried with the quality of match. im not expecting it to be great but it will be a good main event.

I think you'll see tonight lads in what'll probably have to be a long main event just how distinctly average Roode is. He's not bad, he's just nothing special. They could have given that theme and gimmick to about half a dozen guys in development and they'd be every bit as over as Roode is.

• Advertisement

I think you'll see tonight lads in what'll probably have to be a long main event just how distinctly average Roode is. He's not bad, he's just nothing special. They could have given that theme and gimmick to about half a dozen guys in development and they'd be every bit as over as Roode is.

Simply untrue. Imagine Steve Cutler with it. Nah.

Simply untrue. Imagine Steve Cutler with it. Nah.

Haha I'm not saying any random guy but, off the very top of my head, Dillinger or Aries would have done every bit as good (maybe better in Aries case) as Roode has done with it. My point is that the song is over, the over the top presentation of the gimmick is over, when that bell rings the wrestler behind the gimmick isn't over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Haha I'm not saying any random guy but, off the very top of my head, Dillinger or Aries would have done every bit as good (maybe better in Aries case) as Roode has done with it. My point is that the song is over, the over the top presentation of the gimmick is over, when that bell rings the wrestler behind the gimmick isn't over.

I've been saying the same thing since day one re: Austin Aries. The song suits him and his Greatest Man That Ever Lived persona even more than it does Bobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is Bobby Roode endorsed by Ric Flair or something as he wears a similar robe to the ring ???

Didn't Aj Styles wear a robe too for a short while in TNA ???

The OTT gimmick is over just as much because of how Bobby carries himself. He's believable in the role. Always found Roode to be extremely popular regardless of any extras anyway. From Beer Money to the IT Factor, whether heel or face, I'd say he was always over. I think you're being really harsh on him. He gets good heat and is well able to go in the ring too. To say he's not over is disingenuous, much the way people used to say the it was the YES chants that were over and not Daniel Bryan.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Is Bobby Roode endorsed by Ric Flair or something as he wears a similar robe to the ring ???

Didn't Aj Styles wear a robe too for a short while in TNA ???

Sure Ric Flair robbed the whole gimmick of Buddy Rogers, right down to the Nature Boy nickname.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sure Ric Flair robbed the whole gimmick of Buddy Rogers, right down to the Nature Boy nickname.

Ah ya he did the stealing baxtard

Great chance for Nigel, replacing Corey.

Can't believe how good Corey was for NXT after how poorly he was received as a wrestler. Will be missed but Nigel started very well in the UK tourney.

The OTT gimmick is over just as much because of how Bobby carries himself. He's believable in the role. Always found Roode to be extremely popular regardless of any extras anyway. From Beer Money to the IT Factor, whether heel or face, I'd say he was always over. I think you're being really harsh on him. He gets good heat and is well able to go in the ring too. To say he's not over is disingenuous, much the way people used to say the it was the YES chants that were over and not Daniel Bryan.

I don't want to sound like I'm being overly harsh on him, he's gotten a great gimmick that he can just step into and instantly be over. Would I say that he's the weakest NXT Takeover headliner ever? I'd say he's right up there with Bo Dallas for that particular honor. The comparison with Bryan is misleading, Bryan was a heel who was told to celebrate victories in an over the top and irritating manner, over the course of 18 months he went from that to being one of the most popular guys on the WWE roster in the last 10 years. His connection with fans certainly goes beyond chanting "yes" whereas I'm not at all sold that fans that cheer for Roode would do the same if "Glorious" were not his theme song. Daniel Bryan was the incredibly unlikely journey of one of the most naturally likeable wrestling personalities all the way to the top of the industry. Roode is a guy who probably reminds Triple H a bit of himself and who has lucked out in landing a ready-made gimmick that was almost impossible to fail in.

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »
    Great chance for Nigel, replacing Corey.

Can't believe how good Corey was for NXT after how poorly he was received as a wrestler. Will be missed but Nigel started very well in the UK tourney.

Delighted for Nigel.

Met him at an IWW show around 10 years ago and honestly the nicest wrestler I've ever met.
    Hope he does well.

Advertisement