Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for Gym Newbie

• 25-01-2017 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5 newnoob

So I've decided to bite the bullet and join a gym- the glenroyal in maynooth- and I'm looking for advice. I've suffered from anxiety and I am still dealing with it and this is causing me a good deal of worry. I know absolutely nothing about the gym but I've been reading a lot about training but so far nothing has taught me about gym etiquette? Do I need to bring a towel or is that just for people who sweat loads? Do I sit down to rest between sets or should I walk? Are the showers communal? (a big worry for me) Are there any clothing faux pas? I'm probably over thinking this but thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

Hey!! A fellow sufferer of anxiety, especially in new situations, I'm also excited about joining a gym! I'm mostly afraid of not knowing how to use the equipment. Or where to go, how to start, yes it's something I'd love to have someone hold my hand and walk me through! Hopefully people here can help us both out.

Always bring a hand towel and wipe equipment after yourself even if you don't "sweat loads". Showers are cubicles. Sit between sets if you prefer, i usually do
    Ask for a gym tour/induction and have a good look around when you do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JSweeney1982

Hi. Gyms sometimes get a bad rep but most of them are fine and the people in them are friendly and keep themselves to themselves. If this is your first time I would definitely ask an instructor for a demo of the equipment. They will be more than happy to show you as its their job. Also most gyms run classes and if this one does I would suggest trying a class after a while as they can actually be enjoyable and you will get talked through what to do in each class. Gym wear - just make sure your training gear is comfortable for you forget what everyone else is wearing and definitely bring a small sweat towel with you to wipe down equipment after use. Goodluck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭cmyk

newnoob wrote: »
    So I've decided to bite the bullet and join a gym- the glenroyal in maynooth- and I'm looking for advice. I've suffered from anxiety and I am still dealing with it and this is causing me a good deal of worry.

Hopefully that'll subside and your confidence will grow with each visit. If you can afford it, then a session with a good personal trainer or instructor will fast-track you down the right path along with answering a lot of those questions.
    I know absolutely nothing about the gym but I've been reading a lot about training but so far nothing has taught me about gym etiquette?

As already mentioned, training gear and a towel is all you'll need. In terms of etiquette - putting anything you use away when you're finished is a good habit to get into.
    Do I need to bring a towel or is that just for people who sweat loads? Do I sit down to rest between sets or should I walk? Are the showers communal? (a big worry for me) Are there any clothing faux pas? I'm probably over thinking this but thanks in advance for your help.

Towel is handy and good etiquette, rest between sets will disappear quicker than you'll imagine. Showers vary between gyms so ask the staff or take a look.

There are as many clothing faux pas with the staff as there are with members sometimes ; ) Anything that resembles training gear is all you need really, doesn't matter if it's Penney's or Nike...oh and maybe steer clear of the t-shirts that "Allow you a licence for those guns"

Most of all enjoy it, get some work done when you're there. Find a plan you enjoy doing that'll produce results for you. It should be a place you look forward to going rather than dread once you get over that initial anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

So I've decided to bite the bullet and join a gym- the glenroyal in maynooth- and I'm looking for advice. I've suffered from anxiety and I am still dealing with it and this is causing me a good deal of worry. I know absolutely nothing about the gym but I've been reading a lot about training but so far nothing has taught me about gym etiquette? Do I need to bring a towel or is that just for people who sweat loads? Do I sit down to rest between sets or should I walk? Are the showers communal? (a big worry for me) Are there any clothing faux pas? I'm probably over thinking this but thanks in advance for your help.
    Hey!! A fellow sufferer of anxiety, especially in new situations, I'm also excited about joining a gym! I'm mostly afraid of not knowing how to use the equipment. Or where to go, how to start, yes it's something I'd love to have someone hold my hand and walk me through! Hopefully people here can help us both out.

Well done, guys! It can be tough starting out in a new gym. Fair play to you both :)

Feeling nervous is normal but, over the coming weeks, you'll get a lot more comfortable with the space.

Re etiquette: like everything in life, just be considerate of other users. There's nothing else to worry about.

Keep us updated on how you get on and ask any questions you want :)

• Advertisement

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Well done, guys! It can be tough starting out in a new gym. Fair play to you both :)

Feeling nervous is normal but, over the coming weeks, you'll get a lot more comfortable with the space.

Re etiquette: like everything in life, just be considerate of other users. There's nothing else to worry about.

Keep us updated on how you get on and ask any questions you want :)

Anxiety about new situations is normal of course, but people who suffer from anxiety disorders can't see the "normal", we're terrified of new situations! Hard to explain. Your advice is great, and helps a lot. Will let you know how I get on!

I wear glasses, I can't see a thing without, and can't wear contacts cause my eyes are too dry. Do you think this might be a problem for me? My boyfriend is the same. In fact we've gone swimming sometimes together and the act of finding your way from the changing room to the pool is a very scary experience.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Anxiety about new situations is normal of course, but people who suffer from anxiety disorders can't see the "normal", we're terrified of new situations! Hard to explain. Your advice is great, and helps a lot. Will let you know how I get on!

I wear glasses, I can't see a thing without, and can't wear contacts cause my eyes are too dry. Do you think this might be a problem for me? My boyfriend is the same. In fact we've gone swimming sometimes together and the act of finding your way from the changing room to the pool is a very scary experience.

I wear my glasses in the gym all the time and it's never been a problem. My eye sight isn't even that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Glasses aren't an issue at all. I see plenty of people in the gym wearing them, including at a competition last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

[ust be
    I wear my glasses in the gym all the time. I only take them off for jiujitsu. You can get prescription goggles if you want to swim a lot. But considering revisiting contacts. The latest dailys are very comfortable. Feel like that are made of water

Mellor wrote: »
    I wear my glasses in the gym all the time. I only take them off for jiujitsu. You can get prescription goggles if you want to swim a lot. But considering revisiting contacts. The latest dailys are very comfortable. Feel like that are made of water

Thanks everyone for the advice! It's good to know glasses are common in the gym! I just used to have friends look at me like I was stupid for wearing my glasses out running. Kind of easier when you can see the ground isn't it. I'll get prescription goggles if I get into swimming much. Contacts are still a no go, it's not the contacts that are the problem, it's my own eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Don't forget to bring a bottle of water and some headphones to use on the cardio equipment if they have a tv screen. My gym also required you to use your own padlock for the lockers (just get a cheap one in the euro shop).
    I wear tracksuit trousers and a t shirt over my sports bra. I don't like feeling too exposed - although some ladies wear more tight fitting outfits.
    Ask for an induction tour and programme from one of the instructors in your first week. Even if you end up ignoring their programme it will get you settled in and orientated.
    Enjoy it- you are doing something positive for yourself- well done.

Don't forget to bring a bottle of water and some headphones to use on the cardio equipment if they have a tv screen. My gym also required you to use your own padlock for the lockers (just get a cheap one in the euro shop).
    I wear tracksuit trousers and a t shirt over my sports bra. I don't like feeling too exposed - although some ladies wear more tight fitting outfits.
    Ask for an induction tour and programme from one of the instructors in your first week. Even if you end up ignoring their programme it will get you settled in and orientated.
    Enjoy it- you are doing something positive for yourself- well done.

You wont find me running around in a sports bra either! Earphones are a bit of a problem though, I find it very hard to get them to stay in my ears. Does the machine talk to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Thanks everyone for the advice! It's good to know glasses are common in the gym! I just used to have friends look at me like I was stupid for wearing my glasses out running. Kind of easier when you can see the ground isn't it. I'll get prescription goggles if I get into swimming much. Contacts are still a no go, it's not the contacts that are the problem, it's my own eyes.

Just on the eyes, have you ever tried anything like blink or hylotear? I used to have terrible dry eyes and used hylo tear over the space of a few months and now have no problems at all. I used to always have a sticky white puss building up under my bottom eyelid.

guil wrote: »
    Just on the eyes, have you ever tried anything like blink or hylotear? I used to have terrible dry eyes and used hylo tear over the space of a few months and now have no problems at all. I used to always have a sticky white puss building up under my bottom eyelid.

One of my eyes is too small for traditional lenses. I'd have to have a custom pair made, then my eyes are so dry that I'd only be able to wear them for a few hours at a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

guil wrote: »
    You wont find me running around in a sports bra either! Earphones are a bit of a problem though, I find it very hard to get them to stay in my ears. Does the machine talk to you?

Our gym has a mini tv on each treadmill/stepper/bike etc. You plug in your own headphones and choose a channel. You can then watch a programme while you work out to relieve the monotony. I usually watch a quiz show and it makes me stay on the machine a bit longer as I want to see who wins!
    It's not a necessity but it's my fav part of going to the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Earphones never stay in my ears either, and I don't like the thought of big headphones and sweaty ears, so I personally go without them, but I can see for some people they are a great help. I also wear my glasses to the gym all the time and am certainly not the only one! You have loads of great advice here, I just wanted to hop on the thread to wish you good luck and say well done :) 
    Just ignore everyone in the gym, they were all new once too. I am  lucky in that I live in a country where I don't speak the language so it's easy for me to go to the gym and completely block out all the conversations around me hahha! Also makes it easier not to care what people think as I've been going for about a year now and have never seen someone I know, so I feel very invisible in there, it's nice. I try and do the same when I'm in the gym back home too, just focus on my own workout and let that be it. Well done again :D

Advertisement