Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outside sensor light staying on for ages

Options
  • 24-01-2017 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

I recently had a sensor led light installed at the back of my house over a flat roof. It keeps coming on and stays on for ages i.e. last night it stayed on all night.
    I went out on the roof tonight and amended the sensors...time,sensitivity etc. Its going off for a while now but still keeps coming back on and for long periods. I'd say it's driving the neighbours on that side mental and I want to avoid any trouble with them.
    I'm not sure whats triggering it. The bushes moving in the wind between the houses, the wind, whatever!

I put some black tap on half the sensor tonight to block out the bushes but it looks like it senses the tape and it just stayed on for the 5 minutes I was there so I took off the tape.

It was a cheap Lidl light like this
    http://www.lidl-service.com/static/69021150/93258_EN_FI_SV_DA.pdf

I'll be feked if I'm ringing an electrician to come out and look at it again.

Is there any quick fix to disable this (take off the sensor or will that mean the light stays on permanently?)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Make/model of sensor?

What is in the first foot of the sensor range? The light, for example; is it in range of the sensor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I've given a link to the sensor above.

The light is about 4ft or so above the flat roof. And the sensor is attached to the light, below it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

jay0109 wrote: »

This is the problem. These cheap lights with built in sensors are notorious for the issues you have mentioned. You would have been much better off with a separate sensor and light.

It is possible to bypass the sensor by rewiring the junction box behind the light. Is the light on a switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭worded

Some sensor lights don't like to be powered on and off from the main quickly when resetting them.

Wait a minute before you power it on iff you off it from the fuse box

There is a good brand of seperat sensor but then and escapes me right now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭worded

O

Strinel are the dogs. If poss use a seperate sensor but I'm sure the new LED ones will be ok. Check amazon reviews on then

Go to amazon or an elec wholesaler or

http://ie.xxl-sale.com/search/?q=Steinel&campid=5337249842&gclid=CIH8jMWN3NECFeKd7QodMeUFVA

• Advertisement

No switch on the light. Wired directly through the attic.
    I have 2 others- on the side and front of the house- and they work perfectly.

I know nothing about electrics and won't touch the wiring.
    And I wouldn't have a clue on the main fuse board as to what to hit to turn it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

jay0109 wrote: »
    No switch on the light. Wired directly through the attic.
    I have 2 others- on the side and front of the house- and they work perfectly.

I know nothing about electrics and won't touch the wiring.
    And I wouldn't have a clue on the main fuse board as to what to hit to turn it off!

Looks like you might not have a choice in getting the electrician back. It's either that or just take the bulb out and forget about it.

The bulb out might be the easiest way
    cheers

Advertisement