Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cards n Things SQ SC - gone.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Soft power, it's why Galway is so "happening" even if it is an overrated, overcrowded commuter hell hole. They have got the whole "culture" malarkey down to a tee - even if it can go horribly wrong (see the arty cinema fiasco)

Don't fully agree with your Galway opinion there but definitely, festivals, arts, music scene, attitude and feel of the city matter...no one invests in a negative person, same goes for city.

Kilkenny also does quite well in this regard. Perception is king, and Waterford conjures up docks, disputes, closures rather than much that is attractive. I could actually go on quite a rant about how Waterford City council (RIP?) failed and failed utterly to sell the City during it's existence.

To be fair Harry, the council have done nothing but push the city last few years...winter val is relatively new festival,, continuing support for other fantastic festivals, urban renewal on now, involved in pushing north quay and Michael street,, the Viking triangle, integral in getting Waterford Crystal back into city, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pfffffft, I remain to be impressed I'm afraid. They've arrived with their Powerpoint presentations and PR packs about 20 years too late. (and Google probably still has us as Waterford, Kilkenny :pac:).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Max Powers wrote: »
    To be fair Harry, the council have done nothing but push the city last few years...winter val is relatively new festival,, continuing support for other fantastic festivals, urban renewal on now, involved in pushing north quay and Michael street,, the Viking triangle, integral in getting Waterford Crystal back into city, etc

They also engineered a hideously impractical traffic flow system to the quays and all over Waterford City. Of course, none of the Council or engineering staff live near those streets therefore it doesn't affect them and they can do what they like. They have WAY too much power.

They also engineered a hideously impractical traffic flow system to the quays and all over Waterford City. Of course, none of the Council or engineering staff live near those streets therefore it doesn't affect them and they can do what they like. They have WAY too much power.

You're blaming them for streets leading to quays?,aren't the streets like that for centuries.I think the quay is vastly improved to way it was years ago.
    The stuff you write about staff is complete baseless nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Yeah, heard more causal, breakfast and lunch place possibly.

Ah that makes sense.

Very excited about all these new spots - more of a food person than a drinker :D

I'm not a fan of the set up on the quays, particularly since they reopened that median at the bottom of Conduit Lane to allow traffic turning right to cross both lanes of traffic onto the quays - lots of hold ups there again now.

erica74 wrote: »
    Ah that makes sense.

Very excited about all these new spots - more of a food person than a drinker :D

I'm not a fan of the set up on the quays, particularly since they reopened that median at the bottom of Conduit Lane to allow traffic turning right to cross both lanes of traffic onto the quays - lots of hold ups there again now.

Totally agree, should be left turn only, makes sense, close it and people will have something to give out about, you can't win with some

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Who do you give the 'power to'. Punters like you?. There are alternatives to Taking the R680/old n25 through town (which included the quay), why any locals (unless they have business on it) continue to use the quay as If it is still a main thoroughfare is beyond me. Those who know there way around waterford should have the sense not to head along the quays if their ultimate destination is dublin/new Ross even ferrybank. Those on it (apart from people going to shop and park on it and those who own and operate businesses there ) should be predominantly tourists.

Totally agree, should be left turn only, makes sense, close it and people will have something to give out about, you can't win with some

Think this is only a temporary set up whilst works are going on around town i.e. The numerous diversions/roads closed to facilitate works in apple market and waterside etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

You're blaming them for streets leading to quays?,aren't the streets like that for centuries.I think the quay is vastly improved to way it was years ago.
    The stuff you write about staff is complete baseless nonsense.

Nope. The staff in Waterford City Council including the engineers are safely cocooned outside of the City so its fine for them to rip up the Quay making it next to impossible to traverse through it quickly, then they wanted to dump the car park facilities for Dunphys shop on Cork Road and they are in business for yonks. As far as I know (thankfully), people power and objections put an end to that. They seem to think they can rip the whole city up and the worst thing about them is they are accountable to NOBODY. What happens if you have a complaint against the Council? Absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement

Nope. The staff in Waterford City Council including the engineers are safely cocooned outside of the City so its fine for them to rip up the Quay making it next to impossible to traverse through it quickly, then they wanted to dump the car park facilities for Dunphys shop on Cork Road and they are in business for yonks. As far as I know (thankfully), people power and objections put an end to that. They seem to think they can rip the whole city up and the worst thing about them is they are accountable to NOBODY. What happens if you have a complaint against the Council? Absolutely nothing.

One question: there must be a good few roads engineers in the city council, how do you know they all live outside the city?....you don't that's why its nonsense.
    You also contradict yourself because you 're right, people power can change decisions, complaints can be made and changes made, accountability to public and councillors too.the only problem with that is the public's complaints/submissions might be selfish or not good for greater good, still though,I wouldn't really want to change option for public input.

So we should let the ordinary punter off with a blank canvas and decide what is best for the city wrt traffic management/flows etc. I do know that there is s process that the council engineers go through before any significant changes r made.....I've seen adverts for public displays of proposed changes etc. And it's much easier these days to get access to these 'displays etc' via the internet.....it's at this stage you and your ilk can air your grievances and not just before the physical work acutually starts which is the norm....as max mentioned above people much too often have myopic and selfish 'nimby-ism' type views and don't want to or can't appreciate that sometimes people in 'power' may actually have a brain cell or two and do something for the 'greater good'......rant over.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

its fine for them to rip up the Quay making it next to impossible to traverse through it quickly

Are you saying this was possible at peak times before?

Off-peak, it's still fine.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Are you saying this was possible at peak times before?

Off-peak, it's still fine.

Wanderer tends to wander alright. What is the obsession with the quay and wanting to be able to drive through it at 40/50kph?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Think this is only a temporary set up whilst works are going on around town i.e. The numerous diversions/roads closed to facilitate works in apple market and waterside etc

Oh hopefully that is the case

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Huge delays getting onto the quays from Arundel Square / City Square area. Personally found it quicker to go left when leaving the car park, pop down onto the roundabout on the quays and it's a lot faster.

Good to see the need JD Sports. Much better, very spacious and plenty more on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

When you have the national media berate the road planners in Waterford for the perceived traffic mess in recent years it doesn't show Waterford in a positive light.

deisemum wrote: »
    When you have the national media berate the road planners in Waterford for the perceived traffic mess in recent years it doesn't show Waterford in a positive light.

Waterford in general doesn't have bad traffic...recent aa study showed that, worse in all other cities and sligo.what we do have, not unique here, drivers who get upset if they are slowed down, waiting, alterations made to their usual route.

Waterford in general doesn't have bad traffic...recent aa study showed that, worse in all other cities and sligo.what we do have, not unique here, drivers who get upset if they are slowed down, waiting, alterations made to their usual route.

I would agree. Compared to most urban areas we get away lightly. People expect free flowing 30/40 kph speeds during peak times

Not sure what this has to do with Cards and Things but hey if we're talking roads - there is so much space to turn the Williamstown road to Dunmore East road section of the ring road into a (slightly narrow) four lane road. You've got verges on either side about 1.5 metres wide, plus pavements of similar width and then a bit of grass beyond much of the way. The outer verge could be taken in, the pavement narrowed a bit and then redraw the existing lane widths, even if the max speed limit was just 30 km/h it would still be big improvement on what there is now at peak times as the traffic would move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Came into the city yesterday and outside a chemist, fast food, Argos and pound shops everywhere was closed. It was pretty busy and most were surprised so few places were opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

Not sure what this has to do with Cards and Things but hey if we're talking roads - there is so much space to turn the Williamstown road to Dunmore East road section of the ring road into a (slightly narrow) four lane road. You've got verges on either side about 1.5 metres wide, plus pavements of similar width and then a bit of grass beyond much of the way. The outer verge could be taken in, the pavement narrowed a bit and then redraw the existing lane widths, even if the max speed limit was just 30 km/h it would still be big improvement on what there is now at peak times as the traffic would move.

None of that would work, it's all about junction capacity not road capacity. All you would have is 4 lanes of peak traffic hitting a junction and stuffing it up.

Plus, think of the cost / benefit, the cost of the works would be huge, would cause massive disruption and diminish the safety of the road. All so peak time commuters can save maybe 5 min of their journey

Well there is the WUH to think about as well, two lanes would allow filtering of traffic when it needs to get out of the way - I take the point on junctions - the Tesco/Williamstown centre roundabout is tight and slow and annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Came into the city yesterday and outside a chemist, fast food, Argos and pound shops everywhere was closed. It was pretty busy and most were surprised so few places were opened.

It was Easter Sunday though, so I'm unsure what you were expecting. You'll find it like that in every city in Ireland. Aldi, Lidl, most of Tesco's closed too among the big supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

iseegirls wrote:
    It was Easter Sunday though, so I'm unsure what you were expecting. You'll find it like that in every city in Ireland. Aldi, Lidl, most of Tesco's closed too among the big supermarkets.

Exactly, Supervalu was the only supermarket open yesterday. Easter Sunday is still marked and most shops and businesses will stay closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

People seem to have a hard time remembering these things. There's still people getting caught by surprise when learning that supermarkets and other shops open on Good Friday when it's been decades since closing was the norm.

Advertisement