Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring a house

Options
  • 25-01-2017 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

We're in the process of buying my mother-in-law's house and it will need a complete re-fit. It needs to be completely rewired (there are still 2 pin plugs in some of the rooms !). I have a buddy who will come in and the plan is for him to strip things back, ready for an Electrician/Plumber etc to do their stuff.

I'd appreciate it if someone could fill me in as regards what an Electrician would like to have done before he comes in ? It's a standard 1960s 3 bed semi detached house, and apart from perhaps a small lean to extension to the tv room to match the kitchen one, we don't plan any external work. The current junction box is under the stairs, but I believe that will be placed outside.

So, should we take down the ceiling plasterboard for rewiring etc ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Lift the floorboards

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mumha wrote: »
    I'd appreciate it if someone could fill me in as regards what an Electrician would like to have done before he comes in ?

Clear the house as much as possible including the attic.
    Less junk / stuff = faster rewire = Lower cost
    The current junction box is under the stairs, but I believe that will be placed outside.

I assume that you mean the ESB meter ?
    So, should we take down the ceiling plasterboard for rewiring etc ?

In the kitchen? Perhaps as there is no attic above it. It would be best to get an electrician on board ASAP. Quotes along with advice are generally free. No point in doing a lot of unnecessary work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I have a buddy who will come in

Do him a favour and clean the house as much as possible, including the attic and under the stairs. Make sure there's a kettle, toaster, plenty of biscuits and some toilet roll in the house when he gets there. After that leave him to it, a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

2011 wrote: »
    Clear the house as much as possible including the attic.
    Less junk / stuff = faster rewire = Lower cost

I assume that you mean the ESB meter ?

In the kitchen? Perhaps as there is no attic above it. It would be best to get an electrician on board ASAP. Quotes along with advice are generally free. No point in doing a lot of unnecessary work!

Yes, sorry, I confused myself, the ESB meter will be on the outside of the house and the fuse board which is currently under the stairs, will be moved as that space will provide a downstairs toilet.

Re Plasterboard, new electrical wiring would need to be passed through to the other downstairs rooms, and I was thinking that it might be easier to take off the downstairs ceiling plasterboard, rather than lifting the floorboards upstairs ?

Thanks, getting an electrician in early is good advice.

Do him a favour and clean the house as much as possible, including the attic and under the stairs. Make sure there's a kettle, toaster, plenty of biscuits and some toilet roll in the house when he gets there. After that leave him to it, a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

The buddy is the one who will be stripping the house back, so that it is ready for the pros to come in and do their thing. I wanted to get a To do list for him to get on with, rather than waste the Electrician/Plumber time at the other end. It will be at least two months before I can get any pros in, but then I don't want to waste time after that .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

While you have the opportunity, rip out all the plaster from the walls and lift the floorboards. Have a plumber inspect the pipework and replace anything as necessary. Get the house rewired and have them include other kinds of cabling like network cabling, alarm wire, etc. Replaster with a modern level of insulation.
    Big job, relatively expensive, but you won't get another chance like it and it'll make a huge difference in the long run.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I was thinking that it might be easier to take off the downstairs ceiling plasterboard, rather than lifting the floorboards upstairs ?

This would not be the normal approach. Lifting floorboards is generally not that difficult. If you remove the plasterboard on the ceilings you will add a lot of expense to the overall project. I would not recommend this unless the plasterboard had to be replaced anyway.

seamus wrote: »
    While you have the opportunity, rip out all the plaster from the walls and lift the floorboards. Have a plumber inspect the pipework and replace anything as necessary. Get the house rewired and have them include other kinds of cabling like network cabling, alarm wire, etc. Replaster with a modern level of insulation.
    Big job, relatively expensive, but you won't get another chance like it and it'll make a huge difference in the long run.

Thanks, that's what I hope to do. Should I go to an architect for something like this ?

2011 wrote: »
    This would not be the normal approach. Lifting floorboards is generally not that difficult. If you remove the plasterboard on the ceilings you will add a lot of expense to the overall project. I would not recommend this unless the plasterboard had to be replaced anyway.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Advertisement