Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does a 'mother's help' do?

Options
  • 25-01-2017 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

I was discussing childcare with a friend and they suggested I look for a 'mother's help'. Basically, I have 2 toddlers and am due no 3 soon. I work from home part time, usually in the evenings once the kids are in bed.

I was thinking that when the new baby arrives, I might be better off finding some childcare so that I can get some work done in the mornings instead. However, there is a huge shortage of childminders in my area, plus I would be reluctant to send a newborn to someone else's house.

Unfortunately we don't have room for an au pair. I was thinking about getting someone in to watch the kids for 3 hours every day, while I work upstairs. Not ideal, I know, but I think I could make it work. I wouldn't even work every day, but I think it'll still be handy to have someone on hand to give a hand with the kids.

Is this what a mother's help does? Does the minimum wage/prsi stuff apply as normal? How hard will it be to find someone to do this? (as it's not a typical nanny/cm job)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭screamer

I don't know what it is, I could sure do with one! But having looked into it, anyone who comes to work in your house is considered a domestic worker and is entitled to be treated as an employee with minimum wage applicable, and you liable for employer PRSI. You must also give them a contract of employment stating holidays etc, holiday pay when they take them, a payslip and filing of their tax PRSI USC etc to the revenue commissioners. In short, that's not a help, that's a headache in my mind. I didn't bother in the end.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Could you send the older two to a childminder/creche a couple of mornings or afternoons a week, and either work yourself at home with the newborn or maybe look at getting someone into the house to look after the newborn to give you a couple of hours to work, while the other two are away? I'd be the same, I'd want my newborn with me or very close by in the house.

Needs must and all that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

How about seeing if there is a babysitting agency that would meet your needs? That way you are paying for a service and the agency is the employer. It might take some research and negotiation to ensure you have the same sitter all the time but you would surely be an extremely valuable client to such an agency and they might be able to make it work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Sending the older 2 to a cm isn't really an option tbh because there are none close enough to me to make it worthwhile. I would have to load them all up in the car for a 30 minute round trip at each end.

I hadn't thought of using a babysitting service, I'll definitely look into that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

A couple of work colleagues of mine have found people by advertising on local radio. They've gotten ladies of a slightly older vintage who wouldn't be reliant on a certain number of hours, and were happy to come as needed, as they hadn't previously worked outside the home

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A mothers help is often an au pair or anyone that comes in and does some housework/childminding/what ever you need.

If it is a regular job then yes min wage and prsi apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I have a17 year old girl as a 'mothers help' or a babysitter. She will come over to mind my 3 kids when I am there so I can change bed clothes, Hoover, or do some work upstairs. She brings them out to the garden or for a walk to the park or shops, puts there tea on, helps me tidy up after dinner.
    Obviously as she is in school hours are limited. Also sometimes when I am upstairs working on my computer my one year old gets really clingy and screams to come upstairs to me.
    I pay her €8 an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Sorry just to add , I think what you are looking for would be something more full time , I only get my babysitter every couple if weeks or twice a week in summertime

Advertisement