Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inishbofin Half Marathon / 10k - May 13th, 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

No, but it's one I'll get around to eventually (I hope). Inishbofin is a beautiful place to visit (and to run!) but don't dream of even trying for a PB in this, just go over and enjoy it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What makes you say that? :P Haven't been out that way before. Seems that just 160 people live there. How's the studying going?

What makes you say that? :P Haven't been out that way before. Seems that just 160 people live there. How's the studying going?

Experience of visiting and running there the last three summers ;)
    SIL is getting married there this year. Needless to say, I'll have the runners with me for that trip as well :)
    It really is worth the journey. My DCM 2016 training began there too. Good times, although the hill sprints were unreal.

Not sure if the route has changed, but it should be something like the following.

Start is outside Doonmore Hotel (Murray's) where you run along a flattish section for 1/4 mile before you start on a 6k clockwise loop. This begins with a long steep drag up to the highest point on the course just after the school. From there it's a short flat section through a few houses and then it's up, down and all around, with just two short flat sections along the East End beach and the harbour. Just before the end of the third loop, you go up Heartbreak Hill, past the community centre and up to the highest point of the course again, finishing at the Dolphin House Hotel.

They usually have an upper limit of 80-100 entrants. If you do go, enjoy the views and don't push too hard too early. I can only imagine having to race two more of those laps being in a heap after one. Oh and watch out for angry dogs :O

Studying's on a brief hiatus this week. Assignments are in, so I'm going to relax and get a couple of runs in before the Raheny 5. Next week I'll have to start hitting the books properly....

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

How did I not know this was a thing??

I am originally form Clifden town - which inishbofin Island is just off. Must have a look into that

Be very interested in doing it - its lovely!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

ToriV wrote: »
    How did I not know this was a thing??

'Cos, like me, you're from the internet? :pac:

Booked a place on the 10k. :cool:

• Advertisement

Nice one! I'm particularly looking forward to reading about these exploits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

'Cos, like me, you're from the internet? :pac:

Booked a place on the 10k. :cool:
    Haha! True!

Brilliant.... really considering the half. Hmm.... it's a fab place...even in the worst of weather.

Accommodation booked. :)

I asked about mileage markers and got this response.
    Yes, there are markers every mile for the half marathon and every km for the 10k. There are several manned water stations along the route too.

6 days to go.

Absolutely beautiful here.

• Advertisement

Fair play! Presume you're getting the good weather and all? Best of luck tomorrow. Report as well please :D

Fine morning here. I'd say the Half lads have their work cut out for them. They start at 10. Looking forward to the least packed start line I've ever been on. 10k starts at 11. Heading to breakfast shortly. Sleep was poor (pattern of the week).

Finding the boards Android app a bit arsey for navigating to subforums.

Talk later!

My watch says 54:31:34. Very happy with that, tbh. No chipped numbers or mats here, didn't look at the display clock as I was coming in. Man with the clipboard said 54 and a half, so could be a little either side of that.

Loved it. Loved the course and location. Gave it socks for the final 2-3km and started picking people off.

6:16 miles, at 8:51 average

Mile 1: 9:55mi
    Mile 2: 8:36mi
    Mile 3: 9:36mi
    Mile 4: 9:26mi
    Mile 5: 8:40mi
    Mile 6: 7:21mi
    Final 0.16: 5:49mi

Would highly recommend. Glad to have had the 14 weeks/650km training under my belt.

No angry dogs!

Advertisement