Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player Blocked

Options
  • 24-01-2017 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

Issue: RTE Player blocks playback due to "adblock software installed", even when no adblock is installed.

Setup: Windows 7 desktop tethered to mobile phone hotspot. Adblock installed on phone. Using Opera and Firefox browser.

So, can't get RTE player to work on my desktop. I have disabled all adblock addons and tried on multiple browsers that don't have any plugins at all. Also disabled Adblock on smartphone. The player works fine when run on my smartphone.

When I use http://ads-blocker.com/testing/ to check I can see that nothing is blocking adds. Strangly though, someting is at least partially, because on google search page I see no adds.

So something on my PC is at least partially blocking adds. And it doesn't seem to be a browser issue. No idea what it could be. Any ideas, I'm stumped.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭SkinnyBuddha

I had an issue ages ago where it needs flashplayer but doesn't mention this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

What antivirus / antimalware programs do you have installed?

Very odd issue all right if you're disabling adblocking for RTÉ.

Is there any program installed on the Win 7 machine that blocks ads apart from the browsers (check the control panel).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

me_irl wrote: »
    What antivirus / antimalware programs do you have installed?

Very odd issue all right if you're disabling adblocking for RTÉ.

Is there any program installed on the Win 7 machine that blocks ads apart from the browsers (check the control panel).

I never use antivirus or antimalware programs. I do a windows defender manual scan from time to time but nothing that's always active.

I've looked through my installed program list and task manager and can't see anything that would block adds.

Edit: I have a dual boot system with Win 10 on the other partition that I hardly ever use, very few programs installed and I get the same issue on that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I'm in the same boat, Microsoft Edge with nothing installed.

Just curious, are you trying to access the Player through Three's network?

The player stopped working about a year back, just no luck getting anything playing. Windows 10 minimal software, I do have CCleaner and some other 'passive' cleaners, but nothing active.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I'm assuming you are all using the standard RTE player?

Are you getting the same results if you use the RTE XL Player?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Never seen the XL version before! Tried it with Chrome with uBlock Origin and it works fine. But normal player won't work - gives adblocker error.

Could be a good one to keep in the favourites ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭Nollog

I had this problem. I had to delete rte's cookie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Why would anyone want to use RTE player?

It's shïte :D

Amalgam wrote: »
    I
    Just curious, are you trying to access the Player through Three's network?

Yeah I am but I don't think that has anything to do with it although I did think it might. It works on my tablet tethered to my smartphone so I can't see how 3 could have blocked it to my desktop but not to my tablet. Although it's curious your having the same problem and are on 3 too !

Trust Gadgetman to fix the problem ! Thanks !!!!!

I don't even want to know why the standard one doesn't work. I spent hours experimenting different things to solve to problem and absolutely no mention of the problem in the Player FAQ's !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If you are using Ublock make sure you subscribe to the Adblock warning removal lists:
    408051.png

Advertisement