Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cards n Things SQ SC - gone.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

shockwave wrote: »
    It was an ESSO station on the Tramore Rd by Pierce Hire, it closed in the early nineties I think

https://goo.gl/maps/aDeq9cMXPJE2

Ah yeah i was thinking that was it,great location but maybe not big enough for applegreen and burger king

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

It was an ESSO station on the Tramore Rd by Pierce Hire, it closed in the early nineties I think

No,it was still open in the early noughties..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

No,it was still open in the early noughties..

Closed in September 2005.

The plan was for a drive through Supermacs there in 2006 so probably a suitable size

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Burger King franchise operator OKR Group put out a statement about the closure.
    It is with regret that Burger King announce the closure of its unit in the City Square, SC in Waterford.

This closure is due to the expiry of our lease, as the landlord is redeveloping the unit occupied by Burger King.

We would like to thank our staff and customers for their support and loyalty over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

JohnC. wrote: »
    Burger King franchise operator OKR Group put out a statement about the closure.

I still find that very odd, no notice of closure, just went in and closed within a couple of hours during a business day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I noticed Bookstation will be opening in the combined former Edinburgh Woolen Mills/Specsavers. I see they do books and stationary, but do they do papers and the like that Cards and Things used to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Wonder were Cards'n'Things even given the option of that move to that part?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

iseegirls wrote: »
    Wonder were Cards'n'Things even given the option of that move to that part?

or they were told they were coming and decided to cut their losses now rather than lather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

JohnC. wrote: »
    I noticed Bookstation will be opening in the combined former Edinburgh Woolen Mills/Specsavers. I see they do books and stationary, but do they do papers and the like that Cards and Things used to?

Never heard of bookstation, is that a franchise, moving from somewhere else in city or is it just a new shop, could it be same people as cards and things?

....Just checked, they're all around country.Good to see it anyway, yesterday they saying chopped restaurant o opening too. Also heard mclearys opening up another place in the morriss extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I wish Babestation would set up there :)

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    or they were told they were coming and decided to cut their losses now rather than lather.

From when I talked to the staff in CnT at the time, they said the management were searching for other units in City Square, but CS were not giving them any unit to move into.

Could be one side of the story there now, so could be seen that CS knew Bookstation were coming - and made sure CnT were gone. Or CnT management just didn't want to relocate and close up.

The rent for that unit was astronomical at the time: http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/us-fund-pays-21m-for-waterford-s-city-square-1.2218404
    The highest contracted rent of €258,250 was agreed by stationer Cards 'n Things but has been abated to €160,000.

Can't believe they managed to pay that rent and the staff and other bills by selling cards, magazines and books.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Can't believe they managed to pay that rent and the staff and other bills by selling cards, magazines and books.

Somehow I can actually. Were you ever in there when there wasn't a queue? I don't know how much retailers are paid per Lotto ticket, but they seemed to do a roaring trade in those alone.

fricatus wrote: »
    Were you ever in there when there wasn't a queue?

I can actually, because I worked there for my sins for few years when in college
    In the boom, the place was great (as were all shops), recession hit and apart from Saturday afternoon - the place was dead. They had moves of tills, magazines, books, stationary changed several times. Books were being replaced by rubbish in the center of the shop. The sweets selected was reduced (it used to wrap itself around the tills in the middle). Fresh icecream cones gone because they couldn't afford to fix the machine.

Unsure regarding how much money was made off lotto, but there are good margins for cards. But with the recession came more pound/euro stores, dealz, Mr price which sell cards so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I can actually, because I worked there for my sins for few years when in college
    In the boom, the place was great (as were all shops), recession hit and apart from Saturday afternoon - the place was dead. They had moves of tills, magazines, books, stationary changed several times. Books were being replaced by rubbish in the center of the shop. The sweets selected was reduced (it used to wrap itself around the tills in the middle). Fresh icecream cones gone because they couldn't afford to fix the machine.

Unsure regarding how much money was made off lotto, but there are good margins for cards. But with the recession came more pound/euro stores, dealz, Mr price which sell cards so cheap.

Was the money good there? I'm sure it would be ok for a student or part time but there were a few heads down there that were permanent so I figured the money cant be so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Not from Waterford but have knowedge of commercial property dealings there.

JD wanted bigger store, Card n things were happy to vacate as the market for magazines, papers and confectionery has changed over the years and they were no longer trading profitably at that location. Retail commission on lottery is 5% - nice, but there are many costs too including extra security, cost of cash lodgements etc. so not as lucrative as you may think.

Combined rent of two stores is actually lower than what the centre was getting as two seperate stores, (details available on commercial lease register) but shopping centres are very much looking at an overall picture rather than just one or two leases.

Bookstation only started looking when they heard CnT were going and have taken a 15 year lease. CnT and bookstation have no connection, but owner of CnT has an interest/shareholding in Homestore and More and that's where his energies are focussed on. Bookstation have about 15 stores around Ireland.

4-5 food offerings will be in a new foodcourt there. Not certain, but probably the Burger King will be one of those.

One of the new main units has been tentatively agreed with a major fashion retailer. The centre is also looking at merging a couple of other smaller units to make for one larger unit.

Currently there are several retailers looking to move into Waterford city, but there's a distinct lack of quality retail space with any units available either far too small or in poor structural condition.

Nice one ceiling fly...Good info there, fair play...we 've been hearing that for years about lack of suitable units...hopefully planned building starts on that soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

At a guess I would say there are about 15 major Irish and international retailers looking for immediate space in Waterford City. (within next 12-18 months) I'm working in the background with one and they hope to agree terms soon on a unit to open in late summer. They wanted to open in March, but absolutely nothing was available that suited.

Most of the retailers who are looking need 250 sqm+ of space and many want 400sqm as they have a "planogram" they need to follow, many will simply wait until the new developments at city square & michael street are available.

The Christmas and Summer festivals have been one of the drivers in getting Waterford on the "watch list", hence its very much city centre focussed demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Currently there are several retailers looking to move into Waterford city, but there's a distinct lack of quality retail space with any units available either far too small or in poor structural condition.

As far as you can tell are these companies seeking city centre locales specifically or are they just after the right property anywhere within the ring road?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Max Powers wrote: »
    Never heard of bookstation, is that a franchise, moving from somewhere else in city or is it just a new shop, could it be same people as cards and things?

....Just checked, they're all around country.Good to see it anyway, yesterday they saying chopped restaurant o opening too. Also heard mclearys opening up another place in the morriss extension.

Chopped?? Please say that is a definite!

Also, mclearys opening in the morris's extension - mclearys the restaurant? in the hardware store's extension? Am I thinking of the right places?
    At a guess I would say there are about 15 major Irish and international retailers looking for immediate space in Waterford City. (within next 12-18 months) I'm working in the background with one and they hope to agree terms soon on a unit to open in late summer. They wanted to open in March, but absolutely nothing was available that suited.

Most of the retailers who are looking need 250 sqm+ of space and many want 400sqm as they have a "planogram" they need to follow, many will simply wait until the new developments at city square & michael street are available.

The Christmas and Summer festivals have been one of the drivers in getting Waterford on the "watch list", hence its very much city centre focussed demand.

Any chance any of these lads fancy going a few kms over the bridge...? :p

erica74 wrote: »

Yes, this is a definite. Was in the media yesterday. No idea where though in Waterford.

• Advertisement

Also, mclearys opening in the morris's extension - mclearys the restaurant? in the hardware store's extension? Am I thinking of the right places?

https://www.facebook.com/mclearysrestaurant/posts/1336169573073118

http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/109163-chopped-the-healthy-food-company-is-to-open-in-waterford.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Thanks!

I thought that was an extension to Morris's. Is it going to be a more casual setting than their original restaurant? I'm not on facebook so not sure if they've given details on their facebook page.

Is it not a bit strange having a restaurant out the front of a hardware shop? It's great but just seems a strange combination?

Thanks!

I thought that was an extension to Morris's. Is it going to be a more casual setting than their original restaurant? I'm not on facebook so not sure if they've given details on their facebook page.

Is it not a bit strange having a restaurant out the front of a hardware shop? It's great but just seems a strange combination?

Yeah, heard more causal, breakfast and lunch place possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Great to hear that there's such demand there. We just need to capitalise on it.

It amazes me the number of people who think that just because there are a few scattered empty small units around the place, no large retailer could possibly want to come here. I don't think they get the whole idea that we need to have a turnover of suitably sized units. I would guess that once we start seeing larger retailers coming into both locations you mentioned above, that smaller retailers will take up a lot of the smaller units, because they'll benefit from the footfall generated by the big ones.

The centre at Michael St can't open soon enough...

Very interesting. I would have thought purely demographics/drivetime population would have been the driver, but it goes to show that cultural attractions and events have an importance that goes beyond their immediate appeal.

Looking forward to hearing more from you CeilingFly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Max Powers wrote: »
    Yeah, heard more causal, breakfast and lunch place possibly.

Where are all the 'knockers'/negative/bitter lemon type posters gone.....can't believe that at least one of them hasn't launched their negative spin to the latter part of this thread......looks like the saudis may know whAt they are at.....😀

Thanks!

I think its going to be a cafe ,not really strange Morris's is more than a hardware shop these days, you can buy anything from washing powder to TV's and its a great location with parking i think it will do really well there.

fricatus wrote: »

Very interesting. I would have thought purely demographics/drivetime population would have been the driver, but it goes to show that cultural attractions and events have an importance that goes beyond their immediate appeal.

Soft power, it's why Galway is so "happening" even if it is an overrated, overcrowded commuter hell hole. They have got the whole "culture" malarkey down to a tee - even if it can go horribly wrong (see the arty cinema fiasco)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Soft power, it's why Galway is so "happening" even if it is an overrated, overcrowded commuter hell hole. They have got the whole "culture" malarkey down to a tee - even if it can go horribly wrong (see the arty cinema fiasco)

Same can be said for 'Killarney'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

All we need now is for Wetherspoons to get the finger out, I can leave herself do the shopping once all these fancy shops start opening!

• Advertisement

Kilkenny also does quite well in this regard. Perception is king, and Waterford conjures up docks, disputes, closures rather than much that is attractive. I could actually go on quite a rant about how Waterford City council (RIP?) failed and failed utterly to sell the City during it's existence.

Advertisement