Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RX480 8GB vs 1060 6GB

Options
  • 24-01-2017 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hey Guys,
    I am hoping to upgrade my 7970 graphics card this week, budget is about €300. I am looking into the RX480 and the 1060 but I am not sure what to go for. I mainly play Battlefield one, fallout 4 and a few other games like that. Would an RX480 be a better pick over the 1060? I really am not sure which way to go.
    Last time i bought parts I was using Hardwareversande, not sure where to be buying now, amazon? Scan.co.uk?

Any help is appreciated.

PC specs are:

i7 3770k
    16GB Corsair Vengenace
    Sapphire 7970 Vapor X
    850W Corsair Power Supply
    Cooler master 212 Evo Fan
    Windows 10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

RX480 has become the better card of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Cheers I have been leaning that way recently. What is the cheapest site to look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

skinflint.co.uk does comparisons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Have been eyeing up one of these for a few days. What is it makes the 480 better now?

Is the fact most games are optimised for Nvidia important? Only game I know of AMD optimised is Hitman.

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Have been eyeing up one of these for a few days. What is it makes the 480 better now?

Is the fact most games are optimised for Nvidia important? Only game I know of AMD optimised is Hitman.

At launch the 1060 was the better card. About a month after that AMD got a good driver release and twice since then the cards have seen marginal increases in performance. Now the majority of games would be in the 480's favour. Very few websites show this though, they tend to only really bench cards once at launch.

AMDs GCN architecture tends to be better orientated towards the future, as shown by the longevity of their cards and their performance affinity with current DX12 games. More vram will help with longevity as well.

For a past example, the 680 which was the competitor to the 7970(280x), beat its ass at the Nvidias launch 4 months after the AMD card. Battlefield 1 has the 7970 15% faster in BF1, on par with the 780, the next nvidia flagship card. This performance difference is most evident on newer games.

Nvidia optimisations are a bit of a long shot, they were a easy path for PC developers to implement handy features but DX12 is placing more of a onus on proper development and its mitigating that business model. So a fair number of developers seems to be going off of them, as they can gimp performance on AMD cards to the point where its just obviously deliberate. Project Cars would be a good example of this. Most gamers turn them off, since they gimp performance, even on older Nvidia cards too.

• Advertisement

At launch the 1060 was the better card. About a month after that AMD got a good driver release and twice since then the cards have seen marginal increases in performance. Now the majority of games would be in the 480's favour. Very few websites show this though, they tend to only really bench cards once at launch.

AMDs GCN architecture tends to be better orientated towards the future, as shown by the longevity of their cards and their performance affinity with current DX12 games. More vram will help with longevity as well.

For a past example, the 680 which was the competitor to the 7970(280x), beat its ass at the Nvidias launch 4 months after the AMD card. Battlefield 1 has the 7970 15% faster in BF1, on par with the 780, the next nvidia flagship card. This performance difference is most evident on newer games.

Nvidia optimisations are a bit of a long shot, they were a easy path for PC developers to implement handy features but DX12 is placing more of a onus on proper development and its mitigating that business model. So a fair number of developers seems to be going off of them, as they can gimp performance on AMD cards to the point where its just obviously deliberate. Project Cars would be a good example of this. Most gamers turn them off, since they gimp performance, even on older Nvidia cards too.

Cheers, good point on the websites, very few showed the 480 ahead of the 1060.

Can definitely vouch for the longevity, my own (7870) is entering it's fifth year of service now and not really showing any signs of slowing down. I could very easily justify a second build around it for the sitting room:D

It's good to see AMD get ahead a bit, hopefully Ryzen lives up to expectations!

Can't believe the most important reason, FreeSync. Gsync, while subjectively better, adds a large premium to monitors. FreeSync adds little to the price and is well worth the purchase scaling upwards on higher refresh rates or resolutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

I ignore that **** all games that are multi-platform are designed for AMD as AMD currently have the console market. then Nvidia gets their hands on the games try's to make them Nvidia Optimised and,  fvcks it up for everybody :pac: 

But even still my  7950 is pulling more of it wait since the recent dx12 introduction for the division with pretty decent settings i get about 56 fps....  AMD have really begun to shine through on there drivers, not to mention the fact they invested in architecture before improving their gpus which I think has given them an edge over Nvidia in some respects.

Would the Nitro version of Sapphire RX480 be worth the £40 premium for it on amazon over the standard version?

£199 seems reasonable enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Would the Nitro version of Sapphire RX480 be worth the £40 premium for it on amazon over the standard version?

£199 seems reasonable enough!

How do you by standard one. If you mean the reference model with the stock single fan blower then yes, but if it is a custom cooler model then I would be inclined to say no.

• Advertisement

How do you by standard one. If you mean the reference model with the stock single fan blower then yes, but if it is a custom cooler model then I would be inclined to say no.

Just looked closer at it yeah, the £199 is reference model.

Advertisement