Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cards n Things SQ SC - gone.

Options
  • 24-01-2017 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

I see their gone and JD sports will be moving in there.

I think they will be a missed in giving an overall balance to shopping choices there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

From what I heard, the new owners of City Square want big retail areas with big retail names. In their eyes - Cards n' Things wasn't big for them, so they happily let JD Sports merge into their store.
    They didn't offer Cards n' Things any other area in the centre, even though there are numerous empty buildings. CnT even inquired about taking the Burger King unit (as that will be moving upstairs to the new food market), but it was a no.
    Disappointing as it was a nice store, may have lost its way in recent years, but before the recession hit - the place would be absolutely packed on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

The whole centre is getting a makeover, with small units being closed and merged to create bigger units. You can see at the Burger King entrance from Peter Street that all the units next to the Brasserie are to be demolished. Not a cent was spent on City Square for years so a bit of investment to create something new is welcome I suppose. Be nice if its all done for next Christmas.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The next unit closing in Edinburgh Woollen Mills, they will be closing in early feb and that unit along with the one next to it, the old Specsavers unit are also being merged into one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Jaysus it'll turn out like McDonagh in Kilkenny. Big building but absolutely nothing in it because it's less shops just bigger units for existing retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sully wrote: »
    Jaysus it'll turn out like McDonagh in Kilkenny. Big building but absolutely nothing in it because it's less shops just bigger units for existing retailers.

bigger is always better yea know!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    bigger is always better yea know!:rolleyes:

Well to be fair, City Square couldn't be much worse.

Do we know if they have anyone to go into their new big unit when it's built where brasserie was? Heard H&M before, unsure though it's a given

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

There are a few spots suitable for a shops like them. Are they going to re open?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

Could we do with an Easons in the complex?
    I like the idea of an Easons there, but if it took a large portion of business from the Book Center, I think we could do without.

Could we do with an Easons in the complex?
    I like the idea of an Easons there, but if it took a large portion of business from the Book Center, I think we could do without.

I believe that Eason has a book deal with The Book Centre, wherby they supply all their books. There would be of little benefit to them then to open a shop in direct opposition to a store whom they supply books to.
    Wouldn't stop any other book shop from opening though, or a decent newsagent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Given Easons and the other book shop in Dungarvan (largely school ones) are both operate if they did open in Waterford they should do just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

iseegirls wrote: »
    Do we know if they have anyone to go into their new big unit when it's built where brasserie was? Heard H&M before, unsure though it's a given

Still strong talk to H&M in the front of the new look centre, encompassing the former Brasserie part

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Given Easons and the other book shop in Dungarvan (largely school ones) are both operate if they did open in Waterford they should do just fine.

I'm amazed that Waterford city doesn't already have an Easons shop considering many much smaller towns across the country have one.

ongarboy wrote: »
    I'm amazed that Waterford city doesn't already have an Easons shop considering many much smaller towns across the country have one.

rather see a local operator to be honest but id say its a risky enough venture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Again as said above Easons have a deal with the book center, therefore no need for them to come into Waterford, and if they did and the book center went with another supplier, locals would probably still choose the book center over easons.

In the end then they would probably close down and their deal with the book center would be gone.

Too risky for them, and pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭goochy

remember a lot of easons are franchises and would say fit out costs are high

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

The book centre is twice as good as most easons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i'd love to see Golden Discs get a bigger store in City Square. Failing that a store that would offer some competition for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

johndoe99 wrote: »
    i'd love to see Golden Discs get a bigger store in City Square. Failing that a store that would offer some competition for them.

I'd imagine the market for purchasing physical music or film product declines more and more with each passing year as the majority now increasingly stream or download or simply buy such product much cheaper online so I can't see such stores expanding with physical bricks and mortar shops. HMV has all but disappeared globally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I'd imagine the market for purchasing physical music or film product declines more and more with each passing year as the majority now increasingly stream or download or simply buy such product much cheaper online so I can't see such stores expanding with physical bricks and mortar shops. HMV has all but disappeared globally.

Growing demand for vinyls though

• Advertisement

Burger King closed unannounced it seems, seeing the staff knew nothing about it until they arrived into work this morning and receiving their notice. On the News & Star Facebook page.

Must be more to it I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

iseegirls wrote: »
    Burger King closed unannounced it seems, seeing the staff knew nothing about it until they arrived into work this morning and receiving their notice. On the News & Star Facebook page.

Must be more to it I'd say.

Very surprised at this and anytime I'd passed there it was at most 55% full the whole time, it was located in the perfect area. I wonder what will happen now as regards food places in the redevelopment of the shopping centre ???

Would love a food court with a wide selection similar too the shopping center in newbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Yeah, it was weird. Fella at work said the place was open and someone arrived in and asked everyone to leave and shut the doors. Looks like they were very quick to take down all the signs and everything in the windows. Even the door handles were removed when I passed by in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Would love a food court with a wide selection similar too the shopping center in newbridge

There is some sort of food court going in upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Very surprised at this and anytime I'd passed there it was at most 55% full the whole time, it was located in the perfect area. I wonder what will happen now as regards food places in the redevelopment of the shopping centre ???

That's what you'll have in city sq before year end

JohnC. wrote: »
    Yeah, it was weird. Fella at work said the place was open and someone arrived in and asked everyone to leave and shut the doors. Looks like they were very quick to take down all the signs and everything in the windows. Even the door handles were removed when I passed by in the afternoon.

sounds like bailiffs

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Nooooooo,no mo double bacon cheeseburger!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

burger king are probably focusing more on the service station market. I wouldnt be surprised to see another Applegreen garage popping up in Waterford and a big burger king in it, Leo Hartes old petrol station site would be perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

dzilla wrote: »
    burger king are probably focusing more on the service station market. I wouldnt be surprised to see another Applegreen garage popping up in Waterford and a big burger king in it, Leo Hartes old petrol station site would be perfect

Wheres Leo Hartes old station?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

It was an ESSO station on the Tramore Rd by Pierce Hire, it closed in the early nineties I think

https://goo.gl/maps/aDeq9cMXPJE2

Advertisement