Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fitting a double socket in old shed

Options
  • 24-01-2017 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

ok only have lighting in shed and think the electric cable is 1.5, would it be ok to put a junction box in here and take a power down the wall to my socket or would I need larger wire, only be using it to run a 1100w angle and drill and occasionally a space heater

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I'd imagine it would need it's own circuit as that might be too much of a load on the lights circuit. I think the sockets need 2.5 t&e cable to be on the safe side.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

LeoHughes wrote: »
    ok only have lighting in shed and think the electric cable is 1.5, would it be ok to put a junction box in here and take a power down the wall to my socket

That would be unwise for a number of reasons and against regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭LeoHughes

2011 wrote: »

would you burn out power tools quickly then too

• Registered Users Posts: 21 areidy

In the shed in my place they had it wired with 1.5mm, lights & sockets run off it etc.. Over the last 3 years I've been using it with power tools, compressor etc... Not ideal as the amps you can draw on this cable will be lower so 'may' affect some tools. Biggest thing is that the cable could burn before the MCB trips:( Saying that i never had any issues but I was a leccy in a past life so didn't overload it too much. Once you know the risks and you're ok taking them it's all good. Just don't leave anything plugged in over night;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

2011 wrote:

Agreed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

areidy wrote: »
    Saying that i never had any issues but I was a leccy in a past life so didn't overload it too much.

This is wrong on so many levels.
    Saying that nothing has happened yet is meaningless.
    How do you intend on assessing whether the circuit is overloaded and how much overloading is "too much" ?
    Once you know the risks and you're ok taking them it's all good.

No offence intended, but clearly you don't understand the risks or how to quantify them.

Wiring a circuit so that it will "work" is generally relatively simple, the trick is to get it to work safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

LeoHughes wrote: »
    would you burn out power tools quickly then too

Probably not but you could burn your shed or house down depending on where the cable heats up from being overloaded.

Advertisement